Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
talkinggoat
talkinggoat began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
PDF Convert Removes All "ll"... everywhere

I know there's a bug... I read the sticky, but Calibre is removing ll's from everything; even words like all will be replaced with al. I've tried using the checkbox to keep ligatures, but it doesn't do anything.

Is this normal behavior and something I'll just have to live with?
talkinggoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkinggoat View Post
I know there's a bug... I read the sticky, but Calibre is removing ll's from everything; even words like all will be replaced with al. I've tried using the checkbox to keep ligatures, but it doesn't do anything.

Known,
Read the PDF sticky above.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool PDF is awful....

Quote:

This is a common problem when Calibre converts certain PDFs that are generated by certain (presently which ones do this is unknown to me) PDF generating software. If setting calibre to 'keep ligatures' before converting doesn't help the situation then try printing the afflicted PDF with PDFCreator installed (choose PDFCreator as your destination printer) which will create a new PDF file (it doesn't output anything to your printer) and then add it as a new book to Calibre and convert this new PDF file.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
KindleMama
KindleMama began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Oh, this is rich...I've had the "double L" issue with a few of my books, mostly freebie eBooks that I converted from PDF form. I tried the above solution using PDFCreator, and now it apparently has DRM on it! I can't win! LOL
KindleMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleMama View Post
Oh, this is rich...I've had the "double L" issue with a few of my books, mostly freebie eBooks that I converted from PDF form. I tried the above solution using PDFCreator, and now it apparently has DRM on it! I can't win! LOL
FYI, I am not experienced with PDF conversions, but you should start by reading the Sticky post titled "Read this before Posting PDF Questions" at the top of this forum.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
Devon
Enthusiast
Devon began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle
I don't find this a Calibre issue. The few times it has happened to me, I found the ll's to be hidden text in Adobe Acrobat Pro. Unfortunately I have not figured out how to unhide text. I have rescanned the PDF with an OCR - that is the only fix I have found.

Anyone else??
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
/
Quote:

Assuming you have Windows you could try converting with MobiCreator ===>>> http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloa...ilscreator.asp.

It creates a PRC file which you can then convert to EPUB, MOBI etc using Calibre. I convert a lot of PDFs from gov, edu, org etc sites. My experience is that MobiCreator is about as good it gets for freeware, and better than many Pay4Me products. I think it deals with the lost 'll' problem, I can't recall getting any since I started using it - I spell check the EPUB's I create.

If you want to try an alternative to PDF Creator I suggest Bullzip ===>>> http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php - I use it to 'print' locked PDF's so I can annotate with PDF xChange.

Good Luck - BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-19-2012 at 08:04 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote