Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-15-2004, 09:04 AM   #1
brahamt
Groupie
brahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Instant Messaging

I have been thinking about [finally] using an instant messaging service. The questions I have are:

1) What service should I be looking at? People I know are on all kinds. I would like to try Yahoo, but I don't know if you can chat with AIM and MSN users.

2) What client? If I do go with multiple services, which is the best client to use all at the same time.

3) Where can I find a good web resource?

Thanks in advance.
brahamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 02:03 PM   #2
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Check out Trillian.

It combines several services: ICQ, AIM, MSN IM, Yahoo Messenger, and IRC. There's a free version and a pro/extended features version ($25).

Actually Alexander got me hooked on it, and we use it periodically to communicate.

Last edited by sUnShInE; 07-15-2004 at 02:08 PM.
sUnShInE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2004, 02:15 PM   #3
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
AFAIK, there is no way currently to chat with a user on a different service than you are on: eg., if you are signed in to Yahoo, you cannot send an IM to someone logged into MSN. But Trillian allows you to manage logins to all the different groups at once, so you can (more or less) converse with people logged in to all the services. So I'll second Sunshine, and say I recommend it (and the free version is plenty for most people). I use it a lot (often to chat with Alex!).

As an aside, I have found that I prefer AIM to the others, one reason being that is the only (I think) that allows you to be logged in from multiple locations simultaneously, so that I can work on multiple computers and have it running on all of them. Though generally they seem pretty much the same.

Speaking of unifying the services, Slashdot had this today: http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/07/15/1157241
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 02:34 PM   #4
brahamt
Groupie
brahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animals

Thanks for both responses. I gonna check out Trillian. Do you have to be a subscriber to AOL to use AIM?

Ignatz, actually, that was the article that triggered me to remember that I wanted to do this.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:31 PM   #5
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahamt
Do you have to be a subscriber to AOL to use AIM?
Nope. You can just sign up for AIM. Though I'll warn you, you have to be pretty damned creative to come up with a name that's not taken. I went through several names that I use that are NEVER taken, and they were ALL taken. Finally I landed on "ohyesiwilleatyou" (intended purely in the monster sense, I assure you).
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2004, 11:07 AM   #6
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'd make sure to also sign up for Yahoo IM, because it is the only one I know which you can use (with the appropriate client like Trillian Pro) for Webcam conferences.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 01:55 PM   #7
brahamt
Groupie

Well I got close to the one I wanted. If anyone cares to help me test the client, I am at bigdaug68 on AIM and Yahoo Messenger. I am signing up for MSN now.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:59 PM   #8
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Thierry, you can add your IM info to your user profile - makes it easier in future to contact you.

Morpheus
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 03:10 PM   #9
brahamt
Groupie

Terrific idea Morpheus. Thanks.