Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #121
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmorDog View Post
I was wondering about this.

I love my Kobo going to sleep-only. I'll read for a few hours a day and not turn it off or charge it for four days. When wake in the morning, it's asleep and I can start reading instantly.

I agree, though, that it would be nice as a user setting.

The main problem comes down to battery usage. when it goes to sleep, I get 7 days out of a charge, and 12 days when I shut it off. While some people ask why would you want to get so many days when you can just charge it when not in use comes down to the fact that a battery, any rechargeable battery, only has a finite amount of times that it can be recharged before it won't take hold a charge anymore due to carbon build up during the charging process, so I like to extend the life of the battery as much as possible by not charging it whenever it's not in use. This is even more important because the battery within the kobo is not replaceable, which will be something I'll be looking at when I make my next ereader purchase.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #122
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
I get 7 days out of a charge, and 12 days when I shut it off.
I get 10 or 11 days when I use sleep and about 40 days when I use power on/off, reading about 2 hours a day. Your 12 days seems awfully short. Is your wi-fi shut off?

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:23 PM   #123
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
I get 10 or 11 days when I use sleep and about 40 days when I use power on/off, reading about 2 hours a day. Your 12 days seems awfully short. Is your wi-fi shut off?

ltr
it's usually off. Now, when you say you read about 2 hours a day, how many page turns are you doing within that time period? I'm a relatively slow reader only doing about 80-130 page turns a night, which means I'm getting 735 page turns on average when I go to sleep, and about 1260 when I turn it off, which definitely is low according to their specs. I do know at least one other person is getting identical battery life to me, however I don't know if their reading habits are the same as mine..

I've been thinking of leaving my kobo in sleep mode for the next couple of weeks without touching it and see how it does... Also, now that we're a three Kobo family, we'll be able to compare against each other too, particularly since the wife zips through books much quicker than I.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #124
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke
I'm a relatively slow reader only doing about 80-130 page turns a night, which means I'm getting 735 page turns on average when I go to sleep, and about 1260 when I turn it off, which definitely is low according to their specs.
I would guess I read about 240 pages a night, which would be an average of 30 seconds a page - not that fast. ( I use small font)

So, 40 days would be about 9600 page turns, which seems about right for their claimed spec.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:42 PM   #125
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
While some people ask why would you want to get so many days when you can just charge it when not in use comes down to the fact that a battery, any rechargeable battery, only has a finite amount of times that it can be recharged before it won't take hold a charge anymore due to carbon build up during the charging process, so I like to extend the life of the battery as much as possible by not charging it whenever it's not in use.
No such thing as "carbon buildup" in lithium-ion batteries. They do have a finite shelf life from oxidization though, whether you use them or not, of about 3-4 years. They're also usually good for 300-500 charge cycles so you can do a charge 2-3 times a week with no issues. Charge away.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote