Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Just don't understand embedded fonts

Rather than verbally explain my confusion, I've uploaded an epub file that I use to test results of coding changes. In it I have defined four font faces: ArialN, LiberationMono, LiberationSans and LiberationSerif each with bold, italic and bold-italic.

In the "body" I have defined "ArialN" as the font family. Every thing works as expected including bolding and italicization. If I change the font family the font changes but the bolding and italicization does not follow.

Can anybody tell me what I'm missing?

Please read my next post and disregard the attachment below.

Regards - John

P.S. Sorry, I didn't know the file was this big. Should have zipped it.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Test File Fonts MethLab.epub (1.38 MB, 200 views)

Last edited by Jabby; 05-20-2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Correcting error
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@font-face {
font-family: "ArialN";
font-style: normal;
font-weight: normal;
src:url(../Fonts/ArialN-Regular.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
src:url(../Fonts/ArialN-Bold.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-style: italic;
src:url(../Fonts/ArialN-BoldItalic.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-style: italic;
font-weight: normal;
src:url(../Fonts/ArialN-Italic.ttf);
}

That's what works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's what works.
Sorry I wasn't clear with my question. I'll try again.

I am uploading a new file with four chapters each with the same text and same exact same coding which is a mixture of bold and italic. The only difference between these chapters is that each uses a different font.

If you look at chapter 1 you will see the font style with the bolding and italicization. In all the other chapters you can see the font style change but not the bolding and italicization.

My question is why? It makes no sense to me and I am hoping that someone can enlighten me.

Regards - John
Attached Files
File Type: epub Test File Fonts MethLab.epub (1.38 MB, 201 views)
Old 05-20-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
If you look at chapter 1 you will see the font style with the bolding and italicization. In all the other chapters you can see the font style change but not the bolding and italicization.

My question is why? It makes no sense to me and I am hoping that someone can enlighten me.
The bold and italics look fine in the Sony Reader Library viewer. I think this is a problem with the Sigil viewer that has been previously discussed elsewhere in the Sigil forum.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
The bold and italics look fine in the Sony Reader Library viewer. I think this is a problem with the Sigil viewer that has been previously discussed elsewhere in the Sigil forum.
I had read that about the Sigil viewer and had decided to test the file against the PC version of Cool Reader, FB Reader, the Firefox Plug-in and the Calibre viewer. All failed in one way or another with Calibre being the closest. So much for standards.

I downloaded the Sony viewer and everything worked as you said. I suppose that means that the file is OK (95%?).

One thing that I just noticed. The calibre viewer and the Sigil viewer fail in exactly the same way. Makes me think that the Calibre viewer was the starting point for the Sigil viewer.

Regards - John

Last edited by Jabby; 05-21-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
I had read that about the Sigil viewer and had decided to test the file against the PC version of Cool Reader, FB Reader, the Firefox Plug-in and the Calibre viewer. All failed in one way or another with Calibre being the closest. So much for standards.

I downloaded the Sony viewer and everything worked as you said. I suppose that means that the file is OK (95%?).

One thing that I just noticed. The calibre viewer and the Sigil viewer fail in exactly the same way. Makes me think that the Calibre viewer was the starting point for the Sigil viewer.

Regards - John
IIRC The core software for both viewers is the same(QTWebkit).

I was working on a section number (only) page:
Sigil renders a ADE can't center workaround too far Right.
Calibre, too far Right

ADE (on the reader), close to what I wanted
ADE on the PC, Perfect
EPUBReader (firefox), close
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
I have been experienting trying to learn how to put fonts into Sigil with little luck. I obviously have no understanding of the process.

The following is at the head of the CSS.
Code:
@font-face {
	font-family: "Garfeld";
	src:url(../Fonts/"GarfeldAntique Bold.ttf");
}
The call for the font is below in the CSS.
Code:
p, div {
	margin-top: 0;
	margin-bottom: .5em;
	margin-right: 0;
	margin-left: 0;
	text-indent: 1.5em;
	text-stye: bold;
	font-family:Garfeld,"Times New Roman", Times, serif;
}
The following is from the OPF.
Code:
<item href="Fonts/GarfeldAntique%20Bold.ttf" id="GarfeldAntiqueBold.ttf" media-type="application/x-font-ttf" />
The font is attached and was downloaded from a free site.
All this has no effect. Can someone point out mt errors?
Attached Files
File Type: rar GarfeldAntique Bold.rar (48.2 KB, 173 views)

Last edited by crutledge; 05-21-2011 at 12:39 PM.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #8
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
IIRC The core software for both viewers is the same(QTWebkit).

I was working on a section number (only) page:
Sigil renders a ADE can't center workaround too far Right.
Calibre, too far Right

ADE (on the reader), close to what I wanted
ADE on the PC, Perfect
EPUBReader (firefox), close
Hi Ducks-
I had forgotten I even had the PC version of ADE, I use it so infrequently. It read my file perfectly as far as the fonts were concerned. It goofed me up when ADE wouldn't increase/decrease the font size because I had defined the font size as 16pt in the CSS. I had to go back and set it as "em's" to get it to work. As I said earlier - so much for standards.

Regards - John
Old 05-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But having pt is correct as far as keeping the font at a fixed size. em is a variable size and can change as needed.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
I have been experienting trying to learn how to put fonts into Sigil with little luck. I obviously have no understanding of the process.

The following is at the head of the CSS.
Code:
@font-face {
}
The call for the font is below in the CSS.
Code:
p, div {
	text-stye: bold;
	font-family:Garfeld,"Times New Roman", Times, serif;
}
The following is from the OPF.
Code:
<item href="Fonts/GarfeldAntique%20Bold.ttf" id="GarfeldAntiqueBold.ttf" media-type="application/x-font-ttf" />
The font is attached and was downloaded from a free site.
All this has no effect. Can someone point out mt errors?
Hi Charlie-

Couple of suggestions:
Replace this:
@font-face {
With
@font-face {
font-family: "GarfeldAntique";
src:url(../Fonts/GarfeldAntique Bold.ttf);

Replace this line:
font-family:Garfeld,"Times New Roman",
With
font-family:"GarfeldAntique";

I think this may work. Let me know so we can both learn.

Regards - John

P.S. The @font-face statement is not required to be at the top of the style sheet as far as I can tell.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #11
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Tried what you said, but something is still wrong!!!

See attached ePub I've been experimenting with. Perhaps someone can make it work and send it to me.

I'd surely like to see a pony. Maybe an ebook that works. I'm probably making it haeder than it truly is.
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Schoolmaster and Felicia.epub (175.6 KB, 208 views)
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #12
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Quote:

See attached ePub I've been experimenting with. Perhaps someone can make it work and send it to me.

I'd surely like to see a pony. Maybe an ebook that works. I'm probably making it haeder than it truly is.
Hi again Charlie-
I think that your font file may be faulty, so.....

I'm not sure just what you are trying to do. If you are wanting a different font for the text, here are a couple of examples. I selected a serif and a sans serif font. Remember - epubs look different depending on the reader.

I have added font files, @font face statements and altered your "h1...h6" and the "p" definitions.

I think the best way to control fonts is to add the entire font group (regular, bold italic and bolditalic). This way gives you more options in the books appearance.

Regards - John
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Schoolmaster Sans.epub (349.2 KB, 178 views)
File Type: epub The Schoolmaster Serif.epub (266.4 KB, 171 views)
Old 05-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Whatever it is you did, the base font is microscopic and unable to be sized so it can be read.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #14
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Whatever it is you did, the base font is microscopic and unable to be sized so it can be read.
I just downloaded both of them and played them on ADE viewer, Sony viewer, Firefox Plug-in and Calibre viewer. They looked OK here. But who knows. This stuff is mostly black magic anyway.

What reader were you using?

Anybody else having this problem?

Regards - John
Old 05-22-2011, 04:54 AM   #15
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
@crutledge: I looked at your file in the Desktop ADE and I see the microscopic font size, too.

I took also a closer look at your CSS file and there are two things that ADE does not like.

1)
Code:
a: {
	color: black;
}
should be

Code:
a {
	color: black;
}
2)
Code:
p, div {
	font-size: 2 em;
	font-family:GarfeldAntique,"Times New Roman", Times, serif;
}
ADE doesn't like the space between '2' and 'em' in the font-size statement.

After correcting these, your font does display in ADE.

By the way, why do you want the font size of the text to be bigger than the font size of the title? (text: 200% = 2em; h3.chapter: 150% = 1.5em)

Last edited by Sunlite; 05-22-2011 at 04:55 AM. Reason: fixed spelling mistakes
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote