Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #91
goenieg
goenieg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Ok, here's what I did (hoping it might help someone else too)

Factory reset, after that updated via wifi
(there's a renaming bit of the attached files because mobileread won't let me upload .tgz or .ini files, just rename them, no unzipping involved). And I still haven't found a way to remove the footer completely, any tips on that much appreciated.

Hook up Glo to computer

Rename koboroot_telnet.zip to koboroot.tgz

Copy the file to the .kobo directory (make sure you have view hidden files on)

Remove USB cable, update will happen automagically

Hook up Glo to computer

Rename koboroot_tweaks.zip to koboroot.tgz

Copy the file to the .kobo directory

Rename kobotweaks.zip to kobotweaks.ini

Copy kobotweaks.ini to .kobo directory.

Power down your device, power up.

Click Library, and then the Home button again (the little house on the top left)

You should now have the tools menu on the bottom of your device. The kobotweaks.ini file is just a sample (I stole from somewhere), edit it as you like.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KoboRoot_telnet.zip (740 Bytes, 458 views)
File Type: zip KoboRoot_tweaks.zip (72.8 KB, 483 views)
File Type: zip kobotweaks.zip (620 Bytes, 524 views)

Last edited by goenieg; 05-06-2013 at 06:17 AM.
goenieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #92
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
goenieg,

Glad you got it. You might want to look at the Glo Night Mode thread as another nice thing to add to your new Tools menu.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #93
INCSlayer
INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 2(626)
im new here so i apologize if this is a known issue but is there a way to use tweaks to change the clock to the 24-hour format? the kobotweaks.ini file from goenieg's post has a setting for it but that setting isnt doing anything for me

edit:
found a solution to my problem here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206200

Last edited by INCSlayer; 05-09-2013 at 01:32 PM.
INCSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #94
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
No luck getting it to work on the Aura so far.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:03 AM   #95
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I can confirm too that it does not work on the Aura. What a pity !
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2013, 01:30 AM   #96
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Look for some threads where changing the LOCALIZATION setting was being done by people to alter the time format.

Ah.. it was actually changing the DATE format. See How to get your Kobo to use non-US dates

I wonder if you can find a setting that would give you the desired time format though...

Ah... en_GB for instance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Okay... what country speaks English, has a dd/mm/yy date and has a 24h clock?

Oh, nevermind, en_GB gives ddmmyy dates and 24h clock (hadn't expected that).

Last edited by PeterT; 05-10-2013 at 01:34 AM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:08 AM   #97
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
It seems that changing the date format can cause an unexpected bug. See "Unexpected locale causes italic text to be displayed as bold with some fonts" on Bugs thread
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #98
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
It seems that changing the date format can cause an unexpected bug. See "Unexpected locale causes italic text to be displayed as bold with some fonts" on Bugs thread
Please learn how to post links to a specific post in a thread.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #99
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
Hmm! I like that. Was just reading a book in Large Print/Dead Tree format and on my Kobo - and wishing I could easily override the CSS to make all italics show as bold, the way they were formatted in the LP book. Italics are not good for those of us with eyes old enough to need LP books.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #100
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
I also don't like italic on electronic devices, they render it very bad IMHO

@PeterT: I do know how to post anchor links, or I was not be able even to post the link to the first post. it was intended, since I suspect no one reads the first post of the Bugs thread. There's a link to the bug list in the 1st post anyway, and the list is in the second post...
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #101
Fortron
Fortron began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
The previous version of Kobo Tweak used to start automaticly
but for some reason the current version doesn't.
I have to click Library and then the Home button each time
before I get to see the Tools menu.

Is this a known issue?
Fortron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #102
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortron View Post
The previous version of Kobo Tweak used to start automaticly
but for some reason the current version doesn't.
I have to click Library and then the Home button each time
before I get to see the Tools menu.

Is this a known issue?
yes :-)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #103
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
one more point: under firmware 2.5.1 there is a considerable vertical offset (towards the top) of the menu bar invoked with the "tools" - before I could see the whole list of tweaks I had inserted, now two or three of them go off screen.
quick note that offset still there in 2.5.2 on the Mini
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #104
Glueckstiger
Glueckstiger began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo 2.5.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by goenieg View Post
Ok, here's what I did (hoping it might help someone else too)

Factory reset, after that updated via wifi
(there's a renaming bit of the attached files because mobileread won't let me upload .tgz or .ini files, just rename them, no unzipping involved). And I still haven't found a way to remove the footer completely, any tips on that much appreciated.

Hook up Glo to computer

Rename koboroot_telnet.zip to koboroot.tgz

Copy the file to the .kobo directory (make sure you have view hidden files on)

Hook up Glo to computer

Rename koboroot_tweaks.zip to koboroot.tgz

Copy the file to the .kobo directory

Rename kobotweaks.zip to kobotweaks.ini

Copy kobotweaks.ini to .kobo directory.

Power down your device, power up.

Click Library, and then the Home button again (the little house on the top left)

You should now have the tools menu on the bottom of your device. The kobotweaks.ini file is just a sample (I stole from somewhere), edit it as you like.
Hi,

i just updated my glo to 2.5.2 and i dont get the kobotweaks work.
On 2.2.1 it worked very well.
I copied the files like you mentioned in 1.-3. powered off the glo and powered on, then clicked on library and home, opened an epub-ebook (and also a pdf and a kepub), but kobotweaks didnt show up.

What did i do wrong?
Glueckstiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #105
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glueckstiger View Post
Hi,

i just updated my glo to 2.5.2 and i dont get the kobotweaks work.
On 2.2.1 it worked very well.
I copied the files like you mentioned in 1.-3. powered off the glo and powered on, then clicked on library and home, opened an epub-ebook (and also a pdf and a kepub), but kobotweaks didnt show up.

What did i do wrong?
You'll have to edit kobotweaks.ini to tell it to use your firmware version.
Code:
[Global]
compatFirmware=2.5.2
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote