Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your ideal cover/case?
I'm good with the standard cover 35 28.69%
I don't need no stinkin' cover or case 2 1.64%
I have a homebrew monstrosity 17 13.93%
I have the leather cover 20 16.39%
I have that fancy integrated reading light cover 19 15.57%
I'm still looking 29 23.77%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Question What is your ideal cover/case for the Reader?

I've been thinking about this lately, it always amazes me how much lighter and sleeker the reader feels when you have it in your hand without the (standard) cover attached. While I pop it out once in a while, I really would prefer a hard 'slide-out' case there you can stash the reader for transport, yet easily pop it out for reading (preferably with a cool mechanism).

While thinking about this, I tried to mentally sort the requirements and wishes I have for a case.

Requirements:
1. Protection
a. Protection from impact
b. Protection from crushing/screen 'denting'
2. Ease of use - no fiddling when inserting/removing the book

Wishes:
1. integrated reading light without compromising on size and bulk
2. memory card storage
3. integrated bookstand
4. book-like appearance?

Here's an early concept, based on the hollow book idea. To attach the reader, I would say velcro. I call it the frankenbook.

IT'S ALIVE! ALIIIIIIVE! (also, a testament to what a hack I am with GIMP)

So, um, what would you want in a cover/case? How about a solar panel for self-charging?
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
I currently have a very secure and protective case but it is a big larger than I like. It is made from a padfolio that I inserted a metal plate into the front cover of. Bulkier than I like but does a great job of protecting my Reader and looks nice. I also cut out an old library book that I bought for 25¢. It also protects the Reader very well and is smaller and lighter but doesn't look as nice. I guess it could be seen as built in theft prevention. I also cannot sync the reader while in the book whereas I can with the folio case. I tried looking for a refillable journal that was the right size that I could reinforce the cover but I was unsuccessful.

The search continues.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2008, 04:05 AM   #3
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
I really fancy the new silicon cover that is due out soon, hoping my local Waterstones will have it on Friday.
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:52 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Please review if you get one!
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I absolutely loved red Dooney & Bourke Reader Cover. But it was too expensive and they didn't ship outside the USA.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
The big advantage for the Sony for me is that it fits in my shirt pocket --- any case would have to be similarly svelte so as to allow this. I'd love a hard metal cover which would attach to cover the screen (perhaps using the same attachment indentations as the standard cover?) and then fold back to allow reading. Alternately something which the reader could slide in and out of (sideways, so the friction would be on the chrome plated plastic at the top and bottom) might work.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #7
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
The big advantage for the Sony for me is that it fits in my shirt pocket
That's a good-sized shirt then. I can just fit my Blackberry 8820 in there.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:41 AM   #8
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
The pockets are quite large, the shirts were from www.travelsmith.com --- but it looks like the new ones have smaller pockets....

Guess I'll be going back to having shirts tailor-made as I did when I was carrying my Newton.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:37 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I always put mine in a dirty sock, the dirtier the better, especially if the sock is someone else's and not mine. (Of course, they must not be wearing the sock when I decide to use it on my Reader. I'm not that stupid!)

It's amazing how many people leave me alone now, especially when I'm on a busy subway or reading in the elevator. No longer do I get silly, stupid questions. Now people just stare.

I've cut away part of the sock in order to read without taking the sock off the Reader. This makes it really easy to read. However, I'm still faced with certain questions about my Reader's durability. I'm toying with the idea of using an old boot, one with hardened leather, but I'm having difficulty finding one on the street.

I also need help determining the best color sock. Personally, I think a white sock is best, but hey, that's just me, and your sock may differ.

(Pictures forthcoming.)

P.S. : Seriously, I did vote. I'm just having a little fun.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:43 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I always put mine in a dirty sock, the dirtier the better, especially if the sock is someone else's and not mine. (Of course, they must not be wearing the sock when I decide to use it on my Reader. I'm not that stupid!)

It's amazing how many people leave me alone now, especially when I'm on a busy subway or reading in the elevator. No longer do I get silly, stupid questions. Now people just stare.

I've cut away part of the sock in order to read without taking the sock off the Reader. This makes it really easy to read. However, I'm still faced with certain questions about my Reader's durability. I'm toying with idea of using an old boot, one with hardened leather, but I'm having difficulty finding one on the street.

I also need help determining the best color sock. Personally, I think a white sock is best, but hey, that's just me, and your sock may differ.

(Pictures forthcoming.)

P.S. : Seriously, I did vote. I'm just having a little fun.
Dr. Drib, you may want to try a dark-coloured sock (alternately, a white sock will work, if it is *really* dirty). due to an optical illusion, the contrast of the screen next to the dark / dirty sock will make the background of the screen appear brighter. i would think that a really dirty sock should be easy to find on the street. if not, just take the one you have now and lie it down nice and flat on a busy road with lots of traffic. rainy weather might be really good for this due to mud. you should probably take the sony out of the sock first.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
Dr. Drib, you may want to try a dark-coloured sock (alternately, a white sock will work, if it is *really* dirty). due to an optical illusion, the contrast of the screen next to the dark / dirty sock will make the background of the screen appear brighter. i would think that a really dirty sock should be easy to find on the street. if not, just take the one you have now and lie it down nice and flat on a busy road with lots of traffic. rainy weather might be really good for this due to mud. you should probably take the sony out of the sock first.
Hmmmm, zelda_pinwheel, I'll have to take your idea into consideration.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:59 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Hmmmm, zelda_pinwheel, I'll have to take your idea into consideration.

you let me know if you see a difference.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:19 PM   #13
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Well, I think the standard Sony case did a good job of protecting my Sony. I dropped the Reader onto a tiled floor a couple of days ago. The impact was hard enough to break the bottom of the plastic clip but the Sony itself was undamaged.

An update: I ripped out the broken plastic clip - it's just held in with two tiny plastic hooks and a smidgeon of glue. I used two small pieces of double sided tape to stick the Sony inside the back of cover. This works well. Maybe Sony over-engineered their cover. A metal version of their cover would be good.

Last edited by RCR; 09-05-2008 at 07:10 AM. Reason: update
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:09 PM   #14
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Just voted for a homebrew monstrosity. But actually, I use the standard Sony case that came with my PRS500 all the time. It's just that I put that in a homebrew case made from a DVD security case when I need to pack it. That way I don't wind up with expensive ouchies...

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #15
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
I use the standard Sony case that came with my PRS500 all the time. It's just that I put that in a homebrew case made from a DVD security case when I need to pack it.
I do the same, with my 505 & not being able to use my DVD case is one reason I've not (yet :-)) splashed out on one of the new light-wedge cases!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote