Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Where is your Sweet Spot?
$1 or less 1 1.08%
$2 or less 0 0%
$3 or less 1 1.08%
$4 or less 3 3.23%
$5 or less 17 18.28%
$6 or less 8 8.60%
$7 or less 12 12.90%
$8 or less 7 7.53%
$9 or less 4 4.30%
$10 or less 18 19.35%
Anything up to $15 is fair 10 10.75%
I think publishers should have the right to set their own prices 12 12.90%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
What is a Fair Price For E-books

Okay, lots of news on pricing of ebooks lately. We all have our own sweet spot.......that price point that seems fair to us, and that we would not hesitate to buy at.

So........whats yours?

Why?

This would be for new releases.

Tell us what you think the price should be once they come out in paperback.

Last edited by desertgrandma; 02-05-2010 at 11:42 PM.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:43 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Gosh !

pbooks generally 6-7 pounds sterling, so that would place me in the $10 or less bracket. But for some unknown reason I stick to ebook purchases around the $6 or less bracket - and they have to be of a reasonable length. No way am I paying the same for a 90 minute read as for a 350 minute read.....

And honestly I no longer hanker for a new book of any series, I can afford to wait until the price drops......[weel what do you expect from a Yorkie in Scotland!].

(ps - this wasn't the topic I expected - sorry it's early on Saturday morning and my mind must have been on other matters - :chortle
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 03:07 AM   #3
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
DG, let me just say you are the master of suggestive thread titles!

Anyhoo... generally $7 is my limit. If it's something I'm particularly interested in then I might go up to $10. But no more than that.

Last edited by Dylrob; 02-06-2010 at 03:10 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:19 AM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
...and that we would not hesitate to buy at.
I said $4.00, because it's hard to leave the house and not spend that, even at a McDonald's.
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:36 AM   #5
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
I voted for $7 or less - I will wait to buy at that level. Plenty to read cheaper.
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 04:46 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I don't have a sweet spot (in the book buying sense, that is). If I want a book, I'll pay what the publisher asks. With one exception: it should never, ever, be more expensive that the hard cover or trade paperback.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:06 AM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I don't have a sweet spot (in the book buying sense, that is). If I want a book, I'll pay what the publisher asks. With one exception: it should never, ever, be more expensive that the hard cover or trade paperback.

AH! so true ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:58 AM   #8
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Publishers should set their own prices. . .

You either believe in the free market or you don't. I do. That means a publisher should be free to set whatever price he/she wants, and I should be free to either buy or not buy whatever I want.

The 'fair' price is what eventually settles out.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I said $10. I'd prefer not to pay more. I think that's a fair price in most cases. But would likely be willing (as I am currently with the new T.C. Boyle and did in the past for the new Margaret Atwood) to pay a bit more if I know it's going to be good.

I would prefer to pay less and certainly think that is possible is we can get the corporate zombies out of the picture.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
DG, let me just say you are the master of suggestive thread titles!

Anyhoo... generally $7 is my limit. If it's something I'm particularly interested in then I might go up to $10. But no more than that.
Have to get your attention somehow!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Gosh !

pbooks generally 6-7 pounds sterling, so that would place me in the $10 or less bracket. But for some unknown reason I stick to ebook purchases around the $6 or less bracket - and they have to be of a reasonable length. No way am I paying the same for a 90 minute read as for a 350 minute read.....

And honestly I no longer hanker for a new book of any series, I can afford to wait until the price drops......[weel what do you expect from a Yorkie in Scotland!].

(ps - this wasn't the topic I expected - sorry it's early on Saturday morning and my mind must have been on other matters - :chortle
There are only two authors I look forward to in new books...and I find the library usually has them in enventually.

As for the "topic"........Gotcha!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I said $6 or less.

But my average ebook price for ebooks bought (i.e. not counting freebies) is actually under $3.50. And my cost per ebook read this year is currently $3.02

I think the reason for my low cost per ebook is careful use of fictionwise special offers, which are only possible because their cost price for ebooks is about 50% of the RRP.

So, if publishers switch to retailer getting 30% of RR, I'd expect to see RRP come done.

As for whether publishers should have th eright to set the price of an ebook (or book). Well, no, they shouldn't. They can certainly set the RRP to anything they like, and sell to resellers at whathever price they can negotiate, and sell directly at whatever price they can get people to pay.

But I don't think publishers should be able to dictate to retails what price the retailer should change.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I think publishers should set their own prices and I should decide for myself whether the book is wiorth the price and whether to buy it or not. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I don't see this as any different than other market commodities. Auto manufacturers set their own price even, and though every car will get you from point A to point B, we accept that one brand or model costs more or less than another.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:04 PM   #13
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
I misread the thread title ("Sweet Pot") and googled it because I had no idea what it meant. Google came up with a recipe for a sweet potato pie. As for the Sweet Spot, I completely agree with SweetPea. Everything less or equal to the pbook price is fine with me.
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #14
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
You either believe in the free market or you don't. I do. That means a publisher should be free to set whatever price he/she wants, and I should be free to either buy or not buy whatever I want.

The 'fair' price is what eventually settles out.
I was under impression that e-books are licensed, and licensed to single seller per country, who has monopoly stemming out of copyright, and can control his resellers and set his prices. That's because no one else can compete with him in selling the books he sells, as it's illegal. The only freedom is to choose different books, if you don't want to buy from specific copyright owner, and if you care what books you buy, you don't have any choice. How is that a free market?
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #15
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
While publishers have the right to price their product however they feel like, I think the poll is geared to the Reader. What the Reader is willing to pay may or may not match the publisher's price.

$6 or less, and I'll buy. More than that, and I'll look at other, cheaper, alternatives. And they are out there. There's more out there to read than I could read in 10 lifetimes....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote