Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #376
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I did and I've seen no difference between it and iOS 5. So no big deal.
I have; my battery life went in the crapper. And the maps suck.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #377
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
I don't know why you're playing dumb. If your iPod were still running iOS 4, released in 2010, as your Galaxy Player is, you'd be crying for blood. Awful Apple, forced obsolescence, blah blah. You can't convince anyone that you truly think there's no difference between a modern OS and an OS released two years ago.

As I said, cognitive dissonance.

No, I just find it interesting to see people defend Android without understanding the Android business model.
I think I might be confused; you're angry with tubemonkey because he isn't pissed off about his Galaxy Player not receiving an update, and isn't ecstatic about the update from iOS 5 to iOS 6? Do I have that right?

Is it possible that, despite the more recent update, he just doesn't like the iPod as much? Recent updates isn't the end-all, be-all when it comes to device functionality.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #378
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Yes gimps. There is more to a device than screen size and pixel density.
Glad to meet someone else who realizes that.

I haven't paid much attention to the Nexus announcements, but as far as I can tell the Nexus 4's only major gimps are insufficient onboard storage and no LTE antenna. There may be others I'm not aware of. However, in most other respects, the Nexus is on par with the latest offerings from Samsung and HTC, even besting them in some areas.

So I have trouble seeing how third-party manufacturers can justify a $300 price difference between the two. Yet they can't reduce prices to Google's level, because you can't compete with free. So what happens? Probably more of what's been happening for the last few years: they get even closer to the carriers and the two work together to shut Google out of the mainstream market in order to preserve their business model. Everyone loses.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #379
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I don't know why you're playing dumb. If your iPod were still running iOS 4, released in 2010, as your Galaxy Player is, you'd be crying for blood. Awful Apple, forced obsolescence, blah blah. You can't convince anyone that you truly think there's no difference between a modern OS and an OS released two years ago.
Why would I? My iPod is used for audiobooks and Pandora. iOS 4 would be just fine.

As to the old-new difference, it's how you use your device. Like I said, I see no difference between iOS 5 and iOS 6.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #380
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosvit View Post
I think I might be confused; you're angry with tubemonkey because he isn't pissed off about his Galaxy Player not receiving an update, and isn't ecstatic about the update from iOS 5 to iOS 6? Do I have that right?

Is it possible that, despite the more recent update, he just doesn't like the iPod as much? Recent updates isn't the end-all, be-all when it comes to device functionality.
I'm not angry, but I do find the hypocrisy flagrant and want to point it out so I can refer back to it in future discussions.

I'm surprised that, as a Samsung customer, it doesn't seem to bother him at all that his nearly-new device is completely unsupported. Then again, given that he now rejects all non-Nexus devices and their problems, it seems he does deep down but doesn't want to admit it.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #381
hrosvit
Moron

Quote:
I'm not angry, but I do find the hypocrisy flagrant and want to point it out so I can refer back to it in future discussions.

I'm surprised that, as a Samsung customer, it doesn't seem to bother him at all that his nearly-new device is completely unsupported. Then again, given that he now rejects all non-Nexus devices and their problems, it seems he does deep down, but doesn't want to admit it.
Sounds to me like he's satisfied with the product. I have a Rio mp3 player that is about 10 years old that I wear when I run, instead of my iPod Nano, iPod Classic or iPod Touch. It's more suited for that function. It's never been updated. I'm happy with it.

Is it really necessary to document and refer back to "hypocrisy"? Is this discussion really that important to you?
Old 10-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #382
holymadness
Guru

Quote:
Sounds to me like he's satisfied with the product. I have a Rio mp3 player that is about 10 years old that I wear when I run, instead of my iPod Nano, iPod Classic or iPod Touch. It's more suited for that function. It's never been updated. I'm happy with it.

Is it really necessary to document and refer back to "hypocrisy"? Is this discussion really that important to you?
It is unfortunately necessary to combat trolling.

I have no problem if someone is satisfied with their product as is. But when that same person mocks those who are satisfied with their products as being brainwashed sheep, manipulated by the reality distortion field, and so on, it's another matter.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #383
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have; my battery life went in the crapper. And the maps suck.
Yep, it's all about how these devices are used.

My iPod resides in a speaker dock, so battery life is irrelevant. And since I know my way around the house, I haven't felt compelled to turn maps on.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #384
hrosvit
Moron

Quote:
It is unfortunately necessary to combat trolling.

I have no problem if someone is satisfied with their product as is. But when that same person mocks those who are satisfied with their products as being brainwashed sheep, manipulated by the reality distortion field, and so on, it's another matter.
Then, by all means, carry on. I had no idea you had such a noble purpose in mind.

If you'd like us to hold him down while you berate him, just let us know.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #385
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
I'm surprised that, as a Samsung customer, it doesn't seem to bother him at all that his nearly-new device is completely unsupported.
Maybe it doesn't *need* extra support? As long as it works well, is relatively bug-free, and most Android apps continue to be version-independant, why would he care about it being supported? Not everyone needs (or wants) every single device they have to be constantly changing to be on the bleeding edge, after all.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #386
holymadness
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Maybe it doesn't *need* extra support? As long as it works well, is relatively bug-free, and most Android apps continue to be version-independant, why would he care about it being supported? Not everyone needs (or wants) every single device they have to be constantly changing to be on the bleeding edge, after all.
tubemonkey: "Google's gaining more control over Android with the Nexus line of devices by pushing updates directly to them the way Apple does. That's one reason why I'm going with the Nexus 7."

Seems like he cares when it's convenient to say so.

See how this works, hrosvit? No holding down necessary. They do all the work for you with a little coaxing.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #387
hrosvit
Moron

Quote:
tubemonkey: "Google's gaining more control over Android with the Nexus line of devices by pushing updates directly to them the way Apple does. That's one reason why I'm going with the Nexus 7."

See how this works, hrosvit? No holding down necessary. They do all the work for you with a little coaxing.
You're not helping yourself. He very distinctly said that he doesn't care about updates to the Galaxy Player. And he very distinctly said why. If you can't see that he views a media player like his Galaxy Player to be a very different type of device from a prospective tablet (as do I, for exactly the same reasons), then this is really a pointless discussion.

The only thing I use my iPod Touch for is music. And, very rarely, as a web surfing device of last resort. If it never gets another update during its lifespan, I don't care. The same is not true of my iPad; I read books, I surf the web extensively, I email, I watch movies, etc. I believe I speak for the simian (correct me if I'm wrong), when I say that, as I do, he views them as different classes of device. And the media player does not need and probably would not benefit from (considering his use) an update.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #388
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I'm surprised that, as a Samsung customer, it doesn't seem to bother him at all that his nearly-new device is completely unsupported. Then again, given that he now rejects all non-Nexus devices and their problems, it seems he does deep down but doesn't want to admit it.
It obviously bothers you. What support do I need? The current OS does what I need it to. If I ever need more, I can always jailbreak it.

Remember, the SGP4 is gimped compared to its contemporary smartphone cousins. The processor, RAM, cameras, and upgradeability are all weaker. I knew that going in. But there weren't any other viable options. Since I wasn't getting a premium device, upgrading the OS isn't as critical.

Now that I'm getting a 7" tablet with many features comparable to a premium smartphone, the OS matters. I'll be able to take advantage of the features it offers. Kinda a hard to do so if your device is low end and lacks the specs.

Google appears to be taking this seriously by introducing multiple devices tailored for the latest version of Android. That's where I prefer playing; if the price is right.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #389
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:

This thread is like being in the Lounge
Old 10-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #390
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
You're not helping yourself. He very distinctly said that he doesn't care about updates to the Galaxy Player. And he very distinctly said why. If you can't see that he views a media player like his Galaxy Player to be a very different type of device from a prospective tablet (as do I, for exactly the same reasons), then this is really a pointless discussion.

The only thing I use my iPod Touch for is music. And, very rarely, as a web surfing device of last resort. If it never gets another update during its lifespan, I don't care. The same is not true of my iPad; I read books, I surf the web extensively, I email, I watch movies, etc. I believe I speak for the simian (correct me if I'm wrong), when I say that, as I do, he views them as different classes of device. And the media player does not need and probably would not benefit from (considering his use) an update.
...most definitely!