Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2016, 03:35 AM   #451
T.W.G
Connoisseur
T.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of light

Device: prs-505
There's no solution for the search problem as it depends on the PDF file itself. The more complex and large the file is the longer it takes the unit to search the documents. It has no highend cpu like flagship tablets and smartphones.
T.W.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #452
sdivekar
sdivekar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
10 page limit on note taking?

Two more questions to the community, really appreciate any insight:
1. Can someone please verify if the 10 page limit to note taking still exists? There seems to be a work around https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHs1GzxU2Kk

2. What is the max size of micro sd card for the sony digital paper? Will 64gb work? Any particular brand required?

Thanks!!
sdivekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:23 AM   #453
mrpotts
Connoisseur
mrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Digital Paper, Amazon Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdivekar View Post
Two more questions to the community, really appreciate any insight:
1. Can someone please verify if the 10 page limit to note taking still exists? There seems to be a work around https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHs1GzxU2Kk

2. What is the max size of micro sd card for the sony digital paper? Will 64gb work? Any particular brand required?

Thanks!!
I seem to remember 32GB was the max. That's what I have in mine. 64GB may work but I haven't tried.

Phil
mrpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:32 AM   #454
mrpotts
Connoisseur
mrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-books

Sony DPT Survey

I just took the survey. It is quick and easy. Please contribute to make this product better <:
Old 01-26-2016, 12:49 AM   #455
eli2k
eli2k began at the beginning.

Device: DPT-S1, Nexus 7, iPad Mini 2, iPad 1G
What kind of nibs is everyone purchasing here? It looks like Wacom Standard nibs (found on ebay) look very similar to what the Sony stylus uses, and they even have the same removal tool. Thanks!
eli2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:17 AM   #456
Shinra tensei
Connoisseur
Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Sony DPT-s1, Pocketbook 903, Onyx M90, iPad 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpotts View Post
Sony DPT Survey

I just took the survey. It is quick and easy. Please contribute to make this product better <:
Would this mean that Sony is gonna to sell soon an updated version of this product, a DTPS2 ereader?

I almost "need" this product. Anandtech gave a good review too. Probably I'll buy it, maybe a used one in good condition via ebay.
Shinra tensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:45 PM   #457
danjonwig
danjonwig began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Digital Paper v1
Sync problems

Hello,

I was thrilled to learn of this device. I hoped it would replace printing. I bout three of them, and set-up my own WebDAV server to enable syncing. There seems to be a problem, however:

While I can see the files I put on the server on all three devices, the changes I make to the documents on any one device don't seem to sync to the others (nor to the server; can't see them on my laptop etc). There seems to be a function to "send" a file, where I can force it to upload, but it seems that when I do that it revs the file name, rather than replacing the original (I.e. Actually syncing). Plus, the UI is painfully slow, and requires multiple steps, when all it should really require is a hit of the 'sync' button (or, even better, be done in the background).

Does anyone here have experience with the sync? Is the function actually not fully implemented, so that "sync" is download only? Or am I doing something wrong? Man, I'd love for this thing to work! I grabbed three as a first attempt, but I can easily imagine filling my briefcase with another 3 or 4 so that I can have digital versions of all my docs without having to slowly load files. But only if it syncs properly!
danjonwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:45 PM   #458
danjonwig
danjonwig began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Digital Paper v1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpotts View Post
I seem to remember 32GB was the max. That's what I have in mine. 64GB may work but I haven't tried.

Phil
I tried; it doesn't.
danjonwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:53 PM   #459
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by danjonwig View Post
Hello,

I was thrilled to learn of this device. I hoped it would replace printing. I bout three of them, and set-up my own WebDAV server to enable syncing. There seems to be a problem, however:

While I can see the files I put on the server on all three devices, the changes I make to the documents on any one device don't seem to sync to the others (nor to the server; can't see them on my laptop etc). There seems to be a function to "send" a file, where I can force it to upload, but it seems that when I do that it revs the file name, rather than replacing the original (I.e. Actually syncing). Plus, the UI is painfully slow, and requires multiple steps, when all it should really require is a hit of the 'sync' button (or, even better, be done in the background).

Does anyone here have experience with the sync? Is the function actually not fully implemented, so that "sync" is download only? Or am I doing something wrong? Man, I'd love for this thing to work! I grabbed three as a first attempt, but I can easily imagine filling my briefcase with another 3 or 4 so that I can have digital versions of all my docs without having to slowly load files. But only if it syncs properly!
from what i can tell, sony's sync looks like a back-up system to the WebDAV. there's no two way sync. so whatever you update on the first device gets pushed to the server. then on the second device, you will need to download the copy on the server, make edits, then upload again. but when going back to your first device, your local copy will NOT be updated. you have to delete the local copy just to avoid confusion, then download from the server again to get the copy edited by the second device.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:09 AM   #460
mrpotts
Connoisseur

Sync only works one way, from the Sony DPT up to the cloud, only one direction. And the battery with Wifi on is dead much quicker, 1-2 days with Wifi, 1-2 weeks without wifi on.

I manually sync to the SD cards by physically pulling it and putting it into my PC. Not ideal but I know the file transfer is exactly what I want, everytime.

Once version 2 comes out, I may put mine up for sale here, so watch this thread Shinra tensei. I have treated mine like gold and even built a wooden case for it, and I am now building a lighter weight Aluminum case.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:51 AM   #461
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Are you building your aluminium case with 3D printer? Please post picture of completed aluminium case and construction method.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:12 PM   #462
mrpotts
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Are you building your aluminium case with 3D printer? Please post picture of completed aluminium case and construction method.
I am building it by hand, not a 3D printer. Do they make 3D printers that work with liquid metal? I thought it was only printing using a plastic derivative.

I will post pics of the case when I am done. I've just been busy at work.

Phil
Old 02-28-2016, 07:14 PM   #463
mrpotts
Connoisseur

BTW,

What is the best way to replace the pen/stylus without paying Sony prices?

Can you just search for a "Wacom Digitizer Pen" and buy any one of them?

Thanks,
Phil
Old 02-29-2016, 08:16 AM   #464
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
3D metal printing is done in various ways. No cheap home 3D metal printers yet.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...-manufacturing
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #465
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Hey Mrpotts,

I'm interested in a case. Maybe you could consider making a business?! I for one would be delighted. Have been looking for something of that kind for long but the best thing I could find were notebook sleeves. Not fit to protect the device thoroughly. May I, out of pure curiosity, ask, how you come to be able to do it? Are you working in metals? Is it a cast or are you milling it?

As for a digitizer, it has previously been mentioned in this thread that Wacom digitizers work, though only a particular kind, I take it. My large "Intuos" dgitizer does not work but the ones used for tablets (Bamboo?) are said to work iirc. Better check a few pages back before ordering one, I'm not a 100% sure.

Last edited by ManDay; 03-05-2016 at 02:21 PM.
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crop, croppdf