Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #16
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
If this happens after an unplug, try rebooting the Nook without doing anything else. It's actually put things back as expected for me. I leave my shelves as a list, and when I encounter the bug, the shelf will still show the correct number. Say it will show "5" when only 2 books are really visible.

Although if you pull the SD card for any reason from the nook, it will unshelve all the books that were on the SD card (the shelf count will go down), and you will have to reshelve them when you reinsert the card.
Perhaps it is better to store ebooks in the internal memory then. It is clear that there is a problem in the mounting sequence
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #17
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
Perhaps it is better to store ebooks in the internal memory then. It is clear that there is a problem in the mounting sequence
Internal storage is absolutely the best place to store your books, if they'll fit. Unfortunately, B&N reserves most of the internal memory for Nook Store purchases, leaving only 240 mb for side-loaded content. That's just not enough space for people who like to carry around a virtual library.

It's difficult to accurately calculate how many books 240 mb holds. The largest graphic novel I've ever borrowed from the library was 198 mb (Fantastic Four #1). A quick glance shows that my ePub paperback length books range in size from 200 kb - 2 mb. Longer books, books with graphics (even chapter art) or embedded fonts and PDFs have quite large file sizes. I have 80 side-loaded items on my nook, and it's full.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #18
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
Internal storage is absolutely the best place to store your books, if they'll fit. Unfortunately, B&N reserves most of the internal memory for Nook Store purchases, leaving only 240 mb for side-loaded content. That's just not enough space for people who like to carry around a virtual library.

It's difficult to accurately calculate how many books 240 mb holds. The largest graphic novel I've ever borrowed from the library was 198 mb (Fantastic Four #1). A quick glance shows that my ePub paperback length books range in size from 200 kb - 2 mb. Longer books, books with graphics (even chapter art) or embedded fonts and PDFs have quite large file sizes. I have 80 side-loaded items on my nook, and it's full.
Sigh. And I just bought an 8Gb microSD to fit most of the books I wanted to carry with me. Most of my books are plain ePub, do not take so much room, but it is the principle which galls me.it should work!! Hope the next FW upgrade will fix it, it should be a problem of mounting sequence.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #19
linux_author
Connoisseur
linux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Nook Touch, N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
Sigh. And I just bought an 8Gb microSD to fit most of the books I wanted to carry with me. Most of my books are plain ePub, do not take so much room, but it is the principle which galls me.it should work!! Hope the next FW upgrade will fix it, it should be a problem of mounting sequence.
another poster has pointed out a different approach:

skip the idea of using 'Shelves,' and instead organize your books in folders under 'My Files' (you'll need to tap the memory card icon)

the good thing is that the Touch won't lose the books - but the bad is that you won't see the covers
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #20
kevn57
Connoisseur
kevn57 began at the beginning.

Device: Moonreader+
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Yes, there seems to be an issue with the USB connection. I would recommend you exit the book you're reading before connecting to the PC. Probably the safest is to be in the Home screen or in the Settings screen when in USB mode (avoid the Library and the Reader).
I had the same problem, but since reading this post and following your advice it seems to work ok now. Thanks
kevn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #21
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
I have also run in to this issue. I haven't attempted any of the various fixes yet. Though I did move pretty much all of the content I care about shelving from the micro SD card to main memory. Fortunately I don't have that extensive a library that I want shelved. Around 120-130 odd books on 10 shelves and it all fits in main memory just fine, about 150MB free with those books and about a dozen jpegs for some custom wallpaper. I have about another 100 odd books, but most are miscellaneous enough I don't really care to make shelves for the content, as it would pretty much be a giant shelf of "other" as it is a lot of 1-3 books by an author, where as my other shelves are pretty much my major authors I love and enjoy with 5-40 books by each on the shelf.

As mentioned though, it bugs me that this happens. I got the 4GB micro SD card to give me some more space for my side loaded content in case I run in to that 240 odd MB cap. Granted, with new books moving forward most of my purchases are just from BN as the prices are the same from them for brand new stuff as most other ebook sellers, so that'll go in main reserved memory, but still. Principals and all that.

Hopefully a fix is in the offing for firmware version 1.11, or 1.2 or whatever the next itteration is.

Oh, and maybe fix the battery drain issue some of us are having (though I think I may have either gotten one of the work arounds to work, or else after a really good charge it is just fixed).
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #22
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I've not had any problems with my Nook STR losing it's shelf books that have been sideloaded onto the SD card. I have not removed the card since it's insertion and have about 15 books sideloaded.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #23
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
I quit messing with shelves completely. Its a waste of time. Why beat your head against a wall.

So what I do is send my books via calibre using this template
Quote:
{author_sort}/{series}/{title} - {series_index:0>2s} - {authors}
I just wish there was a proper "list" feature. I don't want to see big folders I want to see the folders as small folders in "list" form. Which you cant do.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:47 AM   #24
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
@Guns4Hire, Interesting, How does that show up in the touch menu ? Does it create a parent author folder ?
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:52 AM   #25
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle67 View Post
@Guns4Hire, Interesting, How does that show up in the touch menu ? Does it create a parent author folder ?
It was but now its not for some reason. This nook is screwy lol.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #26
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
I quit messing with shelves completely. Its a waste of time. Why beat your head against a wall.

So what I do is send my books via calibre using this template

I just wish there was a proper "list" feature. I don't want to see big folders I want to see the folders as small folders in "list" form. Which you cant do.
I personally use this and use coolreader for reading

{tags:re([\.],/!)|!|}/{authors[0]}/{authors}/{series}/{series_index:0>5.2f| |-}{title}

I use genre and sub genre for my tags so lets say
a book will be in
\!Fantasy\!Urban\J\Jim Butcher\Dresden Files\01.00-Storm Front.epub
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #27
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post

{tags:re([\.],/!)|!|}/{authors[0]}/{authors}/{series}/{series_index:0>5.2f| |-}{title}

a book will be in
I'll give it a try. But that doesn't create a proper small folder list view does it? It seems impossible the way the nook is currently implemented.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #28
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Quote:

a book will be in
I have coolreader3 on mine as well and its a decent program but I like the B&N reader better. It just seems to have more contrast and clearer fonts.

I know you can make it so you can open cr3 from the B&N library but I wish you could open the the B&N reader from the android side. Maybe you can but I haven't figured it out yet.

I like this a lot but what is with the exclamation points? Not seeing the reason for that (yet). Your setup is better than anything I've tried on the B&N library side but it still falls short because of the B&N limitations. On the android side its pretty good.

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 01-10-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:14 AM   #29
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
I have coolreader3 on mine as well and its a decent program but I like the B&N reader better. It just seems to have more contrast and clearer fonts.

I know you can make it so you can open cr3 from the B&N library but I wish you could open the the B&N reader from the android side. Maybe you can but I haven't figured it out yet.

I like this a lot but what is with the exclamation points? Not seeing the reason for that (yet). Your setup is better than anything I've tried on the B&N library side but it still falls short because of the B&N limitations. On the android side its pretty good.
It adds an exclamation in the genre folder so genre folder come before the letter folder in the file browser

other wise they don't sort properly

\!Fantasy
\A
\B
\F

instead of
\A
\B
\F
\!Fantasy

P.S
you can set the nook reader to open from android. You will have to clear defaults for the app that currently opens when you open an epub with a filebrowser. Then when you open the file again you will be asked which app you want to open with just select "reader" thats the name of the B&N reader.

To clear defaults open nook color tools All Settings>manage applications
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:57 AM   #30
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Quote:
It adds an exclamation in the genre folder so genre folder come before the letter folder in the file browser

other wise they don't sort properly

\!Fantasy
\A
\B
\F

instead of
\A
\B
\F
\!Fantasy

P.S
you can set the nook reader to open from android. You will have to clear defaults for the app that currently opens when you open an epub with a filebrowser. Then when you open the file again you will be asked which app you want to open with just select "reader" thats the name of the B&N reader.

To clear defaults open nook color tools All Settings>manage applications

Ah ok now I get the exclamations. I figured something like that but wasn't putting it together lol.

"Clear defaults" is grayed out. And it says No defaults set. So I'll have to figure that one out. Thanks for the tip, I had seen that screen pop up before (the one where you chose the readers) but it stopped popping up.

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 01-11-2012 at 05:17 AM.

Tags
nook, sdhc, shelves, troubleshooting