Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you change or sell your current iPad to get the iPad3?
Yes 52 37.68%
No 60 43.48%
Maybe, need to see it in action. 26 18.84%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Question Would you change your current iPad2 for the iPad3?

Let's have some fun! ...

And I think I ask the same every year, on March ... lol ...

Would you change your current and existing iPad for the iPad3? Please be aware, the poll is for those that already have one. ;-)

Last edited by jocampo; 03-06-2012 at 05:13 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
For the retina display? Absolutely. It's the one feature I'm sorely disappointed the iPad 2 didn't have. Almost didn't buy an iPad 2 because of it. Really do hope Apple releases a 128GB model.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
For the retina display? Absolutely. It's the one feature I'm sorely disappointed the iPad 2 didn't have. Almost didn't buy an iPad 2 because of it. Really do hope Apple releases a 128GB model.
I don't want to bias my own poll... but if its weight is more than what we have now, I will not.

The only reason why I returned or changed my iPad1 was because I bought it about a week before new one came out. When I confirmed iPad2 was thinner and not so heavy as iPad1, I decided to go for most recent model instead. I knew it was going to be more comfortable to hold; I was right.

I know retina display is really a nice bonus for those who use it as an ereader, but to me, weight is an important factor as well. I want something comfortable and light when reading.

Last edited by jocampo; 03-06-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I don't want to bias my own poll... but if its weight is more than what we have now, I will not.

I know retina display is really a nice bonus for those who use it as an ereader, but to me, weight is an important factor as well. I want something comfortable and light when reading.
Yeah, well, I consider the iPad 2 neither comfortable nor light. I've had it fall on my face a couple of times while reading that I only use it when I absolutely need the bigger screen (mostly for comics and manga). Heck, even the Nook Color, I consider to be too heavy.

For normal reading, I'm either on my iPhone, iPod Touch, Nexus S or PRS-350.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Yeah, well, I consider the iPad 2 neither comfortable nor light. I've had it fall on my face a couple of times while reading that I only use it when I absolutely need the bigger screen (mostly for comics and manga). For normal reading, I'm either on my iPhone, iPod Touch, Nexus S or PRS-350.
Lighter than my 1k pages MS-SQL book(s), it is ... ... but you're right, is not a really light device.

That's why I still have a eink device. I wish Amazon would improve the Kindle DXG, but I just gave up.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
I am perfectly happy with my iPad2 so I voted No. But will be interested in those that either get the iPad3 new or upgrade. Would love to know what the differences are when it comes out. Next time I upgrade will probably be iPad4.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:33 AM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My iPad just died, so I will be getting the iPad3/iPadHD. But, to be honest, I would almost certainly have upgraded anyway. Of my devices (including phone, ereader, desktop) the tablet is the device I spend most of my time on.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:10 AM   #8
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Yep. I skipped the iPad 2 (still cheerfully working every day on an original iPad) so I'll be in line for a couple of iPad 3/HDs when they're available - unless they turn out to be really not what I want, in which case I'll save a few quid and pick a couple of iPad 2s whilst I still can

I know the 4G thing seems to be a hot topic but I wonder if the folks who want it would be prepared to pay extra for it? It wouldn't surprise me if this option was added as an extra tier to the pricing structure e.g. WiFi only, WiFi + 3G, WiFi +4G - even though it goes against the 'minimal number of SKUs possible' ethos, Apple is a global company (~60% of last quarter's revenue from outside the US and no sign of that reducing any time soon) and 4G networks outside the US seems to be mostly in the planning stage, currently.

Cheers, Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:53 AM   #9
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Replace .. no .. but I'll most likely add the HD version to the iPad 1 I have.

I guess the 2048x1536 display must be pure eye candy for reading.

And most likely also the 7" iPad mini when it does come out later this year to replace my Kindle Fire ... http://www.oled-display.net/apple-ip...future-ipads/#

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited by Andy_T; 03-07-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #10
ac4lt
Connoisseur
ac4lt began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
I'm probably going to upgrade unless the price takes a jump up. I use my ipad2 every day for reading, email, web and other stuff. A better display, faster processor and LTE would probably be enough to get me to upgrade.
ac4lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #11
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I am still using an iPad 1 so I will likely either get the iPad 3 or upgrade on the cheap to the iPad 2. I don't care about retina, I just want it to be lighter and smaller than my iPad 1. Also, the battery on my 1 is not that great anymore.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #12
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
We currently have an original iPad and an Asus Transformer TF101. IF we upgrade it may be to an iPad2 to replace the iPad and maybe the iPad3 to replace the Asus if the display and features are worth it. I like the TF but miss the apps store as I find the qualityof the apps I use frequently are better on the iOS platform. Not sure I have much interest in a possible 7 inch iPad if it comes to fruition. Asus is supposed to be introducing a 7.5" tablet later this year.
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I bought an iPad 2 about 10 days ago, so yes, I'm going to return it within the 14-day return period. It seems silly not to do so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #14
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I bought an iPad 2 about 10 days ago, so yes, I'm going to return it within the 14-day return period. It seems silly not to do so.
Ohh! so you did the same I did with iPad1 ...

If that's the case, that may be a good idea. Even from price perspective if you later want to buy the iPad2 anyway. Prices should drop this week, if not already, for existing models.

Last edited by jocampo; 03-07-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Fixing a Typo
Old 03-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #15
Casey57
Connoisseur
Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3/Kindle Fire/Kindle Touch/iPhone/iPod/iPad
I have the iPad 1 and am starting to experience sporadic battery issues and automatic shutdowns. Nothing I can’t live with, but I see the writing on the wall. Since I use my iPad on a daily basis, I am anxiously awaiting today’s announcement of enhancements of the iPad3. I would still go for the WIFI though.
Casey57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad3