Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-18-2013, 02:21 AM   #16
rayandreas
rayandreas began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire hd 8.9
greetings,

I am new here but am also in a similar situation. I am trying to help a friend who's daughter got burned on craigslist and bought a demo model hd 8.9 What is sad is that she saved that little bit of money for like almost a year only to buy this lemon. Well, neddless to say, I took on the challenge of trying to get a stock or android rom on it to no avail so far. I did experiment and used kingo root and it rooted it and installed SU. It also is now registered to me through amazon. I got it to go into fastboot mode but am stuck at waiting for device. I am at a standstill now but would really like to get this going for her. Any bones you can throw my way?
rayandreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #17
cicsos2
Enthusiast
cicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to behold

Device: kindle Kbd, Fire(N2A), & 8.9
Take a look at http://n2aos.com/ ... in particular the http://n2aos.com/forum/n2aos-restore2stock-r2s/ discussion. I don't know if this would help or not.
cicsos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #18
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Two items, there is a demo/normal setting in settings on some android systems I believe.

Secondly the N2AOS worked for me a few days ago. You download an exe from their site, run it on the pc, it then downloads the system to the kindle and installs, took maybe 20 minutes on my slow dsl. They also offer a restore feature that I think works in a similar manner.

Works nice and worth the 19 bucks to me.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #19
JayOf72
JayOf72 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire Demo
@rayandreas:
You've gotten farther than I ever did...I was never able to root with the various programs I tried.
I googled 'kingo root' to see what it was. After reading that it may contain malware/spyware I'll be staying away from that one

@cicsos2:
I checked out the N2Aos Restore2stock link you gave. Might work if someone can boot their kindle into into Recovery/TWRP mode (mine won't)
JayOf72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:42 PM   #20
jraw123
jraw123 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire hdx7
Luck

I bought one of these at a snip from a store and got lucky with this. held the off button until off properly (15-20 second). I then switched it back on. Then I repeated the step but also held down both volume keys. I messed around like this always keeping the off button pressed in then released them all and switched it on again. It upset itself and sent me to the factory reset screen. Which I did. on reboot it downloaded the latest software updates and registered etc etc. Works a charm.
jraw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2015, 10:59 PM   #21
JayOf72

Nice jraw123. Hopefully that'll work for others here!
I'd try it on mine if it wasn't dead..
Old 02-14-2015, 07:04 AM   #22
highskyhi
highskyhi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle , Nook
Smile try this

in the home page ...type ;resell and press the Go arrow key
it should work...do update
highskyhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #23
UncleRogi
UncleRogi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire 5th Gen & various Paperwhites
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraw123 View Post
I bought one of these at a snip from a store and got lucky with this. held the off button until off properly (15-20 second). I then switched it back on. Then I repeated the step but also held down both volume keys. I messed around like this always keeping the off button pressed in then released them all and switched it on again. It upset itself and sent me to the factory reset screen. Which I did. on reboot it downloaded the latest software updates and registered etc etc. Works a charm.
I know this is an old post, but this post from JRaw123 was the key to figuring it all out! Thank you so much for taking the time to post what you found out. I too am posting for those that are searching for the answer to this.

Here's the skinny on this: I bought, on purpose, a Kindle Fire 5th generation demo unit from eBay ($10!) as it initially appeared easier to reload than a paperwhite kindle. HA! Nothing worked - bought a factory cable, couldn't get it to work with any of the downloads for reflashing the Kindle Fire. All attempts to reload it resulted in the program(s) either hanging or claiming that the unit was not in fastboot mode.

Turns out you don't need any of that stuff! Here's what you do:

1) Turn the Kindle Fire off.

2) Press and hold the Volume Down button.
3) While holding that button down, press and hold the Power button until the unit turns on. This will take at least 10 seconds to start up. Be patient and keep holding the buttons.

Normally, when you turn on the Kindle Fire, you see in the upper left corner "Normal Boot". When you power on the above way, you will instead see "Recovery Mode". After a few seconds a menu pops up that looks like this:

-----------------------------------------
Amazon system recovery <3e>

Volume up/down to move highlight;
enter button to select.

reboot system now (highlighted)
apply update from ADB
wipe data/factory reset (<-- this is the one you want!)
wipe cache partition
reboot to bootloader
power down
view recovery logs
------------------------------------------

4) Use the Vol up/down to move the highlight to the "wipe data/factory reset" entry and press the power button (i.e. 'enter') to select it. Follow through all the warnings and do it!

5) Reboot the Kindle Fire. Be patient - it will take several minutes for it to boot. When it does, it's like a new Kindle. It will ask for you language, etc. Amazon had no problem recognizing it and accepting it.

Hope that helps someone out!

Uncle Rogi

P.S. If anyone is interested, holding both the Vol Up and Vol down and Power button at the same time will boot up the unit in "fastboot" mode. I.E. instead of saying "Normal Boot" or "Recovery Mode" in the upper left corner, it will say "Fast Boot".

Last edited by UncleRogi; 11-09-2016 at 02:48 PM. Reason: adding clarifying text
UncleRogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:41 PM   #24
JayOf72

@UncleRogi:
Kinda funny I was just recently thinking about this forum (haven't been on here in quite awhile .lol. )

Nice to hear that works! I'd try it myself just to see...If my Kindle hadn't died completely back in 2014