Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
cormack12
Daniel_Bale
cormack12 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader PRS305
Want to get rid of default collections and create my own

Been using my Sony Reader quite a while now and to be honest haven't really gone into the organisation features in any sort of depth. This was fine until recently.

Basically my reader became a bit congested and I had issues with formatting of certain titles. So I wiped it and started again. I'm now using the Sony Reader software and buying titles from places like waterstones. Everything is working great with respect to that.

I'm about to buy some more books but relating to work. What I really want to do is separate these. I'm not sure if collections do what I want. But if this is what I need to do is there any way to get rid of all the default ones, searching through non relevant categories/collections is probably just as time consuming as trying to find the book alphabetically.

I'd just like to browse to collections->see technical and then press it and there's the books.

I realise I may need to move to Calibre again but don't want to unless this is possible - also will it affect how I currently buy books, the process seems to be pretty automatic.

Thanks for any advice.
cormack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
PRS+ is your friend. You can hide all the default collection and you can, even, organize them in subcollections (in any level) or you can browse by folders if you like.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
cormack12
Daniel_Bale
cormack12 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader PRS305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
PRS+ is your friend. You can hide all the default collection and you can, even, organize them in subcollections (in any level) or you can browse by folders if you like.
Just been reading about this, looks ideal. Will give it a shot tonight and hopefully my reader will resemble what I want it to!
cormack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Or Calibre to set up your collections based on what YOU want them to be.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But calibre doesn't hide the default collections, neither creates subcollections. BTW, calibre and PRS+ don't exclude themselves.
Advert
Old 03-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It can remove them.

I think there is a some code that can use subcollections. I am trying to track it down, or get it added to Calibre.

And I am aware of that, I use both.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
It can remove them.
Nope, pretty sure Calibre can't remove the pre-defined collections. Even PRS+ doesn't remove them. It just hides them.

Quote:
I think there is a some code that can use subcollections. I am trying to track it down, or get it added to Calibre.

And I am aware of that, I use both.
Subcollections is a feature of PRS+. It's not natively supported by the default Sony firmware. If you don't have PRS+ installed, you can't get subcollections on the Sony readers. Any mention of subcollections you might have seen in the Calibre forum is in reference to PRS+. I should know. Most of those posts are probably mine.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
Pinecone
Guru

What default collections are you talking about then? I haven't paid any attention to them then.

Yes, I know about PRS+ and subcollections. There was a post in the Calibre section about someone getting help to have Calibre support them. It seems there was a way with some add in code.

I am hoping that someone will re-write the Sony plug in or write a new one for PRS+ to beter support subcollections.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What default collections are you talking about then? I haven't paid any attention to them then.
About the collections I guest the first messaged asked for: New Books, Purchased Books and Periodicals, that can be hidden with PRS+ (Calibre do nothing with them).

Quote:
Yes, I know about PRS+ and subcollections. There was a post in the Calibre section about someone getting help to have Calibre support them. It seems there was a way with some add in code.

I am hoping that someone will re-write the Sony plug in or write a new one for PRS+ to beter support subcollections.
It's no complicated: There's a specific character to "divide" collections in subcollections. If your collections come from calibre with that character, they are automatically shown as subcollections. There's no need to touch the plugin, I know it because I manage my collections in that way.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
It's no complicated: There's a specific character to "divide" collections in subcollections. If your collections come from calibre with that character, they are automatically shown as subcollections. There's no need to touch the plugin, I know it because I manage my collections in that way.
Exactly. And PRS+ has been updated to support the '.' (dot) separator so the format that Calibre uses natively for subgroups is supported. If it's in hierarchical categories in Calibre, then it can appear as subcollections in PRS+.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote