Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
okalyddude
Enthusiast
okalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enough

Device: E600
Connecting android tablet and sony reader via usb?

Not sure if this should be in general, android, or sony forums... but here goes:

I am looking to make myself a nice double book by combining my prs 600 sony ereader with a 7 inch android (or linux if possible) tablet (cheap, was thinking nook color / tablet, or recommendations here?) into a nice hollowed out book for carrying case / protection.

Also, the sony ereader slows down quite a bit if I have an entire library on an sd card, so it'd be nice to have a library elsewhere that I can access (this reader has no wifi or anything) and the ability to download more books etc...

I know I could use a few different sd cards, move files around that way, seems redundant and annoying.

And I know a linux tablet could do it..

- Is there any way to use a usb connection? Will it show up in android as a an external storage device? (assuming I have a rooted android device too)

-Is there a good way to view and edit metidata (author, collection, series tags etc) on android?

-What is the best program to browse the ebook collection, read review / synopsis, see cover, etc? android program? or boot the original nook or kindle fire os? will those os recognize new content added without drm (pirated)

-No Calibre?
okalyddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
okalyddude
Enthusiast
okalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enough

Found this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19268...e-html-editor/

Would just need a decent html editor on android, i'm sure there's plenty... probably annoying
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
okalyddude
Enthusiast

and i'll probably wait a bit for this...
http://www.technobaboy.com/2012/01/2...-sandwich-249/
Old 01-28-2012, 01:25 AM   #4
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Hi ok!

Maybe I just didn't read carefully enough, but it sounds like what you want is an enTourage eDGe -- one side is eink, the other is Android LCD. It is formed like a book with a speaker in the hinge and the 2 sides interact. Sorry I don't have a picture!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
okalyddude
Enthusiast

Saw that one, it's the same idea but i'd rather build my own, so they are removable, customizable, plus i have a reader
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by okalyddude View Post
Is there any way to use a usb connection? Will it show up in android as a an external storage device? (assuming I have a rooted android device too)
You would need at a minimum USB on-the-go, and you might need a tablet with a full USB-A host port (I have only seen these on a few 10" tablets).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
okalyddude
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
a full USB-A host port.

Thats the key I didn't know, I'll keep a look out for that. Using an sd card or two wouldn't be the end of the world... just not as handy
Old 01-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I'm not sure if anything below ICS supports USB host mode, the latest Honeycomb might, but I'm pretty sure that no version of 2.X does.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #9
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I'm not sure if anything below ICS supports USB host mode, the latest Honeycomb might, but I'm pretty sure that no version of 2.X does.
That's not entirely true. My Archos 5 Internet Tablet running 1.6 supported USB host mode as do my Viewsonic GTablet and my Motorola Atrix (both with 2.2 and with 2.3). Host mode on these works great with flash drives, keyboards, and mice, but not so well with hard drives, cameras, etc. I think the host support was expanded in Honeycomb and Ice Cream Sandwich so that it supports a broader range of devices.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote