Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-27-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
GoldThreader
Zealot
GoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Glo
What is the best option for a better Ereader?

So, I currently own a Kobo Glo and that has been the closest thing I have found in terms of what I am looking for. This reader is missing a few things I would love to have such as 64GB Micro-SD support and being NTFS instead of FAT32.

I am looking for a ereader device that has a backlight, a zoom feature, the Kobo Glo has one that is really nice, has to be in E-Ink only, and supports the 64GB Micro-SD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I intend to use this for manga, comics, PDFs, and books. I know a higher resolution is more recommended but I like the resolution my current device has, somewhere around there seems to be perfect. Basically I am looking for an E-reader that has all the same features of the Kobo Glo but is more advanced in terms of what it can support file size wise.
GoldThreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The first thing to say is that there are no backlit eInk devices. An eInk screen is opaque, and hence cannot be backlit. All the illuminated readers are frontlit.

Other than minor variation in resolution (a lot of the modern devices have a resolution of 1024x768, rather than the older 800x600), I don't think you'll get anything significantly better than you have. You might look at something like the Pocketbook Lux, which has a 1024x768 screen and an SD card slot.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
GoldThreader
Zealot
GoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The first thing to say is that there are no backlit eInk devices. An eInk screen is opaque, and hence cannot be backlit. All the illuminated readers are frontlit.

Other than minor variation in resolution (a lot of the modern devices have a resolution of 1024x768, rather than the older 800x600), I don't think you'll get anything significantly better than you have. You might look at something like the Pocketbook Lux, which has a 1024x768 screen and an SD card slot.
Ok, well frontlit then. Well unfortunately I am not after a higher resolution if nothing supports wht i am after is there somewhere that modifies e-readers? I would reallly like to get this to support 64GB micro-SD at the very least.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
The 64G is not something you can add easily as it probably requires AFAIK another physical address line on the motherboard as well as software support.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Why must it be e-ink?

Tablets really have much better support for PDF. And you can get 64GB MicroSD's for them
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2014, 09:32 PM   #6
GoldThreader
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Why must it be e-ink?

Tablets really have much better support for PDF. And you can get 64GB MicroSD's for them
becuse I like how long they last and how environmentally friendly they are plus illuminated screens are damaging t he eyes and eink ones are not
Old 01-28-2014, 02:38 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you have any evidence that illuminated screens damage the eyes? A rather large percentage of the population spends their whole working day looking at illuminated screens (you're probably reading this on one now) and I see no evidence for an epidemic of eye damage as a result.

You may of course prefer the appearance of an eInk screen for reading on (I certainly do), but that's very different to a claim that LCD screens cause eye damage.

I would, by the way, second the recommendation of a tablet for PDFs. I have to read a lot of PDFs for academic work, and find my iPad to be perfect for the job. eInk devices generally have slow CPUs and not much RAM, and aren't good at rendering PDFs as a result. If you really do want an eInk PDF reader, you need to be looking at 9.7" screens, such as the Kindle DX or Pocketbook 922.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-28-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:51 AM   #8
GoldThreader
Zealot

Quote:
Do you have any evidence that illuminated screens damage the eyes? A rather large percentage of the population spends their whole working day looking at illuminated screens (you're probably reading this on one now) and I see no evidence for an epidemic of eye damage as a result.

You may of course prefer the appearance of an eInk screen for reading on (I certainly do), but that's very different to a claim that LCD screens cause eye damage.

I would, by the way, second the recommendation of a tablet for PDFs. I have to read a lot of PDFs for academic work, and find my iPad to be perfect for the job. eInk devices generally have slow CPUs and not much RAM, and aren't good at rendering PDFs as a result. If you really do want an eInk PDF reader, you need to be looking at 9.7" screens, such as the Kindle DX or Pocketbook 922.
I don't understand why this needs to turn into an argument about e-ink vs illuminated tablets. Ultimately its my money and I want an E-ink device. I said I didn't want a device that wasn't E-ink, if you don't like that well oh well you don't have to buy it. I however prefer E-ink devices I think they look a lot better, the battery life is fantastic, and my current device is rendering PDF files just fine. As for the screen I find that my current screen dimensions work perfectly. I don't see why I NEED to upgrade my resolution. I can read and see everything with what I have currently. Basically like I said in my original post I want the same device only with much better storage. I don't need a higher resolution, and I don't want an E-reader that's not E-ink. If you know of an E-ink reader with all the features I am looking for and it just so happens to have a better resolution, that's fine but otherwise i don't want it.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

What you're asking for doesn't exist, so we're trying to offer you alternatives.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
GoldThreader
Zealot

Quote:
What you're asking for doesn't exist, so we're trying to offer you alternatives.
Well that is unfortunate but I clearly don't want anything that's not E-ink
Old 01-29-2014, 04:54 PM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldThreader View Post
So, I currently own a Kobo Glo and that has been the closest thing I have found in terms of what I am looking for. This reader is missing a few things I would love to have such as 64GB Micro-SD support and being NTFS instead of FAT32.

I am looking for a ereader device that has a backlight, a zoom feature, the Kobo Glo has one that is really nice, has to be in E-Ink only, and supports the 64GB Micro-SD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I intend to use this for manga, comics, PDFs, and books. I know a higher resolution is more recommended but I like the resolution my current device has, somewhere around there seems to be perfect. Basically I am looking for an E-reader that has all the same features of the Kobo Glo but is more advanced in terms of what it can support file size wise.
Have you looked into the Kobo Aura HD? It is slightly bigger and has higher resolution but software-wise, I assume it's going to be similar to the Kobo Glo, it's frontlit and has a microSD card slot. I don't believe it supports NTFS and I'm not so sure about 64GB support, though. I misplaced my Kobo but I seem to recall my 64GB card not working when I tried to use it. Now, I'm not sure if it's because of the file system used (exFAT since one of my Android tablets can't recognize 64GB cards formatted as FAT32 or NTFS) or because it just can't support that capacity. In any case, it's not difficult to carry a couple 32GB microSD cards. Granted losing them might be an issue.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:02 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldThreader View Post
Well that is unfortunate but I clearly don't want anything that's not E-ink
You are aware that there are a number of different manufacturers of "e-paper" technologies? E-Ink aren't the only game in town, and not even the only manufacturer of electrophoretic displays. You're ruling out a number of interesting technologies if you say "I'm only interested in screens made by eInk". There are, for example, a number of readers on the market which use displays made by SiPix.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-29-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:14 PM   #13
bbpo8
bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Arc and Aura HD, Kindle Keyboard, and DX
I am happy with the Aura HD. The higher resolution is a big help and I like the 32Gb SD card capability. But for PDFs I much prefer a tablet, no question. Kobo is selling their older model Arc tablets at very reasonable prices - 32 GB model for $129 at their website. For serious readers, I think both a tablet and an e-ink reader are necessary tools.
bbpo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:55 PM   #14
GoldThreader
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Have you looked into the Kobo Aura HD? It is slightly bigger and has higher resolution but software-wise, I assume it's going to be similar to the Kobo Glo, it's frontlit and has a microSD card slot. I don't believe it supports NTFS and I'm not so sure about 64GB support, though. I misplaced my Kobo but I seem to recall my 64GB card not working when I tried to use it. Now, I'm not sure if it's because of the file system used (exFAT since one of my Android tablets can't recognize 64GB cards formatted as FAT32 or NTFS) or because it just can't support that capacity. In any case, it's not difficult to carry a couple 32GB microSD cards. Granted losing them might be an issue.
Well my plan is to be carrying everything on one device. I will keep the Kobo Aura HD in mind but it looks like it might just offer a higher resolution from what I have now.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:58 PM   #15
GoldThreader
Zealot

Quote:
You are aware that there are a number of different manufacturers of "e-paper" technologies? E-Ink aren't the only game in town, and not even the only manufacturer of electrophoretic displays. You're ruling out a number of interesting technologies if you say "I'm only interested in screens made by eInk". There are, for example, a number of readers on the market which use displays made by SiPix.
Well i looked up the SiPix and it doesn't look like it holds up to an e-ink screen. I wasn't aware there were other things like e-ink out there as long as its not an illuminated screen it should be fine for my needs. But, like i said it looks like SiPix doesn't look quite as nice on readers and e-ink is darker with brighter backgrounds which makes reading easier