Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #16
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedbakbwr View Post
My desktop software keeps looping to update every time i run the desktop software?
I've sent you instructions to help us track the issue for you.

Thanks!
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #17
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
That's interesting. Mine started up showing the shortlist by default. I only saw the new releases/featured option when I noticed the menu arrows and clicked on it. I do like that they've given you that option.
That's good to know! The shortlist by default is good.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #18
imsoawesome
Enthusiast
imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
I'm noticing a bug when selecting items on menus in that selected items are non responsive until a second click is made.

For instance I clicked on a read book by mistake and it reopened it and thus marked itself partially read. When I click to select ' mark as finished' the line will go black as if it has been selected but it hangs there unmoving not doing anything. It will not complete the action until I click and select something else.

The first few times I did this resulted in me thinking I had not clicked properly and reclicking the same link which wound up both activating my original selection and then selecting tue book under the menu with my second click, causing me to have to remark it as finished again. Cyclically hilarious but frustrating to deal with several times in a row.

I also agree please let us disable the bottom bar! I regret this update and it is the first update from kobo that didn't improve my experience.
imsoawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:21 PM   #19
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
The bottom bar doesn't really bother me but it would be nice if you could have a choice to remove it. Otherwise the other improvements are great. The text does look crisper and the page turns are better for me which is more important.
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #20
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Yeah, I don't mind the sidebar on the desktop application (although the recommended list displays some books I already have in my library - can't they check that?), but I would like to remove it on my reader.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #21
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Yeah, I don't mind the sidebar on the desktop application (although the recommended list displays some books I already have in my library - can't they check that?), but I would like to remove it on my reader.

ltr
Whereas I really dislike that sidebar on the desktop.

I haven't updated the reader yet....
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #22
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Whereas I really dislike that sidebar on the desktop.
There should definitely be a way to disable it both on the reader and the desktop.

Putting advertising that can't be removed is bad form.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #23
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
There should definitely be a way to disable it both on the reader and the desktop.

Putting advertising that can't be removed is bad form.

ltr
I tend to agree. Even with the short list option, I would still like the option of removing it all together.

The home menu is taking a bit of getting used to, but I think I will end up liking it.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #24
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
ltr--at this point, the way to influence what appears in our recommendations seems to be dependent on what we do on the kobobooks.com home page with the recommendations listings there. EDIT When you make books disappear from the recommendations scrubber on kobobooks.com, they also disappear from your carousel as long as you have another choice (like shortlist) chosen when you do a sync. I understand that at some point in the future we will be able to make similar choices from the Touch--with the opportunity to provide feedback on what appears there and with the recommendations engine learning from that.

I think the "carousel" at the bottom is a work in progress and that the choices available to us will change over time. I don't mind having recommendations as long as they seem tailored to my taste in books--and that seems like it is coming along--compared to what we were seeing in the betas. I would not be surprised to see other possibilities in carousel choices as this feature is developed. Those of us who have hung in there with Kobo know that the company actually listens to customer feedback on things like this and makes incremental changes that reflect that feedback.

I much prefer that process to being presented with a feature that is set in stone and will not be changed until a new device is released a year later. It's a messier process, for sure, and there are often missteps along the way, but I think we end up with a better device as a result of it all.

Last edited by taming; 12-23-2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: See EDIT
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #25
ldrover
Connoisseur
ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad Mini
Weird

Not sure what Kobo has done, but if you look at the contents of your device with Calibre, there are several books identified as missing files since the upgrade. They all appear to be ones Kobo would like us to buy. Actually, it is quite a mess!
ldrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #26
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It may be that Tim Legge needs to update the Calibre driver to accommodate the covers only "books" that are now in the carousel. That kind of thing has happened in the past--where the Calibre version is a step or two behind as a result of the reader changes.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #27
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
No noticeable speed increase on page turns here, or improved text sharpness, so kind of an inconsequential update for me.

I really wish the home page carousel would remember that I set it to Shortlist whenever I go back Home.
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #28
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrover View Post
Not sure what Kobo has done, but if you look at the contents of your device with Calibre, there are several books identified as missing files since the upgrade. They all appear to be ones Kobo would like us to buy. Actually, it is quite a mess!
I will take a look soon and a fix will be in next weeks calibre. Between Christmas and everything else I really have not gotten around to testing calibre with this release.

Calibre support is not kobo's issue.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #29
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
So, in short, the new release offers ads you can't disable (at least in a permanent way if wi-fi is on) and no way to order your books yet. No a good release, at least from my point of view (aside of the number of published releases, that's not the point).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #30
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK View Post
Kobo Touch Firmware 1.9.16 and desktop 2.1.6 will be released shortly.

Kobo Touch:

• The new 'Recommended for you' list automatically finds books tailored to your tastes
Yay for keeping track of my private information and placing advertising on my full-price Kobo Touch. :/ *spit*

I won't be updating (fortunately, 1.9.14 is nice and stable for me) and Kobo certainly won't be getting any more of my money because of this.

Last edited by JD Gumby; 12-23-2011 at 05:23 PM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote