Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 06:31 AM   #1
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
Connecting to Pocketbook 302

I am using Calibre 0.7.7 with a Pocketbook 302. This is not a known device to Calibre. However, prior to this current version, whenever I plugged the PB302 in, Calibre sensed the connection, and came up with a label on the connection icons of something like PB302. It knew that it was a Pocketbook 302. Now it does not. All it comes up with on this version is 'Reader'.

I do not know if this is a problem or not - perhaps it just got the label from the USB connection itself. Still, it has changed.

Also - this version seems to have a problem connecting. It took me 3 attempts to connect the reader tonight. Since every attempt takes around 15+ minutes, this gets a bit tedious!

When the connection fails - I get a "communications error" at the end and no connection icons appear. This does not seem to be a real error, because as soon as I connect the reader, Calibre senses the connection ok, and then starts to scan the device ok. It seem to do this ok as well - taking around 15 minutes or so. So I guess it is reading in data just fine for that 15 minutes - the progress bar seems to move along as well. It gets to the end, then the error.

This has happened quite a lot over the last few versions (randomly), but this one seems to be the worst.

I am using the 'Default' input and output configurations - would something else be more suitable for this device?

Last edited by kgn; 07-07-2010 at 06:36 AM.
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Have you tried the procedure described here in the User Guide to see if that gives any useful information.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Have you tried the procedure described here in the User Guide to see if that gives any useful information.
No - but thanks for pointing out that section. I will submit my device and see what happens.

My point was not that my device was not specifically supported - it works just fine using the default settings. Or at least it has been up until this last version. Now I am having connection problems. I noted that a few other users were also, so maybe there is a pattern here. Still, in the end it worked ok (after 3 connection attempts). I am not 'blaming' Calibre for this - USB is notoriously fickle.
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Intermittent problems are almost always hardware related. The new calibre releases do a lot more (maintaining an on device books cache) which probably stresses your hardware more, which is exposing the underlying fragility.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote