Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #61
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Brooklyn added over 12,000 ebooks to their collection this year. Very impressive. Generous check-out policies. And it appears the service is underutilized by the local residents. For some it may present a better value to join.
That was my thinking in choosing Brooklyn over FLP. I received my physical library card on Saturday! Four days after I started the application process. They are very efficient and the extra $15 was well spent.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #62
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Just to say that I did manage to get a card and the staff was great. So far so good!
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #63
mizzlia
mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook tablet 8gb, samsung galaxy tab 10.1 wifi 32gb
I didnt even know that brooklyn public library let non residents get access i barely use my library card and im a resident but since someone said they added new ebooks im going to check that out i usually borrow paper books instead of going on the site for ebooks thata good to know
mizzlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #64
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This concept of library e-lending is interesting but as I understand it you have a time limit during which to read any lent book and I'm not good with that kind of pressure, of having to hurry and finish a book before a certain date.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #65
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Ater running my Amazon wishlist through all library catalogs that allow out-of-staters, I signed up for a Brooklyn card and a Fairfax one. The cards paid for themselves before the first week was over, because they had a series of audiobooks that my RI library only had a few of.

What a change, going from one (limited) library to three!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #66
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
This concept of library e-lending is interesting but as I understand it you have a time limit during which to read any lent book and I'm not good with that kind of pressure, of having to hurry and finish a book before a certain date.
Physical lending works the same way. After the lending period is over, you can renew it unless there are holds against it, which is also the case with physical library lending.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:20 AM   #67
blueinfj
Enthusiast
blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.

Device: iPhone, iPad, Kindle Oasis
I'm in Germany; I applied for (and received) an out-of-state BPL library card at the end of May (for a fee of $50), which is valid for one year. I also have a membership at FLP and between the two I think Brooklyn is the "better" one. More books, they allow 15 books to be borrowed at the same time - and the customer service is great!
blueinfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #68
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So great to know! I'm hoping the poster from Australia was also able to get one.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #69
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Hi DianNC, Yes I did thanks, I got my membership ecard last week and paid by Visa the same day, only they say it's a 3 day wait and I still can't log in. So I've emailed them again and hoping it work for me soon .
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #70
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katel View Post
So I've emailed them again and hoping it work for me soon .
I'm sure it will before long, but Brooklyn is on the ocean, their web site is currently down, and much of their physical system is still closed from the hurricane.

P.S. I see that while the main library web site (http://www.brooklynpubliclibrary.org/) is down, one can get to eBooks by going directly to http://brooklyn.lib.overdrive.com.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 11-01-2012 at 09:52 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:41 PM   #71
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks SteveEisenberg, I realized as soon as I'd posted that, that the hurricane
would be the reason and felt bad, as I do for all those affected by it.

Anyway I can log in now , it's all working, which is great.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #72
DianNC
Banned

I was hoping you'd come back with good news, Katel, and you did! Regardless of the 'glitches' you encountered with registration, I do think you'll find it's worth the trouble.

Just today I found a title at BPL (recommended here) that I was unable to get at my local library. That has happened several times and I couldn't be a more satisfied customer.

Happy reading!
Old 11-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #73
Katel
Evangelist

And happy reading to you DianNC, I'm like a kid in a lollyshop now there's so much to choose from.