Old 01-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
menders
menders began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sigil will not start

Hello all,

I installed Sigil from this PPA:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/rgibert/ebook/ubuntu oneiric main
I am running the Lubuntu version of Ubuntu. When I try to start Sigil graphically it just quietly fails. When I try to start it from the command line I get this error:

QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme.
Illegal instruction

Edit01
I have since uninstalled the version installed with the PPA and used the install script from the website and I now get this error:

/opt/sigil/sigil: error while loading shared libraries: libQtSvg.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Edit02
It still fails just differently.

csitt@csitt-mobile002:~$ /opt/sigil/sigil.sh
/opt/sigil/sigil: error while loading shared libraries: libpulse-mainloop-glib.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
csitt@csitt-mobile002:~$ /opt/sigil/sigil
/opt/sigil/sigil: error while loading shared libraries: libQtSvg.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
csitt@csitt-mobile002:~$

Last edited by menders; 01-24-2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: New Information
menders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
Ahmad Samir
Zealot
Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

You need to use /opt/sigil/sigil.sh, this script modifies the LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that the Qt libs bundled with Sigil can be loaded.

FWIW, the error you got with the Ubuntu package is probably due to your system defaulting to use the GTK+ Qt style, and it's complaining that it can't detect your current GTK style. Anyway, you can workaround that error by specifying the Qt style, e.g.:
Code:
$ sigil -style Cleanlooks
$ sigil -style Plastique
Ahmad Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
bodycoach2
bodycoach2 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I'm having the same problem. Sigil start fine in Ubuntu, but does not start in Lubuntu. I tried the above commands, and got "Illegal Instruction" response. Hopefully, we can get this working someday. Lubuntu is an excellent way to keep old hardware in use.
bodycoach2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:01 AM   #4
Ahmad Samir
Zealot
Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

@menders: Sorry, I didn't get an email notification from this topic since you edited your first post instead of posting a new one.

For the error you got, install the libpulse-mainloop-glib0 package then try again.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
bodycoach2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad Samir View Post
@menders: Sorry, I didn't get an email notification from this topic since you edited your first post instead of posting a new one.

For the error you got, install the libpulse-mainloop-glib0 package then try again.
I've tried both of the above suggestions. Still no-go on Sigil starting on Lubuntu.
Advert
Old 04-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
paxmark1
Enthusiast
paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi, Debian stable with backports. I have Sigil installed to /bin in my home directory
( ~/bin/sigil/). Chmod + x was done to make it things executable. I just use the command line and navigate to ~/bin/sigil/ and then type ./sigil.sh YMMV
peace
paxmark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
Ahmad Samir
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodycoach2 View Post
I've tried both of the above suggestions. Still no-go on Sigil starting on Lubuntu.
Please post the exact command you use and the error message you get.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodycoach2 View Post
I tried the above commands, and got "Illegal Instruction" response.
Illegal instruction means you're CPU does not support a CPU feature the Sigil binary was compiled with and uses. Most likely it's SSE2.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #9
HarryLweber
HarryLweber began at the beginning.

Good Day everyone!

this is my very first post in this forum. so forgive me, if i am wrong in here and my question better should start another thread!

I do have the same problem that is reported in this thread. Means: I installed SIGIL on a Linux Mint (and on a Lubuntu) which both returned the error that I am not able to start SIGIL (neither via the buttons on the desktop / start menu nor via terminal)
I keep getting the same errors like "Illegal instruction" or "Warning: QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme."

So assuming that my Computer is not able to process the SIGIL software, I am looking for an alternative to create epub files by hand (with an (x)html editor) . Do you guys have any hints for me?

Greetings from the Lion
HarryLweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
mistake

Last edited by roger64; 04-14-2012 at 12:05 PM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #11
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
I use currently (won't last) both Linux Mint 12 (32 bits) and LMDE 64. Gnome on both. Never had any problem with Sigil. I always downloaded the binary from Code.Google.com

My two cents.

If you look for a EPUB converter, I would advise LibreOffice and its extension writer2xhtml which are opensource, multi-platform and efficient.

This is worth many $

Last edited by roger64; 04-14-2012 at 12:04 PM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
HarryLweber

i am not looking for a converter. I am looking for an tutorial on how to create an epub without any conversion or anything else
Old 04-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Does this help --> Quickest, easiest, cheapest way to create an ebook?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #14
HarryLweber

Peter: Looks promising! Will have to check it when I get home... But from what i have read for now: How do I create an Table of Content in this method?

*Edit* And there seems to be a bug with Covers that dont pass Epub Validation...

Any Suggestions?

Last edited by HarryLweber; 04-14-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #15
bodycoach2

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Illegal instruction means you're CPU does not support a CPU feature the Sigil binary was compiled with and uses. Most likely it's SSE2.
Just to check, I wiped the drive, installed Ubuntu 11.10, and sigil started with no problems. The issue seems to be isolated to Lubuntu. This is a computer made in 2000 (Pentium III mobile), but it still runs just fine (Acer TravelMate 260). I prefer to run Lubuntu on this computer, as the new UI (Unity) on Ubuntu is just too slow. Lubuntu boots and runs much faster.