Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-10-2014, 07:52 AM   #1
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
How to write blurbs

There is a thread here where people are complaining about writing blurbs, so I thought I would start this one to help give some ideas... here are your ideas...

Well it's just one idea realy, and it is to go read this blog post someone made a while back --> http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2013...le-book-blurb/

VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
Anna Drake
Zealot
Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Wow! VydorScope, thanks for the link! I'm going back now to study the page.

It's funny, too. As a small-town journalist I routinely promoted every man, dog, and event that wandered into the newsroom. And quite frankly, I thought I gave them good coverage. But when it comes to doing the same for myself or my work . . . . . Ugh.

Last edited by Anna Drake; 01-10-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Anna Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Thanks for the link, I will study it at a more suitable time of day than 2am. As Anna suggests, I think a lot of the problem stems from some sort of self-consciousness. It's hard to step back that far from your own work after being so involved in the depths of it for so long.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Thanks for the link, I will study it at a more suitable time of day than 2am. As Anna suggests, I think a lot of the problem stems from some sort of self-consciousness. It's hard to step back that far from your own work after being so involved in the depths of it for so long.
That's just what I was thinking. When she was writing about what other people have done she no doubt from her objective position was able to decide what points to put emphasis on but self-examination is often much harder. We can often see what is good or bad about others a lot easier than we can about ourselves and that includes our own work. It also occurs to me that the 4 steps they mention in the article can probably be useful in coming up with the plot idea to start with. You have to know how the story starts, how it ends and have an idea what problems will come up. And how you want the story to be taken emotionally is also important. You don't want readers to laugh at a romance or tragic story for example.

Last edited by crich70; 01-10-2014 at 05:44 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote