Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
bettn
bettn began at the beginning.

Device: none
How do I learn to create fixed page pubs

I'm trying to create a photography book to sell as an ePub and on the kindle store - I've made plenty of iBooks and published them in the iBookstore - unfortunately one has recently been rejected because of Apple's censorship rules. My books look exactly the way i want them to in iBooks and want to recreate them as closely as possible to sell as mobi and epubs. I've noticed that unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a program similar to iBooks Author for making epubs... I've tried InDesign CS6 for epubs but moved to Pages as I thought it might be simpler.

So far I can't find any thing that explains step by step how to make fixed Layout epubs - in any program- usually I use Lynda.com but they only have fixed layout epubs for the iBookstore. My knowledge on inDesign and iBooks author is quite good but my knowledge on HTML is limited. Is this accomplishable?*
bettn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
You can start here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Fixed_layout_ePub
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Have you considered making a PDF instead?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:41 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can't sell PDFs in the Kindle Store, I believe.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:34 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What about print replica books (AZW4)? AFAIK, they're just custom .pdfs with an Amazon DRM wrapper.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Neither fixed-page epubs, can you?
Old 03-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, but the OP said he wants to sell both ePub and Kindle books. I would imagine that the ePub books would be sold in ePub stores.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

I guess I misread the title, I thought it said "create fixed page epubs"

Do fixed-page epubs convert properly to mobi, anyway?
Old 03-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Do fixed-page epubs convert properly to mobi, anyway?
Yes, if they are formatted in accordance with the Kindle Publishing Guidelines. Fixed layout .mobi files, or more precisely .azw3 files, need to be defined using 3 special mandatory metadata items:

Code:
<meta name="fixed-layout" content="true"/> 
<meta name="original-resolution" content="1024x600"/> 
<meta name="orientation-lock" content="landscape"/>
(Parameters marked in magenta are book-specific.)

However, Amazon's fixed layout syntax is different from Apple's. I.e., the OP cannot easily leverage his iBooks content.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
At present, all fixed layouts are not actually ePub because they are not standard. Each implementation has it's own formatting. iBooks is not the same as Amazon's KF8 which is not the same as B&N's. So you would have to code to each variety and it would be specific to a specific device/app.

If you don't have to do fixed layout, you'd be better off not doing so.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote