Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 05-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Angry Drowned Kindle Fire suggestions?

Hey guys,
I was wondering if anybody here has any suggestions before I turn my Fire into a very small cutting board.

I didn't just drop it in the toilet, or spill coffee or Coke on it... I uh... lost it, for about two days. (yeah, I'm not the most organized person in the world) Since I have other readers, I figured it would eventually turn up, and it did. It turned up top down between my waterbed mattress and the liner. Seems there must also be a leak someplace, cause it'd been marinating in about 2" of water. (about 5cm for you metric folks)

I didn't try to turn it on, (but I guess when I took it out of the case it would have hit the auto-on) but dried off the surface and put it in a container full of rice for a week. I took it out today, and... nothing. When I hooked it up to the charger, (also USB to my computer) the "kindle fire" logo came on for a couple seconds, but then went to black. It's been hooked up to the charger for about three hours now, but where the charger used to get toasty warm, it's only room temperature. I figure it's not doing anything.

In truth, I wrote this thing off a week ago, but I was wondering if I could get some feedback. (other than taking better care of my PW)

Thanks for reading,
Andy
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Look at it this way. . .

You get the fun of shopping for a new tablet.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
eumie
Enthusiast
eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 4, Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kindle Oasis 2
Contact Amazon customer service about it. It can't hurt, and who knows, they might replace it or give you a discount on a new one.

If you do buy a new one, I'd try to get a warranty on it. The one Amazon sells covers water damage.
eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
If you've written it off already...perhaps opening it up and removing the battery and more direct drying of the inside and the cable connections (hair dryer). It doesn't look that hard to open up...see this video. Good luck!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the suggestion and the link, Sharks. Difference is that that link was for a regular Fire, and I have an HD. The problem is that it just doesn't look like much fun. The ironic thing is that before I bought a case, I dropped it, and the cover came loose about 1/4 of the way around. All I need to do is drop it at just the right angle.

That DOES explain why it's so heavy, though. Looks like most of the inside is battery.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Dump it and buy a new one. That's life.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
SampleAndy
Addict

Un-freakin' believable!!!

I figured I had nothing to lose, so I talked to Customer Support. If they'd give me some kind of discount on a replacement, I might go for it... or maybe not. I really wasn't expecting this!

Spoiler:

Initial Question: I drowned my Fire HD. I lost it for 2+ days, and found it between the frame and mattress of my water bed. It had been soaking in about 2" of water. Surprisingly, it doesn't work now.

Karthik : Hello, Andrew.
Karthik : My name is Karthik , I'll be happy to help you today.
Karthik : I'm sorry to hear about the problem you have with your Kindle device.

Karthik : Before I can view your account I'll need to do a quick security check. Please confirm the email address, complete name, and billing address on your account.
SampleAndy : I'm guessing the chemicals in the algicide shorted out something. I know it's not guaranteed against that, but...
SampleAndy : email@domain.com
SampleAndy : Firstname MI. Lastname
SampleAndy : P.O. Box 99999, City, State, ZIP
Karthik : Thanks for your information, Andrew.
Karthik : Are you referring to "Andrew's 6th Kindle ?"
SampleAndy : yup That's the one.
Karthik : Thanks for your information.

Karthik : Please try resetting your Kindle device and let me know, if you still face the same problem.
SampleAndy : Did that. I dried it off, and did NOT try to turn it on until after I tried drying it in rice for one week.
SampleAndy : Turning it on doesn't work, and holding the power button for 30 seconds doesn't work.
SampleAndy : When I plug in the charger, the Kindle Fire logo comes on for 3-4 seconds, but then it goes black and nothing else happens.
SampleAndy : The charger (from one of the 3g Kindles) usually gets kind of warm, but it stays at room temperature.
Karthik : I'm really sorry the troubleshooting doesn't work out.
Karthik : At this point, I can help you with replacing your Kindle device.
Karthik : Please confirm the shipping address?
SampleAndy : Street, City, State, ZIP
SampleAndy : We need to talk about price first, no?
Karthik : It is a free replacement, since your Kindle device is under warranty.
SampleAndy : ??? They are guaranteed against... carelessness?
SampleAndy : I freely admit that it was NOT design failure, but as a result of my actions.
Karthik : Since you drowned your Kindle device, it will not cover under warranty, As an one time exception I can help you with replacing your Kindle device.
SampleAndy : tell me more. Please.
Karthik : And provide me the last four digit of your valid credit card associated with this shipping address?
SampleAndy : 9999
Karthik : Thanks for your information, Andrew.
Karthik : Please be on online while I create a replacement for you.
Karthik : The replacement was successfully created.
Karthik : Estimated Delivery Date: May 16
Karthik : Once our chat section closed, I'll send you an email regarding the return and replacement details.
SampleAndy : I'm still a little confused. This is at no charge to me?
Karthik : Yes, it is a free replacement.
Karthik : You'll not be charged.
SampleAndy : That's fantastic. Can you tell me anything about the additional warranty service?
Karthik : Every new Kindle device comes with one year warranty.
SampleAndy : There's something called a 2-year Square Trade Warranty
Karthik : Yes, you can purchase an extent warranty to your Kindle device.
Karthik : You can purchase the optional warranty protection plan within 30 days of a new Kindle purchase.
Karthik : The warranty protection plan adds an additional year and more comprehensive protection, including coverage for accidental drops and damage.
Karthik : The warranty protection plan is sold and administered by SquareTrade, a third-party warranty service provider.
SampleAndy : ok... 30 days from today?
Karthik : Yes.
SampleAndy : but that isn't directly to Amazon... I'd like to thank the company for their policy. Guess I'll just have to keep buying stuff.
Karthik : Customer feedback like yours is always important to us. I'll be sure to pass your message along to the appropriate department as we continue to improve the Kindle experience for our customers.
Karthik : You can contact SquareTrade at 866-374-9939; they'll be happy to help.
SampleAndy : I belong to a forum that discusses different readers. Would it be a good idea to post this information there as a show of Amazon's great support?
SampleAndy : Or would it encourage carelessness and negligence on the part of users?
Karthik : Yes, you can post.
SampleAndy : Should I change your name or leave it there?
Karthik : As your wish, Andrew.
SampleAndy : ok. I guess I'll leave it then.
Karthik : You're welcome, Andrew.

Karthik : Kindle comes with a One-Year Limited Warranty against defects in materials and workmanship under ordinary use.
Karthik : As an one time exception, to help you with this, I've created replacement for you.
Karthik : Is there anything else I can do for you today?

SampleAndy : I can't think of anything. You've already done far more than I expected!!! Thank you!
Karthik : It was my pleasure working with you.

Karthik : I'm glad I was able to help.

Karthik : Thank you for contacting Kindle support. Have a great day!

So... I sit here looking at a brand new Kindle Fire HD, shaking my head in amazement. I was an Amazon addict before, but I think they just won a customer for life!!! (warning, YMMV)

Old 05-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Amazon loves us -- every single one of us.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think it's just good business sense myself. Good advertizements about how they have great customer service in terms of replacing a broken kindle is more valuable than the ereader itself.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Absolutely. I wonder why no one else is doing it.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
You were lucky. I think they made the exception based on the fact that your furniture destroyed it vs you dropping it in a pool/etc. But good to know it worked out in the end.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:19 PM   #12
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Nicely done, I will admit, but I hate the scripts that customer service people have to follow.

"I drowned my Kindle and it's dead."

"Please try resetting your Kindle device and let me know, if you still face the same problem."

"Uh, really, it's dead."

"I'm really sorry the troubleshooting doesn't work out."

FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:56 AM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Nicely done, I will admit, but I hate the scripts that customer service people have to follow.

"I drowned my Kindle and it's dead."

"Please try resetting your Kindle device and let me know, if you still face the same problem."

"Uh, really, it's dead."

"I'm really sorry the troubleshooting doesn't work out."

I imagine part of that is company policy. They have to try the easy fixes before going onto replacement. When I dropped my 1st K3 and the screen was damaged I had to go through a similar procedure. Of course in my case the warranty had already run out so I had to purchase a replacement (though at a reduced price of I think 69.00).
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #14
SampleAndy
Addict

Good Morning, M1d@$ Muffler and Brake Center, Andy speaking. How may I help you?
A muffler for your 1947 Hupmobile costs $44.95 and is guaranteed for the lifetime of your car. We have the parts in stock and the job will take about half an hour. Would you like to make an appointment to have that done this morning?

(cough, cough, cough) (sigh)

Company policy was cut it down, then pull the parts. freakin' morons.

ETA... (ETA?) it was always first come, first serve, too...
Old 05-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #15
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
You were lucky. I think they made the exception based on the fact that your furniture destroyed it vs you dropping it in a pool/etc.
I'd guess they made the exception because of that SIXTH KINDLE thing!! And likely that he didn't have a previous history of abusing the return policy.

Amazon has done stuff like this for me as well. I'm a happy customer.

A sad side effect of Amazon doing stuff like this is that, when they DON'T do it, some people's over-blown sense of entitlement kicks in and they post complaints.
"I called Amazon because my 3-year-old Kindle that I bought on eBay got a samurai sword through the screen, and all those greedy monopolists did was offer me a replacement for $30. They actually expected ME to give them MORE money??!!"

Last edited by ApK; 05-21-2013 at 03:55 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
troubleshooting