Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
BarryTX
Connoisseur
BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle 2
Hacking to send files to your device

Question: would it be possible to hack a Kindle such that you can send your own files to your own device through the EVDO connection? It seems logical that it would be technically possible, although perhaps difficult. Note I am not talking about a connection through Amazon in any way, but rather temporarily connecting to your device through a wireless cell connection somehow. You could then use Calibre and a cell modem to create a localized and device-specific delivery of your morning newsfeeds, for example. Maybe not feasible, but I hope those who have the technical understanding could comment on the potential.
BarryTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
wireless cell connection? Would that be your own cell connection/tower? FCC rules is pretty strict on radio interference...
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
I have a similar idea, and I'm sure it's feasible.

At least I THINK it's a smilar idea:

I have files that I create regularly with Calibre in MOBI format. I have to copy them from my laptop to my Kindle using a USB cable.

I don't want to use a USB cable, I want to copy them wirelessly.

But I can grab files from lots of places, such as Project Gutenberg, and they copy to my Kindle with no effort and at no charge.

So, in theory, all I would have to do is set up a similar environment and I would be able to copy my files to my Kindle as easily as I can copy Project Gutenberg files to my Kindle.

The only problem is, I don't know how to do that. I think it's easy, though.

Anyone know exactly how to set up a file server similar enough to allow MOBI files to be copied to a Kindle 2 wirelessly?

Or is there a problem I'm not aware of?
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I'm not Guru enough to be able to do it but since 1) you can have your own web page on the Internet & 2) you can "surf" the Internet with a Kindle, there should be no problem (technically) for doing this.

The problem you'd have is protection of your files but that problem has already been solved. You'd just need to password protect your web site. All the pieces exist now. It's just a matter of putting them together to achieve the desired result. Most Internet providers give you a small space for your own web page. So it should be as easy as having a real Guru publish (for those of us ignorant of the procedure) the step by step instructions to do it.

That said; it would really be easier to use a USB cable unless you wanted to reach back to your files from a trip. Of course there might be those that would say you are violating copyright by "publishing" a book on your site (even if it were password protected). And there would be truth to their belief since your password could be compromised (either intentially by you or hacked by someone else).

Last edited by slayda; 08-16-2009 at 10:38 AM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:42 AM   #5
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
Compromising situation

"Of course there might be those that would say you are violating copyright by "publishing" a book on your site (even if it were password protected). And there would be truth to their belief since your password could be compromised (either intentially by you or hacked by someone else)."

Well, if "could be compromised" is the test, it could happen to a lot of people. Anything I own "could be compromised" by kidnapping me and torturing me and I admit I would soon give the bad guys anything they want.

I think courts would accept a good-faith effort to try to keep crooks at bay, and would not demand that one set up a situation that could not be compromised, which is of course impossible. Nuclear secrets couldn't be kept, for example.

As to whether this is worth the trouble just to avoid using a USB cable, let me remind anyone following this that you only have to figure out how to do this sort of thing a few times, then writing a script is a relatively easy next step. So we are comparing using a usb cable to sleeping late or whatever.

Besides, doing things the easy way is more fun, no matter how much effort it takes!
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert