Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
zelea2
zelea2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N800
Downloading books from your local network

What is the easiest way to see your local book collection from your Kobo Glo?

I've just got my KG and I've noticed a browser. I have a few thousands books on my local network but loading the whole collection on the KG's uSD card doesn't seem a good idea. Instead I would like to be able to browse the titles I have and download each book I want to read wirelessly from my network.

Should I just make the books available in apache and point the browser to the web server; should I try to mount an NFS exported partition or Samba exported partition? Given that the KG is an easily hackable device running Linux all the above should be doable. What is your experience?
zelea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Apache is definitely doable. Another option would be to use calibre to organize your collection and use calibre-server to make it available.

As for hacking the Glo to use NFS or samba, you might want to peek into the Developer Corner forum for that.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Use Calibre on your PC. It has a built in server that lets you get the book by pointing your browser to the correct url. It also displays the book cover, title, author and summary in a searchable listing in your browser window for each of the books in the Calibre library
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote