Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
nbc
nbc began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
[Old Thread] Problems with Linux/Calibre and Nook

Hi all,

I'm new to E-Readers, so this may be a simple couple of questions. My wife bought me a Nook last week. I was able to set it up using her Mac (and Adobe Digital Editions) and I have successfully loaded a book into the device.

On my Linux system, I installed ADE under Crossover Office. I was able to authorize the user (same as the Mac) but I can't get ADE to recognize the Nook when I plug it in, so I have NOT gotten a book onto the Nook via my Linux system.

Last week, I installed Calibre. It came up and recognized the Nook immediately. However, when I send an ePub file that I downloaded (using ADE) to the Nook, it tells me 'User not authenticated' when I try to open the book for reading.

So my first question is - what do I need to do to configure my Linux system to work with Configure and the Nook. Do I need the ADE authentication info? Do I need ADE at all?

Second question - when I tried downloading a book from the local library, it created a .ascm file, which I gather is more or less a meta-file with the associated lending/DRM intormation. I was able to download the actual ePub book using ADE. Can I do the download with Configure? I was not able to figure out how to make that happen.

And finally, I'm running this on a Fedora 14 system - and every time I close Configure I get a 'Crash' notice - looks like the program doesn't shut down properly. Anyone know if this is a known problem? Is there a newer version or fix available? It isn't critical - seems like the program works fine until shutdown...

Thanks in advance,

nbc
nbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
I also run linux with ADE a Nook and calibre..

I have ADE running under Wine and no it will not see the nook as wine does not seem to read USB devices. But the nook works like a dream with calibre. I buy most of my books from B&N so no real problem for me.

But the books I do get, that I need to use ADE to allow the books to be "authenticated" ...well .. I strip the DRM from them and load those books into calibre. Only takes a couple of seconds.. extra.

I think that would be your best option
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
nbc
nbc began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
So how do I do that?

Once I've downloaded the ePub file from the library - what do I need to do with it so I can load it into Calibre and then to the Nook?

Thanks,

nbc
nbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
I will send you a PM
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
dotancohen
Enthusiast
dotancohen is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
I will send you a PM
I'd like that PM too if you don't mind. I just bought a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight and I'd love to start using it with Calibre. On on the latest Kubuntu.

Moderator Notice
This thread is almost two years old. As a general rule of thumb Do Not resurrect threads that have been dormant for more than 6 months. When in doubt create a new thread.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-12-2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: added mod info
dotancohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotancohen View Post
I just bought a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight and I'd love to start using it with Calibre. On on the latest Kubuntu.
When starting out with calibre an excellent source of information are the Sticky Posts at the top of every calibre forum. Try reading this Sticky post to start, New to calibre? Start Here.

Good Reading!
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
dotancohen
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
When starting out with calibre an excellent source of information are the Sticky Posts at the top of every calibre forum. Try reading this Sticky post to start, New to calibre? Start Here.

Good Reading!
Thank you Doctor! The basics I've got down, I've been using Calibre to manage my books on the desktop for some time now. It is just the DRMed files that are troublesome as ADE is not available for Linux. To that I was referring in the post.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotancohen View Post
Thank you Doctor! The basics I've got down, I've been using Calibre to manage my books on the desktop for some time now. It is just the DRMed files that are troublesome as ADE is not available for Linux. To that I was referring in the post.
In that case google Apprentice Alf's blog for details and ask questions on specifics there.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
dotancohen
Enthusiast

Thanks, Doctor!