Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 02-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #91
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle app on iPad and iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
EDITED TO ADD: (kind of important) - The included USB cable did not work properly - my computer would not recognize the device (it installed an "unknown device" driver then said the device was not working properly) and the device did not recognize it was plugged in. I found a cable with the same size in my bag of miscellaneous cables, and at first it didn't work - I had to go into device manager, uninstall the flagged USB storage device driver and then reconnect. After that, it installed the correct driver and is working as it should.
Which version of Windows are you running?

I run Windows 7. It has problems detecting the Literati. I've tried a couple of different cables.

At work I plugged it into my computer which runs Windows XP SP3. It too reports an error. I have it turned off. I turn it on after it's connected. Eventually it appears as a removable drive.

I have the older hardware but it's running the latest firmware (1.9).
mjt57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #92
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt57 View Post
Which version of Windows are you running?

I run Windows 7. It has problems detecting the Literati. I've tried a couple of different cables.

At work I plugged it into my computer which runs Windows XP SP3. It too reports an error. I have it turned off. I turn it on after it's connected. Eventually it appears as a removable drive.

I have the older hardware but it's running the latest firmware (1.9).
I'm using Vista 32.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #93
jruschme
jruschme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle WiFi
Has anybody else had problems with the Literati being overlay agressive about mounting itself?

On my MacBook, if I eject the Literati, it immediately reconnects and remounts. I end up having to pull out the USB cable while mounted and getting the warning about properly ejecting a drive.

Any suggestions?
jruschme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #94
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave@Kobo View Post
Hello Meemo,

When you're in your Library, check if your viewing your Library by "New". If so, using the d-pad select either "By Title" or "By Author" (from the Library). The 25 preloaded books should appear. Viewing your Library by "New" will only display those books that have been purchased or newly added to the device; therefore, the preloaded books will not appear. I hope this helps.

-Dave
Eureka - that did it - thanks for the help! The hazards of having 3 readers, every one is different!
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #95
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Uh oh! Break out the foil hats! Now I know why the giveaway prices ... they are watching us
Actually I was wondering if it might actually be a global positioning chip that could be enabled by hacking. I have no idea why that would be in an ereader, but it would be pretty neat if it was.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #96
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
EDITED TO ADD: (kind of important) - The included USB cable did not work properly - my computer would not recognize the device (it installed an "unknown device" driver then said the device was not working properly) and the device did not recognize it was plugged in. I found a cable with the same size in my bag of miscellaneous cables, and at first it didn't work - I had to go into device manager, uninstall the flagged USB storage device driver and then reconnect. After that, it installed the correct driver and is working as it should.
Glad I have a box of random cables.

This is yet another fluke that would cause a great number of people to return the Literati and give it bad reviews. I'm convinced that our persistance will reap us a great reader at an amazing price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruschme View Post
Has anybody else had problems with the Literati being overlay agressive about mounting itself?

On my MacBook, if I eject the Literati, it immediately reconnects and remounts. I end up having to pull out the USB cable while mounted and getting the warning about properly ejecting a drive.
It sounds like your MacBook is in heat and your Literati is determined to reproduce. There are so few out there, you know. Survival of the species is a natural instinct.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #97
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thumbs up

Got my Literati today. I absolutely love it. I am going to use it for all my books that have photo inserts. I read lots of true crime and most of those do.

Despite the problems others have had, and I expected to have, my Literati has worked perfectly out of the box.

I charged it, updated the firmware twice. The only glitch, if you can even call it that, is that I had to enter my network password again after the first update. I then used the included USB cable (which I didn't expect to work since it hasn't for others)to side-load books from Calibre.

Both my computer and Calibre recognized my Literati right away. All of my Calibre files are saved as .mobi files so when I selected "send to device," Calibre asked if I wanted them converted to the appropriate format. I intentionlly didn't convert them first just to see what would happen. Turns out Calibre is pretty smart.

I then unhooked the Literati from my laptop and all my books were there. I haven't even inserted the SD card yet. I expected problems with recognizing internal memory but that never happened.

The brightness is adjustable so I turned it down to a comfortable level. Night mode looks cool - black background with white text - but it was burning my retinas so I'll never use it.

So far I am 100% satisfied.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Calibre thinks my Literati is a Boox although it doesn't seem to matter.

Last edited by wvcherrybomb; 02-10-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:45 PM   #98
tiredeyes
tiredeyes began at the beginning.

Device: laptop
Hi and thanks for this useful thread. I got a 19027 model this week, and although I've gotten everything to work, I am very disappointed with the D-pad. The loud clicking is really annoying, esp. at night, but worst of all it sticks when up or down is pressed, so instead of reading, I'm fighting with this little piece of plastic.
Is this typical? I am considering returning it because of this issue.
tiredeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:56 PM   #99
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

All the literatis I have seen have had loud D-pads and most of them do stick, but I have found that as the D-pad is not generally used when reading a book (unless you prefer to use it instead of the page turns "buttons"), it isn't that big of a problem. But, it may bug you more than it does me. I would advise you to wait longer and try to get used to it (esp if you got the reader during the recent $40 sale).
Old 02-11-2011, 01:18 AM   #100
Dave@Kobo
Dave@Kobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruschme View Post

Any suggestions?
Hello jruschme,

This is a known issue that, after much effort, we could not produce a fix. It has to do with how OSX performs their un-mounting of the devices. If you open up your terminal and run the command 'sudo diskutil umount /Volume/yourliterati' you will notice it un-mounts and doesn't re-mount. Obviously, this is cumbersome and I am not suggesting this is the only way to safely un-mount your literati. Un-plugging while it's still appears mounted is safe, despite what the warning dialog says.

-Dave
Dave@Kobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #101
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma

After spending the first night with my new Literati, I now have run into a couple of things I need to fix and one thing that I don't like but will have to live with.

The issue that I can't do anything about is more about the case and less about the reader. The case is so close around the D-pad that it's a bit awkward to use. I would usually use my right thumb for it but I can't do that easily. I have to use an index finger to press the right arrow where it is right up against the case. Since the D-pad is not used during reading, it's not a real issue and would not deter me from buying another Literati.

Another thing that is not a defect but I will need to adapt to my needs is the page turn button at night. It's invisible in the dark and I need to put something there that I can feel with my thumb. Perhaps, over time, I would memorize the position making this a non-issue.

The only problem I have run into with the functional use of my Literati is that I can't seem to get it to remember second bookmarks within the same book. It is very possible that this is user error since I haven't read any directions or even looked into it that much.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #102
MR. Pockets
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
The only problem I have run into with the functional use of my Literati is that I can't seem to get it to remember second bookmarks within the same book. It is very possible that this is user error since I haven't read any directions or even looked into it that much.
How are you placing the bookmarks? Pressing "b" leaves a bookmark that can be view by opening the menu and selecting "bookmarks". I haven't had any issues placing multiple bookmarks that way.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #103
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Pockets View Post
How are you placing the bookmarks? Pressing "b" leaves a bookmark that can be view by opening the menu and selecting "bookmarks". I haven't had any issues placing multiple bookmarks that way.
I am pressing the menu button and choosing 'add bookmark' because I didn't know about the 'b' button.

EDIT: I tried just using the 'b' button and it works!! Thanks so much!

Last edited by wvcherrybomb; 02-11-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:25 AM   #104
nermada
nermada began at the beginning.

Device: literati
Angry Still unrecognized

Hello everyone,
My computer is running windows 7 and won't recognize my literati. Has anybody found a way around this?
Thanks!
nermada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:56 AM   #105
Dave@Kobo
Dave@Kobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by nermada View Post
Hello everyone,
My computer is running windows 7 and won't recognize my literati. Has anybody found a way around this?
Thanks!
Hello nermada,

Make sure you're running the latest firmware 2.0 and after the update, reboot, and try again. Hope this helps.

-Dave
Dave@Kobo is offline   Reply With Quote