Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
New covers for old books

I was recently pointed at this collection of new covers for classic books:

http://recoveringtheclassics.com/

There are some nice covers there, but I find the website quite awkward. It is somewhat focused on monetising the covers and seems to lack useful information. You can only download the covers in exchange for an email address, and it's not made clear what you can then do with them (although I guess no-one really cares/knows if I use it for my downloaded Project Gutenberg version in Calibre).

It's a good idea, though, and I wondered if there were any similar collections or projects around?

Last edited by DrNefario; 08-02-2013 at 11:14 AM. Reason: changed title
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There are huge potential copyright issues with this, unless the covers concerned are out of copyright. Copyright protection applies to covers just as it does to text.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

These covers are created and contributed by the artists/designers specifically for the site. They get a cut of the proceeds of the physical and ebook sales (and poster sales). There is also a download button, but it doesn't tell you what you're allowed to do with it. Or really mention it much anywhere, as far as I can see.

It seemed to me that there might be other sites or artists out there doing similar things. People are often doing alternate movie posters and the like. If they're happy for me to use them for my personal copy of the book, that's all I'm looking for.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
These covers are created and contributed by the artists/designers specifically for the site.
Thanks. From the name I (wrongly) thought that this was a collection of "classic" book covers.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Cool website. And unlike infringing websites, the covers are quite nice (e.g. they aren't scans from tattered old paperbacks and the cover aspect ratios appear to be consistent).
Advert
Old 08-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
DrNefario
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks. From the name I (wrongly) thought that this was a collection of "classic" book covers.
I see what you mean. Not my best choice of thread title.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, your title is fine. It's a collection of covers for classic books .