Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #1471
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Does not work (of course?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Not yet.
Go for it and give us your report back.
JBPatch does not work on it. And trying to reinstall the kindlet jailbreak gives error 007.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #1472
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinekamel View Post
JBPatch does not work on it. And trying to reinstall the kindlet jailbreak gives error 007.
Now that is interesting. Error 007 == jailbreak not installed.

This is an incremental update, so if the jailbreak was installed before the update, it should have survived. Did Amazon just show us the ultimate middle finger and REMOVE the jailbreak during the update?

EDIT: My bad. It's not an incremental update, but a full one. So yes, the jailbreak is lost during the upgrade.

Last edited by ixtab; 07-23-2013 at 09:25 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #1473
silverzhao
Enthusiast
silverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle Touch
It seems that Jbpatch doesn't work on KT 5.3.7 any more, at least dictionary lookup doesn't. Is it so?
silverzhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #1474
silverzhao
Enthusiast
silverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle Touch
Oh, no! I just read the old posts, and then got to know JbPatch doesn't support Kindle since 5.3.5.

My god! Wish I hadn't upgraded my KT to 5.3.7!

How I miss the multi-dictionary lookup feature!
silverzhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #1475
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverzhao View Post
Oh, no! I just read the old posts, and then got to know JbPatch doesn't support Kindle since 5.3.5.

My god! Wish I hadn't upgraded my KT to 5.3.7!

How I miss the multi-dictionary lookup feature!
Bah... Kindle Touch? No problem. Just Kubrick it back to 5.1.2, and then decide if you want to go for 5.3.2.1 or not
Advert
Old 07-28-2013, 01:55 AM   #1476
ams
Enthusiast
ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo: Mini, Libra 2
I'm using a KT with FW 5.1.2. Bought it recently just because of JBPatch. Thank you so much for this great patch (and Kubrick and Collections Manager).

I have one suggestion:
Would it be possible to have an alternative version of coverview.jar without the thumbnail fix (could be just the coverview.jar file I guess, to be sync-ed after installation of the main distribution)?

As Calibre now sideloads the thumbnails, there is no real problem anymore with Amazon's thumbnail bug.

The thumbnail fix in JBPatch's coverview for KT 5.1.2 treats old mobi and KF8 azw3 differently (azw3 files seem to behave the same with and without the fix). But the main problem is that for mobi books the thumbnail filename does not contain the ASIN but rather a number that changes everytime the mobi-file changes (like when editing the book or the metadata). As a consequence the system/thumbnails directory after a while is full of duplicate thumbnail files.
ams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:36 AM   #1477
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams View Post
I'm using a KT with FW 5.1.2. Bought it recently just because of JBPatch. Thank you so much for this great patch (and Kubrick and Collections Manager).

I have one suggestion:
Would it be possible to have an alternative version of coverview.jar without the thumbnail fix (could be just the coverview.jar file I guess, to be sync-ed after installation of the main distribution)?

As Calibre now sideloads the thumbnails, there is no real problem anymore with Amazon's thumbnail bug.

The thumbnail fix in JBPatch's coverview for KT 5.1.2 treats old mobi and KF8 azw3 differently (azw3 files seem to behave the same with and without the fix). But the main problem is that for mobi books the thumbnail filename does not contain the ASIN but rather a number that changes everytime the mobi-file changes (like when editing the book or the metadata). As a consequence the system/thumbnails directory after a while is full of duplicate thumbnail files.
I'm not entirely sure if I understand the problem correctly... but it seems like this is essentially calibre's fault.

The cover view patch itself does not generate the thumbnails, but merely patches the firmware to also treat .mobi (KF7) files which contain a UUID (rather than an ASIN) as "files which can contain a valid thumbnail image". If I disabled that part of the functionality, those files would most probably show up without a thumbnail, even if they contained one.

The "calibre" bit from your post is particularly puzzling. So from what I understand, calibre creates a new UUID every time the file is modified. This is the root cause of all the trouble. What I don't get is what happens next.

A) Does calibre create the according thumbnail file by itself and put it into the thumbnails directory? In this case it would be calibre which is responsible for cluttering the file system.

B) Does calibre create some other file with a stable name (what?), and put it somewhere on the file system (where?) ? In this case disabling that part of the cover view patch would still result in the book not showing a cover in cover view.

Sorry if this post sounded a bit confused, it's because I am confused

Anyway, I'm attaching a version of the cover view patch which does not contain the parts with the ASIN/UUID fix. So give this one a try and let me know if it does what you hoped for, but don't be surprised if you don't see covers at all for the affected books. If it helps, good. If it doesn't - honestly, I wouldn't worry about those few duplicate files in the thumbnails folder

(@everyone else: the attached file is experimental. Only install it if you're adventurous and if you know why you'd want to install it.)

PS: It makes sense to delete the entire thumbnails directory before checking the results of the replacement
Attached Files
File Type: jar com.mobileread.ixtab.patch.coverview.jar (5.6 KB, 240 views)

Last edited by ixtab; 07-28-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:17 AM   #1478
ams
Enthusiast
ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Thanks a lot, ixtab, the file does exactly what I wanted.

Sorry about the confusion. I'll try to explain more clearly.

I'm assuming the book is marked as EBOK (CDE-type, exth 501 in the metadata) and contains an ASIN (exth 113 in the metaddata) created by Calibre that is not the ASIN of the kindle store.
Calibre does this by default and it does not change the ASIN in exth 113, the ASIN will still be the same if the epub book is edited and re-converted to mobi.

1) FW5.1.2 without the thumbnail fix (the coverview.jar file you posted today): the KT behaves the same way it does with FW5.3.2.1.
What the kindle does is:
a) look for a thumbnail file in systems/thumbnail with the filename thumbnail_ASIN_EBOK_portrait.jpg where ASIN is the ASIN in exth 113 of the book's metadata (a long number like 75b15e2e-a8dc-4e61-b69d-4e3bba884d1d if it was created in Calibre)
b) If there is no thumbnail file with the filename mentioned in a) the kindle will try to connect to Amazon's website to fetch the thumbnail. If the ASIN is not an Amazon ASIN you will end up with a file thumbnail_ASIN_EBOK_portrait.jpg.partial in system/thumbnails and no cover in the cover view. This is what I call the "Amazon thumbnail bug".

What Calibre does to fix Amazon's thumbnail bug is to always sideload the cover thumbnail with the apropriate filename to system/thumbnails along with the ebook. Everything works fine this way.

Note: another way to fix this is to remove the ASIN (exth 113 not set,this can be done in Calibre by checking the "activate sharing" box in the mobi-output screen). Then the kindle will create the thumbnail from the book. However books without ASIN don't work in the export to/import from Calibre part in the Collections Manager and might cause other problems.

2) FW5.1.2 with the coverview.jar of the jbpatch 4.0 distribution
a) azw3 (KF8) files behave the same as in 1)
b) mobi (KF7) files will ignore the sideloaded thumbnail file from Calibre (so it is best to completely disable sending thumbnails in Calibre by patching the device interface plugin which is what I did when using jbpatch 4.0). Instead the kindle will create a thumbnail from the book file and name it thumbnail_xxxxx_EBOK_portrait.jpg. I don't know how the number xxxxx (e.g. 53705) is created, it seems to start with some number and then get increased by 1 everytime a new book is side-loaded. (I think this is the same behaviour as for a book without ASIN in Amazon's default firmware without patch). This number does change if the book-file is re-loaded (doesn't matter whether you re-load with Calibre or just replace the file in the documents folder), i.e. if the book file has been touched, the kindle creates a new thumbnail file with a different filename. As I re-load mobi-files several times while doing edits, I ended up with many duplicate files.

Again, for me the problem is solved with the coverview.jar you posted today, Iwas just trying to remove the confusion (hopefully I have not created even more confusion now )
Old 07-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #1479
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Huh. I thought it was using the sha1 of the absolute path, not a seemingly random increasing int... (Keep in mind that I never really looked at how the Touch FW behaved, and I mostly work with KF8, so thanks for the details ;-)).

EDIT: Yep, found a few thumbnail_<int>.jpg files on my devices. Never bothered to check that the number changed each time the same book was touched .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-28-2013 at 01:42 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:42 AM   #1480
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinekamel View Post
I now have 5.3.7 (I had 5.3.2.1) on my touch with the kindlet patch and even JBPatch 4.0.0 installed fw532)- all went well in the installation, no errors.

None of the patches work, though, so I just thought I would report results.

The log file shows "The font size patch does not support locale "en_US"
also, the margins and hyphenation patches complain about MD5 errors. I can't seem to find where this error log is kept or I could copy amd paste is anyone has interest?
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #1481
leon shu
leon shu began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
multi-dictionary problem

I am a foreign student, and I love the dictionary patch very much.

I have one strange question:
the multi-dictionary work well on most documents.
but!!!! some documents only look up one dictionary.

its very strange!!!
I have tried many methods, like restart, reinstall, etc.
maybe I think it is because of the document..., but I don't know why?
please help me, thanks.

second, I really want the feature, view full definition, like 5.3.5
leon shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #1482
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon shu View Post
I am a foreign student, and I love the dictionary patch very much.

I have one strange question:
the multi-dictionary work well on most documents.
but!!!! some documents only look up one dictionary.

its very strange!!!
I have tried many methods, like restart, reinstall, etc.
maybe I think it is because of the document..., but I don't know why?
please help me, thanks.

second, I really want the feature, view full definition, like 5.3.5
It may be because of the type of document. (Like: Maybe).

Would you take note of the document type(s) that it does not work on and let us know please.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #1483
akira28
Nameless Being

Can't stop Kindle from Updating to latest firmware

Hi ixTab.

I bought a KPW one week ago and thought I was going to return it, that is, until I found out about your JBPatch. So I downgraded the fw to 5.3.1 and installed everything necessary to apply it. Then I upgraded to 5.3.4.

Your patch worked great! I set it up to my liking and was satisfied enough that I was reconsidering returning the Kindle. Unfortunately, there seems to be a problem that I have not yet seen in these forums. I thought perhaps you might be able to help.

The problem is that the Kindle PW firmware is updating itself to the latest 5.3.6, wiping out every patch applied. This has occured 3 times now. I cannot find anything in the settings or on Amazon's Manage Your Device to stop these updates. I can see the firmware file being downloaded when I view the file system and turn on the WIFI. So, I am wondering if there is anything you might suggest?

Thank you.

Last edited by akira28; 08-16-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #1484
ixtab
(offline)

@akira28: BackDoorLock
Old 08-18-2013, 04:56 AM   #1485
ams
Enthusiast

I really like the graphical display of chapter progress in the progress bar patch (KT, FW5.1.2), especially for books with lots of chapters. There is one minor issue with it: when looking up a word in the dictionary and going to 'view full definition', the progress bar display toggles to book progress (the kindle-3 like progress bar) and stays like this when going back to the book. I guess it is because with 'view full definition' the kindle switches to the dictionary book that has no chapters. In case you still update the old patches, could you give it a thought whether there is any easy way to fix this, such that when going back to the book, the progress bar will still be in chapter progress mode? If not, there is of course the % button to change it back manually, so not a big deal.

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks