Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-10-2022, 11:53 PM   #76
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Went to my library's Overdrive to borrow a title I was previously interested in but waited until I finished current read.

"Not available. License expired"
Been there, done that. On the bright side, 2 of the 3 times, the library repurchased the book since I was not the only person asking about it.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:53 PM   #77
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
No, not defaults, just my global settings which are adjustable.
Font, font size, line spacing, justification, margins.
What else do you need?
A hot coffee and a Cat.

Depends on the book. I prefer that things make visual sense.
Signs get centered (border optional)
Letters get a different font and are block quoted.

OK, Some things are just FUN! Boring is... well...BORING!
Old computer screen text is Monospaced.
Why not decorate Chapter titles a bit (in keeping with the subject)?
OTOH I was taught that 6 was the MAXIMUM of font families you should use in a document.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2022, 03:01 PM   #78
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
When the sun is over the yardarm I don't do coffee any more.

Borders? You mean like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radius.png
Views:	102
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	194920  
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 03:24 PM   #79
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
When the sun is over the yardarm I don't do coffee any more.

Borders? You mean like this?
I served in the Steam powered Navy, Coffee was a 24/7 beverage

The first because not all devices do the others.

I also play with Padding and thickness when I do use them.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 08:20 PM   #80
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Those weird book descriptions that go "[some book I've never heard of] meets [another book I've never heard of] in this [a usually inaccurate description of the book itself]."

Also, waitlists on Overdrive. I'm begging you: if you finish your book early, please return them early!
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2022, 08:39 AM   #81
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Those weird book descriptions that go "[some book I've never heard of] meets [another book I've never heard of] in this [a usually inaccurate description of the book itself]."

Also, waitlists on Overdrive. I'm begging you: if you finish your book early, please return them early!
If I wanted to read some book and another book, I'd have done so instead of reading this book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:45 AM   #82
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
And the variant that goes “for fans of “[hugely popular book] and [different hugely popular book that has nothing in common with the first other than popularity]”. Except that it’s useful at that, as my response is to hit the back button.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:52 AM   #83
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
And the variant that goes “for fans of “[hugely popular book] and [different hugely popular book that has nothing in common with the first other than popularity]”. Except that it’s useful at that, as my response is to hit the back button.
Both variants make me smile sadly as I envision desperate in-house marketers trying to find new ways to say "PLEASE BUY THIS DREK"
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:56 AM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If I am looking at eBooks and come across an unknown author, if the cover it not good, I'll just pass right on by. No reading the description or have anything else to do with it. So make sure you have a good cover that doesn't look like it was created one night on a drunken binge.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-12-2022 at 09:00 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:22 AM   #85
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
And the variant that goes “for fans of “[hugely popular book] and [different hugely popular book that has nothing in common with the first other than popularity]”.
I know it is annoying, but it is natural to compare something you are hoping to be popular to some other already popular thing. It's not just books. I've seen the same thing happen with music, movies, TV shows, etc.

Quote:
Except that it’s useful at that, as my response is to hit the back button.
Doing that, you will miss some good stuff. Here are three good books with unfortunate quotes:

I Travel by Night and Last Train from Perdition by Robert McCammon
“Perfect for Deadwood fans and those who enjoy the American Vampire graphic-novel series by Scott Snyder. Clear a couple of hours, you’ll want to devour this in one sitting.” —Booklist

The Lost Causes of Bleak Creek by Rhett McLaughlin, Link Neal
Stranger Things meets the South. Chilling, hilarious, and suspenseful—I loved it!”—Felicia Day

Blacktop Wasteland by S. A. Cosby
"Like Ocean’s Eleven meets Drive, with a Southern noir twist, S. A. Cosby’s Blacktop Wasteland is a searing, operatic story of a man pushed to his limits by poverty, race, and his own former life of crime."

This book was also Los Angeles Times Book Prize Winner, New York Times Notable Book, NPR’s Best Books of the Year, BookPage’s #1 Mystery and Suspense of the Year, Sun Sentinel’s #1 Best Mystery of the Year

So you might miss some great stuff because of stupid comparisons.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:27 AM   #86
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If I am looking at eBooks and come across an unknown author, if the cover it not good, I'll just pass right on by. No reading the description or have anything else to do with it. So make sure you have a good cover that doesn't look like it was created one night on a drunken binge.
Yeah man. Covers are tough. I know that for an indie author it is the most expensive part of publishing your book. But an ugly or cheap cover can be a real turn off.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:30 AM   #87
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah man. Covers are tough. I know that for an indie author it is the most expensive part of publishing your book. But an ugly or cheap cover can be a real turn off.
Same. Some covers just scream at the top of their voice "I'm self-published!" OTOH there are many self-pubs with great, professional-looking covers.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:36 AM   #88
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
While I almost never even consciously see ebook covers any more. Precisely because I KNOW they're indicative of nothing. The old maxim exists for a reason. *shrug*
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:43 AM   #89
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
So you might miss some great stuff because of stupid comparisons.
Them’s the breaks. I already will never be able to read everything I’d like to read. If some of my filters are imperfect, it’s doesn’t mean they’re useless or counterproductive.

When I read blurbs, I’m looking to be sold. If I’m a likely prospect and instead I’m turned off, it’s not my problem, it’s the fault of the marketer. I’ll go with the books where the marketer respects my intellligence instead of thinking me an easy mark. “For fans of Stephen King, Barbara Cartland and Thomas Mann!” It’s really no different than a cheesy cover; it’s all part of the packaging.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:46 AM   #90
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
While I almost never even consciously see ebook covers any more. Precisely because I KNOW they're indicative of nothing. The old maxim exists for a reason. *shrug*
That's because AFAIK you find your books going mostly by other people's reviews and opinions, from what I remember. I do my own filtering and covers are part of that. Not saying my way is better, I've just found it more useful for me than what others say.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote