Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
(free) Kindle-- 2 by John R. Maxim - Thriller/ mystery/Adventure

at Amazon, 2 free books today by traditionally published John R. Maxim.
These would probably be classed as Thrillers, Action/Adventure, or mystery (mystery probably at the library, but the other 2 genres are probably more accurate.)
Whistler's Angel (The Bannerman Series)
http://www.amazon.com/Whistlers-Ange...275194&sr=1-14

The protagonist is a 'sanctioned' assassin for shadowy US government agencies, who wants out of the game. This book is listed as part of Maxim's Bannerman series, but it seems more a parallel series to me.

Also offered, The Shadow Box
http://www.amazon.com/The-Shadow-Box...275599&sr=1-10
This one is not part of a series. Normal guy forced by circumstances to do extraordinary things.

If you enjoy Lee Child's 'Reacher' series, the Donald Westlake/Richard Starker series, or Thomas Perry's 'Butcher boy' books, I think you'll like Maxim very much.
I've read all the John R. Maxim I can get my hands on at the library, and would buy a paper version of any I ran across at the used book store, so I'm excited to find these.
If this is in your vein, I'd also suggest that you go over to the Reading Recommendations forum (on MR), and read thru a recent thread started by Hard-boiled Pat titled "who's your Hard Man" for a lot of good suggestions on authors/series that also fit this genre. (Thanks, hard-boiled Pat!)

KentE
KentE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thanks for the info on these. I've downloaded them.

Now to my question:

Has anyone noticed that these are HORRIBLY formatted, with different font sizes, boldfaced type, and screwed up indents?

My copies were filtered through calibre, by the way.

(I'll be deleting these from my Amazon account and from my Kindle/epub Reader as "Unreadable.")

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-26-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Now to my question:

Has anyone noticed that these are HORRIBLY formatted, with different font sizes, boldfaced type, and screwed up indents?
Oh my, yes, they are awful! And I don't fix books. I'm pretty tolerant with most formatting issues, so something that's bad enough for me to say "No!" just isn't worth the time.

If I think of it later, I'll look for a way to notify him of the issues.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

re: formatting

I haven't transferred them to Calibre yet, but did check the first in Kindle4PC (just a quick look).
Unfortunately, I can confirm that it's not a Calibre conversion issue. (Well, actually, that's fortunate, since we use Calibre for nearly everything!)
I see the formatting problems you mention-- I don't know how you screw it up this badly! Since I'm a Maxim fan, I'll read through the problems. If I didn't already know I'd like the books.....
I'll also try to pass word about the issues up the chain, somehow. It really hurts when a good author doesn't get read because of these problems!

Kent E
Old 02-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I used the "bad formatting" reporting facility that Amazon provides waaaaay down the page. Looks like a case of "blockquotes gone bad" to me.
Advert
Old 02-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
2 books on UK site with "Shadow Box " as title.. Tha other one's £2-40....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
I "bought" these earlier, bit had not dl'ed them yet. Sounds as if it would not not be worth the bother.

Besides DRM and lousy pricing in some cases, poor formatting is one of my major "issues" with ebooks. What are we ebook readers? Chopped liver?

Yes, I know these are currently free, but in theory they are priced at $9.95 each.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Another Maxim book (Haven) was free last week and the formatting was fine.

I sent feedback for the bad formatting on these two and deleted them.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Another Maxim book (Haven) was free last week and the formatting was fine.

I sent feedback for the bad formatting on these two and deleted them.
Hopefully you only deleted your copies, not the books from your account. If the author issues corrections, he can have Amazon notify all purchasers, so you can get an update.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Hopefully you only deleted your copies, not the books from your account. If the author issues corrections, he can have Amazon notify all purchasers, so you can get an update.
I only deleted my calibre copy, for just that reason. What I skimmed checking the file looked like it might be interesting if the formatting was readable, so I'm hoping it gets fixed.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #11
KentE
...still a Zealot

John R. Maxim-- corrected versions should be coming soon!

After the comments about the poor formatting in these 2 books, I sent an email to John R. Maxim through his website page over the weekend.
I received a personal reply from him this morning. Mr. Maxim indicates he's working on getting corrected versions up, on both Amazon and Nook websites, and mentioned that he appreciated reader feedback for problems like this.
A quick response from an author who obviously is concerned about the quality of the ebook product! In my personal opinion, he also delivers great writing quality. If the corrected versions become available, I'd recommend that you try downloading it again, and give him a chance to convince you of the same.

KentE
Old 02-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Thanks for the update, KentE!
Old 02-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thanks, KentE.

Fortunately, I haven't deleted them from Amazon.

Until then, they'll remain unread.

In all my 2+years buying ebooks from Amazon these are, without a doubt, the worst-formatted ebooks I've ever encountered.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote