Notices

Old 09-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
LoveReading
Enthusiast
LoveReading began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Son of Man

Hi,
This is my first post! I just finished reading a free book called "The Son of Man" by CW Johnson. This book grabs you from the first chapter. I could not put it down. The author has a great ability for story telling. The premise is "Imagine they set out to clone the Son of God; Imagine they succeed". I was reluctant to read it thinking it was a religious book, but it isn't. The book is the first in a series. You can get this free as an audio book or ereader (go to sonofman1.com). If you have Itunes, you can go to the store; audio books, and download Son of Man to your Ipod. I highly recommend it.
LoveReading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
you might like to try the "reading recommendations" thread ;o)

welcome to the forums!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Actually, not an uncommon trope. Look here if you want a few more examples.

One short story that I remembered (and found the name and author of thanks to my external electronic memory aid, otherwise known as "Google") is Born Again by K. D. Wentworth.

http://www.sfsite.com/07b/fs5204.htm

A copy of the story is findable if someone were to search for it...
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
LoveReading
Enthusiast

Thanks, I went to the site. I have not read any of them, but I'm really not into religious books. The Son of Man I just happened to see because it had 22,000 downloads in less than a month, so I gave it a try. I couldn't put it down. From what I understand, it's a 3 part series. Cast of characters is so interesting.
Thanks for replying... fun to be part of the group!

Last edited by LoveReading; 09-29-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, LoveReading.

Let us know where you are from, and don't forget to click on the "introduce myself" thread below.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 07:09 PM   #6
LoveReading
Enthusiast

Hi,
I'm from the Boston area and this is the first forum that I've joined. I will go onto the introduce page later this evening to "officially" introduce myself. Thanks for welcoming me!
Old 09-29-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
LoveReading
Enthusiast

Hi Desertgrandma,
I went to the link and introduced myself, but I don't see it anywhere!
Old 09-29-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I don't see it on your public posts....here, click on "new thread", and don't forget to hit "submit reply" when done.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
LoveReading
Enthusiast

I finally did it (ridiculous and embarrassing.... I used to be a computer programmer)! Anyways, I'm out of work for several weeks due to a fractured foot so today I'm going to seek out some new books to read!
Thanks again
Old 09-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
mmmm

a computer programmer out of work cos of a fractured foot .....

okay, sorry about the foot, but don't you use your finger to type with ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #11
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
mmmm

a computer programmer out of work cos of a fractured foot .....

okay, sorry about the foot, but don't you use your finger to type with ....
It is one of those old-fashioned treadle powered computers.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #12
LoveReading
Enthusiast

LOL, ok, misunderstanding. I was a computer programmer for years (started with Fortran - now I'm showing my age).... the reference was that I should know my way around the computer and forgot to hit the submit button! I haven't had a job in programming for years and miss it terribly. I'm actually a lighting consultant now and manage a lighting store in Boston. The fractured boot.... well, lost both of my parents this year.... to say the least... major grieving... think I was very stressed and then just fell down the stairs! Not a very exciting story about a fractured foot, but my fingers are just fine!
Old 10-05-2010, 02:42 AM   #13
CW Johnson
CW Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CW Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CW Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CW Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CW Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CW Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CW Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CW Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CW Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CW Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CW Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Actually, not an uncommon trope. Look here if you want a few more examples.

One short story that I remembered (and found the name and author of thanks to my external electronic memory aid, otherwise known as "Google") is Born Again by K. D. Wentworth.

http://www.sfsite.com/07b/fs5204.htm

A copy of the story is findable if someone were to search for it...

On the subject ‘The Son of Man’ being not an uncommon trope.
I beg to differ. It may have been done, but nowhere near as mainstream as the vampire trope before Stephanie Meyer wrote the Twilight series, or the wizard trope before JK Rowling wrote the Harry Potter series, or the serial killer trope before Thomas Harris wrote The Silence of the Lambs, or the Titanic trope (which is considered by some to be an entire genre:

http://www.titanic-titanic.com/forum....php?f=16&t=23 )

before James Cameron wrote and directed Titanic… etc, etc, and on and on… Over and over we see it’s not the trope that counts but the twist.
With respect to the first book in The Son of Man series, the cloning of Christ is merely the backdrop to the story of the young segregate couple and their dealings with the project’s malevolent financiers, The Vinces.
CW Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:57 AM   #14
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW Johnson View Post
On the subject ‘The Son of Man’ being not an uncommon trope.
I beg to differ. It may have been done, but nowhere near as mainstream as the vampire trope before Stephanie Meyer wrote the Twilight series...
I don’t mean that to belittle your book with that comment—truly new ideas in fiction are few and far between. Just like with any other reading recommendation thread, it was a statement that if you liked plot element x, here are more books with the same plot element that you may or may not like. And, while you are right that there isn’t a whole publishing niche built around “cloning Jesus” books like there is for “vampire romance” books (which I believe was really jump-started by Anne Rice, not Stephanie Meyer) it is still far from a novel novel idea.

See:

The Jesus Thief

The Christ Clone trilogy

The Divinity Gene

Christ Clone

The Christ Project

Cloning Christ

Cloning the Messenger

Children of the Shroud

There’s even a movie in production: The Gospel According to Jimmy, based on a French book called "L'evangile De Jimmy."

Last edited by ardeegee; 10-07-2010 at 01:59 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:54 AM   #15
CW Johnson
CW Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CW Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CW Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CW Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CW Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CW Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CW Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CW Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CW Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CW Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CW Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I don’t mean that to belittle your book with that comment—truly new ideas in fiction are few and far between. Just like with any other reading recommendation thread, it was a statement that if you liked plot element x, here are more books with the same plot element that you may or may not like. And, while you are right that there isn’t a whole publishing niche built around “cloning Jesus” books like there is for “vampire romance” books (which I believe was really jump-started by Anne Rice, not Stephanie Meyer) it is still far from a novel novel idea.

See:

The Jesus Thief

The Christ Clone trilogy

The Divinity Gene

Christ Clone

The Christ Project

Cloning Christ

Cloning the Messenger

Children of the Shroud

There’s even a movie in production: The Gospel According to Jimmy, based on a French book called "L'evangile De Jimmy."

Oops. I certainly did take on a defensive posture. I apologize.
CW Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote