Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Few epubs have toc

That's a subjective conclusion. I keep noticing a message saying something like "This book does not have a table of contents."

Now since some at least of the books for which this comes up have a page listing all the chapters, I assume that a toc in the sense of the error message is something other than a list of chapters, maybe a way to jump quickly to a given chapter, like the clickable page numbers in some pdfs.

So what's the received wisdom? Should one put in a toc in an epub?

Now I'll post this and probably find that six other people have asked the same question, although I couldn't find it with the search function. <sigh>
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The ePub standard includes a toc.ncx file where the TOC is specified. So far as I know, all ePub readers support toc.ncx and it really is the best way to do an ePub TOC. The exception is if the headings include any non-Latin characters, because badly implemented ePub Readers (and in particular Adobe Digital Editions, as used on most E Ink devices) use a system font for the TOC with poor glyph coverage.

An in-line TOC, i.e. a set of hyperlinks in the body of the text, is better than nothing, but inferior to a real TOC. I agree that in-line TOCs are quite common as are ePubs with no usable TOC of any kind.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert