Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Disadvantages of Nook SimpleTouch?

I'm being enticed by the Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight. I'm actually quite happy with my K3 and it's lighted cover (which I rarely use anyway), but I've got a bad case of gadgititis. I don't need an epub reader, I've got a Sony 350 for that (also with a lighted cover), but from everything I've read, the Nooks have superior technology to the Sonys and Kindles. I do like the idea of a touch screen with page turning buttons along the edge, though -I don't tend to like touch screens very much.

I know there's some question whether the Glowlight super-strait and glare screen decreases font clarity and crispness.

Aside from that, are there any disadvantages to the Nook SimpleTouch? Do they sequester memory like they do on the tablets, to decrease available memory for side-loaded content? (almost all my content is side-loaded - Alf is my friend). anything else I should be wary of?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Wait, you don't like touch screens, you rarely use your lighted covers, and you don't want sequestered memory but you think you want a Nook with Glowlight which has all of the above?
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I said, it's purest gadgetitis - gadget lust (ooohhhh, shiny!). And I think that, eventually, I'll have to get over my dislike of touch screens, because it seems like that's the way everything is going.

I don't like the concept of sequestered memory, though - not sure it's a killer objection, but since I side-load almost everything to my kindle (even things I get from the amazon store, because I use Calibre's kindle collection manager), it would be a problem.

Do the Nooks still classify side-loaded items as "documents" rather than books? because that would be a killer for me.

I do like the idea of being able to read library books more easily, which I think would be true on a Nook.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
What could be easier than getting library books on a Kindle? Or a Sony T1?

Instead of letting your gagetitis get the better of you, wait and see what Amazon or Sony comes up with next~!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
My pet peeves:

The buttons are too hard to push. No configuration for tapping to turn page? Not much in the way of formatting options.

These may have changed since I last looked.

Last edited by John F; 04-26-2012 at 12:36 PM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Sony t1 beats the Nook Touch and the Kindle Touch, though I don't have either to compare. So just from what I have read. The Sony is fantastic.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I've heard nothing but good about the T1 (I've got a 350). I'd like to look at one. How does the T1 compare with the NST or the KTouch for weight? That's one of the big attractions for me about the lighted NookST - it's apparently much lighter than other devices are.

I know I don't really *need* a new ereader, but I do love technology.

Looking over at the nook forums, it sounds like consensus is to wait til the second gen of the NookGlow. probably the best idea.

(it's hard at my library to get kindle books - much easier to download the epub versions)
Old 04-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
but from everything I've read, the Nooks have superior technology to the Sonys and Kindles.
I'm curious as to what superior tech you've read the Nooks use.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Don't you know? They are the world's #1 reader, it says so on the sale page!

Never mind they aren't sold world wide!
Old 04-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I've heard nothing but good about the T1 (I've got a 350). I'd like to look at one. How does the T1 compare with the NST or the KTouch for weight? That's one of the big attractions for me about the lighted NookST - it's apparently much lighter than other devices are.
The T1 is extremely light! It is a really, really nice device. And it holds an SD card, which your 350 doesn't. Has sound too (for head phones). I've put tune in radio and pandora on mine, as well as coolreader, fbreader, sugarsync. (Mine is rooted).

And it comes with a stylus. You can write on it! Notes, or marks, you can write on the book you have opened. Fun!
Old 04-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Regarding the sequestered memory on the Nook: this is a non-issue because of the memory slot. For $6 on Amazon you can pickup a 8gb memory card.

The buttons to turn the pages require a bit of pressure, but I have gotten used to it. The ability to tap on the edge of the screen to turn page means that you can vary the way you turn pages as you read.

The touchscreen works great for the keyboard, or if you choose to do a little hacking, it makes it work very well for Gmail, or other tablet type uses.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #12
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I couldn't say exactly, just that it seems like everything I've read says the Nooks are superior to the Kindles - better processor? not sure.

The problem with the T1 stylus is that there's no integrated holder for it (like there is on the 350) so it's one more thing for me to lose.

The more I'm reading about the B&N Nook line, though, the less I like it... i don't need to have books I'm not interested in advertised to me, and it looks from pictures like the Nook does that a lot.

Does the T1 have a lighted cover available for it? I'll have to go to some store that sells the T1 and look at them. I like the idea of an SD card slot, which really is most of the attraction of the Nook for me. I don't use the music attribute of my k3, but it's nice to have it available.. does the T1 have a better player interface than the Kindle does?
Old 04-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Becca just take a look at the deals thread.....Nook Simple Touch on ebay for $59 right now! That's worth whatever disadvantages might be noted! No light on that one but who cares! Root it and have fun.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #14
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I think rooting it is half the charm of the Nook for me. I haven't needed to see whether one can root my Kindle, or what it would buy me, but I have thought about getting the Nook Color and rooting that one, just for fun and for the experience.

I've tried using the browser on my K3, and it's an exercise in frustration. Is a browser on the rooted Nook ST any better? or is it a function of e-ink?
Old 04-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I don't think there is a lighted cover for the T1 but I could be wrong.

I haven't tried using a music player on the T1, I have used it for internet radio via the Tune In Radio app.

I have seen some videos of the Nook ST (rooted) using the internet and it is much better than the K3. Even my Sony is better than the web on the K3.

I haven't rooted any of my Kindles, either. I would try one of them if I could find something that would give me a more attractive home screen. The stock one is so boring, comparied to Sony and Nook.