Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
iPad reading in bed

Any of you lucky iPad owners try to read in bed last night? I'd like to know your thoughts. I'm curious how it compares to e-ink with a night light.
Thanks!
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
killdanzig
killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony PRS-600
did it last night.

was reading some comics and it works beautifully.

my only issue is that i like e-ink better, as my eyes get tired reading a lcd display.

i even turned the contrast/brightness down to help combat that, though when i was reading it was completely dark in the room, as my wife was trying to sleep.

i will be reading again tonight, however i will leave a light on this time.
killdanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
tmarks11
tmarks11 began at the beginning.

Device: Everun
Try inverting the screen (black background, white text). Someone reported that the Kindle app allows that (how about the Apples? Will it do that?).

I prefer red text on black background on an lcd, as it limits the light you are staring at, and preserves your night vision (some what). Unfortunate that all ebook readers don't allow that level of customization.
tmarks11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
SomeThingWickd
First to go, last to know
SomeThingWickd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, iPhone w/Stanza, and NOW a 16GB Apple iPad WiFi
Read for 4 hours on it last night....after tweaking the font, size and brightness....I found myself enjoying it a bit more than my PRS-505.....and I read text, and a few comics.. No eye strain at ALL..or rather no more than with my e-ink reader....(LOVE the color, contrast and bells and whistles on the iPad..didn't think I would get sucked over to the dark side so quickly..but...was worth EVERY penny!!!!!)

Downside...is HUGE compared to the 505, and took some time to readjust my position in bed, and the device itself till I was in the groove....but, after that it was BRILLIANT...spent this morning between the kitchen cooking Easter dinner to the Macbook/Calibre converting my hoard into ePub, and syncing via iTunes...

Very Happy, would recommend one to anyone that enjoys reading eBooks, Comics (This thing ROCKS comics...!!!!!!) But do keep in mind, it is NOT a netbook replacement....It fits well between my Macbook and iPhone....(In a place I never thought existed, but now find myself wondering how I could live without it..)

Hope this helps....
SomeThingWickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Thank you!
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #6
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Works great once you turn the brightness way down. I also prefer the landscape/2 page mode. It's a lot heavier than my iPhone but easier to hold than a hardback. No need for a night light which my wife appreciates.

I like reading on my iPhone for books, but the iPad is growing on me

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I read in bed last night using both the iBooks and the Kindle software. It can get very dark using the Kindle and the Black background. The iBooks doesn't have the night reading option. What I did was use the Apple case and propped it up so I didn't have to hold it. You can actually sit it on your chest with your head on a pillow to read. It's not bad.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
It's very good. I just laid down and read with it resting on my chest just like I did my Kindle, the extra weight didn't bother me.

I preferred it to the Kindle, in the dim light it was easier to read, just have to adjust the brightness of the screen to the proper level so it's not too dim nor too bright.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:58 PM   #9
The Hooded Claw
Connoisseur
The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Android phone with Kindle app, Kindle 4 in reserve
Be careful about falling asleep while reading the iPad! It would be a tragedy to drop it on a hardwood floor after falling asleep, or even to roll over on it and have the glass not bear up well....

I just heard about a thing called a Peeramid, and it sounds like it might be a good place to prop an iPad. I just ordered it minutes ago.
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
jaybee
Enthusiast
jaybee began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Touch PRS-500
I tried it. For a few minutes. Too heavy for comfort. I went back to my Touch, which I can hold in one hand. (I like to lie on my side.) I'll read on it some out of bed--maybe on the Kindle reader so I can keep the two devices in sync.
jaybee is offline   Reply With Quote