Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-02-2015, 01:20 PM   #1
fwren14
fwren14 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Yahoo Email Setup Help

I'm new to the forum and to ebook creation, so bear with me please. I scoured for existing posts but can't find what I need. I'm trying to email my ebook to my Kindle account via yahoo, and I'm getting:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/wizard/send_email.py", line 173, in test_email_settings
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 128, in sendmail
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtplib.py", line 308, in connect
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtplib.py", line 283, in _get_socket
File "lib/python2.7/socket.py", line 553, in create_connection
gaierror: [Errno 8] nodename nor servname provided, or not known

I'm using hostname: imap.smpt.yahoo.com and port 993 which should be correct. It is for every other device I own (including the mail app on my Mac). I tried removing "imap" but the job times out every time. I tried send to kindle and to myself, but nothing is working. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong.

My firewall is turned off, so I don't think that's the problem.

Second question (a stupid one). I'm trying to get the ebook to a beta reader, but Calibre created multiple files: azw3 epub, mobi, jpg, opf, zip, and I have no idea what to manually sent (for kindle) I tried emailing the azw3 and zip files by attaching them to an email, but Kindle Support rejected both.

While I'm trying to figure out how to get my email connectivity in Calibre straightened out, can someone please tell me which files I should be manually emailing to kindle.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Last edited by fwren14; 03-02-2015 at 01:34 PM.
fwren14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #2
fwren14

An update:

I modified the hostname to: smpt.mail.yahoo.com (left out "mail"), but I'm still having problems:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/wizard/send_email.py", line 173, in test_email_settings
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 128, in sendmail
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtplib.py", line 308, in connect
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtplib.py", line 783, in _get_socket
File "lib/python2.7/socket.py", line 571, in create_connection
error: [Errno 61] Connection refused

My double checked my username & password.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:00 PM   #3
fwren14

Ok, I found the problem. I tried a different port (465) and I can now successfully send. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:58 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
See: http://www.amazon.com/sendtokindle/email where Amazon lists the accepted input formats. Note that MOBI is supported but not AZW3 (because Amazon is apparently behind the eight ball in making use of their own in-house format ) although you can send a dual-MOBI (kindlegen makes these by default, calibre can make them if you set the right Conversion ==> MOBI Output options).

If you send dual-MOBI, then the Personal Documents service will split it into AZW3 for supported devices but not show a cover. MOBI will work properly.

Also, welcome aboard!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote