Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 04-04-2013, 04:32 AM   #1
scissors
Addict
scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs300, kindle keyboard 3g
Large news files...

HI All,

I've just noticed that calibre is producing some very large news files.

My calibre is set to download a few uk papers in mobi format.
I noticed one was 25Mb !!
So I converted it to epub and the size was under 4mb, so i converted to mobi, the size was 7Mb.

This makes me think the download process is downloading lots of stuff not needed, or maybe not referenced.

See attached pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.png
Views:	128
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	103903  
scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Unlikely as, downloaded news files go through a conversion anyway. Your size differences are likely caused by image sizes, you should compare some image sizes in the original and converted files, that will probably account for the difference.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
scissors
Addict
scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Unlikely as, downloaded news files go through a conversion anyway. Your size differences are likely caused by image sizes, you should compare some image sizes in the original and converted files, that will probably account for the difference.
Yup. Seems so.

I didn't realise the compress_news_images and related commands had been added.

Well done Nick Redding and yourself.

Personally I think compress_news_images = True should be the default
After all, it's a newspaper, most picture supplement the text, and tomorrow it's deleted (or fish and chip paper)
Old 04-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There are thousands of recipes and millions of people that use them. Making that large a change is not something to be done lightly. Individual recipe maintainers are welcome to update their recipes to compress images if they think that is a good idea.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
scissors
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There are thousands of recipes and millions of people that use them. Making that large a change is not something to be done lightly. Individual recipe maintainers are welcome to update their recipes to compress images if they think that is a good idea.
i see your point..
Advert