Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
cowboybill
cowboybill began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thumbs up New Toy

Hi, I'm really new to this EReader technology and I don't understand some of the tech talk on the web. I received a Sony PRS-T1 for Christmas and I need to know what formats are compatible.

I am one of those seniors that didn't grow up with technology, but I refuse to give up. I need to learn as much as I can about this new toy so I can use it effectively.

Any help would be appreciated

Gods Blessings
cowboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hi Bill. The Sony-T1 is primarily and Epub reading device. And is compatible with boosellers who provide Adobe DRM epubs. Unfortunately, this does not inlude Barnes and Noble, who use their own proprietary DRM encryption format.

You can get books from the Sony Store, Google Ebooks, Smashwords.com, Baen (if you like sci-fi) and most other independant e-book sellers who provide epub. I would avoid Kobo until they get their recent technical... oddities sorted out, as you may end up with a book that does not work properly on non-kobo devices and no recourse or support from Kobo.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
EscapeVelocity
Connoisseur
EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook Color - Gingerbread
You can also rent books from the library via Overdrive, and Project Gutenberg has a great collection of free classics.

Dont forget Feedbooks and Google Books as well, lots of free books, to learn the ropes with.
EscapeVelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
cowboybill

Talking Thanks

Thanks That gets me in the right direction.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Talking And.........

Don't forget the MobileRead Library !!
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
EscapeVelocity
Connoisseur
EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook Color - Gingerbread
How is it going cowboybill?

Give us an update!
EscapeVelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
I would avoid Kobo until they get their recent technical... oddities sorted out, as you may end up with a book that does not work properly on non-kobo devices and no recourse or support from Kobo.

Could you please elaborate on this? I've bought many books from Kobo and have never had any issues of them not working on non-Kobo devices. If it's epub, then it's epub and it works on epub devices, period. Even the Kobobooks site lists the devices that work with the books they sell.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
I guess, he refers to this problem.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #9
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Wow! I hadn't read that thread. Thanks for the heads up. I don't like the sounds of that at all.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
cowboybill

Downloaded my first book from Google Ebooks. Everything went smoothly and I am enjoying my reader. Thanks for all the suggestions and help.