Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
efleiss
efleiss began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
handcrafted bookcase for kindle

hey, fellow kindle users. about a year ago, I fell with the Kindle. being a bit head for 30 years I have spent years searching for an e-reader I could love- one that I felt really replaced a traditional hardbound book. then came the Kindle.

Immediately, I hated the included case. I have searched high and low. I really did not want a sleeve, or neoprene rubber, I wanted a case that felt like a book. so i decided to make my own. I think I have come up with something pretty different. something i plan on marketing on a custom basis. It is a hidden book design, similar to an examples I have seen elsewhere, possibly somewhere on this forum. I have gone through about 6 prototypes to get to one that works. It looks like a leather bound book, can be held in one hand with one side folded back, or easily removed, being held in with velcro "dots". I have been using one of the prototypes for a couple of weeks now, throwing it in my laptop case, bringing it with me everywhere. very durable. I have attached some pictures. one of the special things about this kind of case, is everyone is unique. tell me what you think. I will be selling this one on ebay. but I really wanted to see what people who own kindles think.

thanks
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG9934.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	358.5 KB
ID:	21091

Name:	CIMG9935.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	371.9 KB
ID:	21092

Name:	CIMG9939.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	368.6 KB
ID:	21093
efleiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Does the side get in the way of page turning?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Outwardly, beautiful.

However, I see no access to any ports, or to the whispernet/on/off switches. That would be a killer for me.....I don't want to have to take it out of the case each time I turn it on and off.

Is that a wooden frame you've put in around it? It looks like it might interfere with the page turning aspect.

Do you use your Kindle without a case?

Last edited by desertgrandma; 01-11-2009 at 10:19 PM. Reason: sp
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:58 PM   #4
efleiss

right side top and bottom are gold leaf and rigid - total design to be attractive and protective.

left side book flap folds entirely behind- so page turn and single hand use are both easily done. I was at a meeting last week in nyc and had to go down town via subway-was able to stand for 30 minutes on the A train read my kindle and never take my hand off the hang pole.

yes, the frame does block the ports and switches- but i look at it this way from my own experience- using velcro dots, the unit pops in and out simply and easily- i only turn on whispernet when I am buying a book or to download the times. I almost never turn my unit off. when I am home at night, i remove the unit and turn on whispernet if I need it, and plug in charger if I need it. but by and large, like with my pda, i want those switches and ports protected as well, although, i have considered a notchout for the port connections, i am trying to keep the traditional leatherbound book look and feel. this is also not meant to be a skin, rather more like a sleeve, if you will.

thank you for comments
Old 01-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
efleiss

i have been using one of the horrid neoprene skins recently, but since trying out my proto, i have gone back to naked device, although a skin can be used with the case easily.
Advert
Old 01-11-2009, 11:24 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Well, it looks like you've put a lot of thought into your design.

I admire the effort and skill it took to produce such a nice looking case.

I wish you luck on e-bay!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:08 AM   #7
Libby Cone
scribbler
Libby Cone doesn't litterLibby Cone doesn't litterLibby Cone doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
You saved me the trouble of starting a new thread on handmade covers and cases. It rocks! There's nothing like handmade!
Libby Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
efleiss

thanks

part of the thought was to protect the screen. i have seen a screen with nominal impact damage- pretty ugly.

in order for a screen to withstand impact damage here the following would have to occur

1) overcome the edge rigid strength of the gilded box- trust me not a light amount of pressure
2) pierce the leather cover itself besides destroying the very attractiveness, the force has to overcome the elasticity resistiveness of the material
3.) pierce the 1/32" rigid ply shield inside the cover under the leaf paper
4) maintain velocity to reach the screen

at that point, the projectile we are talking about is big enough, sharp enough and moving fast enough, that just the kindle's integrity is probably the least of my concerns and I will have probably dropped it anyway.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:29 PM   #9
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Nicely done! I change hands when reading, so the edge wouldn't work for me, but I bet there are some people for whom it would work great. Or it could be a nice storage case for the Kindle - hide in on your bookshelf. Cool.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #10
efleiss

well, thats part of the concept- when you are not using your kindle why should it look like another device sitting on your desk or coffee table- or if your in a public place, let it be a little more inonocuous. and btw, i have found using one of the protos, sometimes i keep it in the case, but sometime i just pop it out, because it is held in by velcro, very easy to manipulate in an out

thanks for the input
ed
Old 01-20-2009, 11:28 PM   #11
efleiss

selling custom made kindle case on ebay

for anyone who might be interested- here in the link to the auction site for the first of the kindle cases I am making- other styles to come as well as a real store front.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320334224592

also, better pictures below
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN01870002 cropped.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	21821   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN01880003 cropped.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	21822   Click image for larger version