Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #46
Ehhh
Connoisseur
Ehhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle Touch
gstreamer source code is not closed code. )) it is open source code )
Ehhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #47
Ehhh
Connoisseur
Ehhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the rough

Hi, geekmaster

sorry, i forgot, that glib library is changed on my Kindle Touch. you can try this one .

best regards.

Last edited by Ehhh; 05-10-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Advert
Old 05-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #48
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I am running 5.1.0. What firmware do you have? I want to see this run.
I also have 5.1.0 !!! I don't know why you got those errors! I just ran it now and works like a charm, i.e. I can play avi with audio. I haven't changed much *.so libraries on my device.

Thanks Ehhh.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #49
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehhh View Post
gstreamer is an LGPL licensed library.
The application: einkplayer
Code:
einkplayer $ file einkplayer
einkplayer: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.14, not stripped
Which uses the library is closed source. Please publish.
See:
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/doc...licensing.html
for suggestions.

Last edited by knc1; 05-10-2012 at 02:27 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #50
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@Ehhh: it's not about gstreamer being open or closed source. It's about YOUR code. You're attempting to have people test, and troubleshoot, some black box binary.

This not only makes it more difficult to analyze where problems come from (potentially even finding and reporting complete solutions), but is also considered bad practice by many people here.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #51
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Open source? Open WHERE? Until it is publicly downloadable, it is not open source. Please publish a download link for the source code, so that it will actually be the open source code you say it is. Thanks.

Oh. I see. You qualified that open source claim with "gstreamer"... Does that mean that you will make your media player opens source or not? If not, you can only dynamically load LGPL modules and you will be forbidden to static link it, which will create a huge support headache if you plan to support multiple kindle firmware versions and models...

And when I suggested you switch to dithering, did you use my MIT licensed code? If so, MIT allows you to keep it closed, but that would be bad karma (especially keeping it closed from the person who suggested the dithering upgrade to fix your flicker problem). ???

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-10-2012 at 02:32 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #52
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
@Ehhh: it's not about gstreamer being open or closed source. It's about YOUR code. You're attempting to have people test, and troubleshoot, some black box binary.

This not only makes it more difficult to analyze where problems come from (potentially even finding and reporting complete solutions), but is also considered bad practice by many people here.
True - the author could share the source with other people under an NDA.
Of course, at least in the USA, there has to be a "business relationship" (usually shown by an exchange of money) between the parties to make the NDA enforcable.

Just publishing under an OSI approved license is much easier.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #53
Ehhh
Connoisseur

Thank you... It works fine on my KT too
Old 05-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #54
Ehhh
Connoisseur

I promised everyone here to open code when it will be ready. My first step of demo haven't started yet )) eehhh...
Old 05-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #55
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi, geekmaster

sorry, i forgot, that glib library is changed on my Kindle Touch. you can try this one .

best regards.
I copied your replacement glib library to your plugins folder with your other .so files, but I get the same error messages when I run your script.

I added "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./plugins" to your script (where I copied the extra glib library). Same problems.

Perhaps this will help:

]# ldd einkplayer
/usr/lib/libenvload.so (0x40021000)
libgstreamer-0.10.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgstreamer-0.10.so.0 (0x40034000)
libxml2.so.2 => /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2 (0x400f7000)
libgobject-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0 (0x4020c000)
libgthread-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgthread-2.0.so.0 (0x4024d000)
libgmodule-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0 (0x40259000)
libglib-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0x40263000)
libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0x40354000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x4036c000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4037e000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x40479000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x40495000)
libffi.so.5 => /usr/lib/libffi.so.5 (0x40503000)
librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0x40511000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x4051f000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.3 (0x40000000)

It looks like we are using the built-in /usr/lib/libgstreamer from 5.1.0, despite the LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Hmm...

The screensaver prevention is not working. I guess amazon wants us to see their SO ads sooner...

UPDATE: CRs inserted AFTER downloading, by extracting with 7-zip.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-11-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #56
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I promised everyone here to open code when it will be ready. My first step of demo haven't started yet )) eehhh...
Hmm... Can't even spell his user name.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #57
Ehhh
Connoisseur

glib library should be changed in /usr/lib
Old 05-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #58
geekmaster

Quote:
Look,you do not need to wait until your code is "pretty". That is what AStyle is for (just look at my code -- it works for me but is probably like trying to study the inside of a brick to many people).

At least in my case, it is all laid bare for others to poke at and improve (or take in new unexpectedly delightful ways). I have published old code that I am not proud of (but not ashamed of either because I got my first kindle in November, and I have learned a little about it since then)...
Old 05-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #59
geekmaster

Quote:
glib library should be changed in /usr/lib
Umm... You want me to change my root partition and BREAK stuff? No thanks.

Perhaps your script needs to bind-mount it like I do in my tccmake script to "replace" a lib script that chokes tcc.

UPDATE: I tried the bind-mount. Not good because there is no file to replace in /usr/lib. Then I created a symlink in /usr/lib pointing to the file in the plugins folder. Still not working (same errors) is the ".1" on the end a problem?

What does it really need?

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-10-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #60
Ehhh
Connoisseur

I agree with you. )) i will share eink plugin , but now i see that it will be difficult to support plugins of gstreamer in KT without Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Look,you do not need to wait until your code is "pretty". That is what AStyle is for (just look at my code -- it works for me but is probably like trying to study the inside of a brick to many people).

At least in my case, it is all laid bare for others to poke at and improve (or take in new unexpectedly delightful ways). I have published old code that I am not proud of (but not ashamed of either because I got my first kindle in November, and I have learned a little about it since then)...