Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 07-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
aghribi
aghribi began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox m92, jetbook color, pocketbook pro 912
Ectaco Jetbook Color most wanted features

Hello All,

I just wanted to make a survey about the most wanted features for future firmware developments of the Ectaco Jetbook Color. Once I have a list of features, I will put it in a poll to see how many persons are interested and communicate it to Ectaco. Communicating with them, they told me that they put the necessary effort to develop a feature depending on the number of requests.

I will try to update this first post with the list of features that you provide

On 07/11/2012, the list of features I have are:

- page crop
- ms office document compatibility
- color invert (black background and white text)
- custom zoom
- server folder synchronization (drop box or other)
- merge annotations in a single pdf
- text bolding
- Arabic font support
- Web browser
- native double column reading for pdf (goes down when the page is turned and then goes up and right)
- different colors for annotating
- ical calendar support (useful also for schools)
- Note taking in epub
- possibility to open menu when zoomed for pdf
- CBR/CBZ, .HLP/CHM, ODT, DJVU support
- TTS improvement on reading full pages or books (remove long pauses between sentences; TTS works ok on selected text, even multiple sentences, but takes too long on non-selected text: eg: full page or book read)
- Graphical calculator with at least 2 variables
- OGG/WMV/aac audio support
- PDF landscape reading for 2 pages
- Image browser (there's just a file browser, but if images are unpacked in a directory, the slideshow function does not really work).
- Long press buttons: 'back' going to main menu or 'home' screen, canceling or breaking current activity (like a soft reset button, or a CTRL+ALT+DEL on windows), 'Menu' going to options instead of recording audio, 'ok' record audio, Left/right: 10 pages back/ahead; Up/Dn: 5 pages back/ahead.
- Within image viewer: by default center zoom,and stretch/shrink image to fit screen. Give option to stretch/shrink without keeping aspect ratio (good for scanned documents with text).
- Improve the GUI (menu structure) in books (use icons instead of large text menu's).
- Improve menu structure to get faster where the user wants to be.
- Loading the library takes too long when there are files on the SD card.
- When using the scribble pen, to scribble on the page, a full page refresh is necessary when skipping to a new page. As the pen uses a brownish red, not black, as a base color, so it has ghosting.
- Use black as base color for the scribble.
- Increase memory for scribble, device ceases to operate after writing 2 sentences on the screen.
- Change tapping behavior with the stylus: Center tap the screen=refresh page, tap on top= menu bar(displays TTS, pen style (drawing/selecting/erasing), dictionary..), tap bottom = in book menu(chapter, bookmarks, history), tap left and right= previous and next page.
- Graphical driver update to display colors more vibrantly
- OS sometimes tend to get stuck (and the blue led remains on). This causes battery depletion.
- Connection issues with connecting the device to a PC, sometimes the device is not recognized,and a hard reset is necessary.
- PDF zoom in on the center, not on the top left. Enable panning with stylus.
- Display images or PDF documents in the center, not on the left side. If they are made for widescreen resolutions (16/9 or 16/10) the image has a wide margin on the right. It will look nicer when the right margin would be symmetric with the left margin.

ps: many of these points are taken from suggestions in different threads so don't hesitate to comment on them or to let me know if some have already been implemented in a previous firmware update.

Best,

Last edited by aghribi; 07-11-2012 at 01:07 PM.
aghribi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:07 AM   #2
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
- For PDF: Zoom for column mode and half-page mode (like the ones of newest Sony Readers PRS-650 and PRS-T1)
- For PDF: The possibility to open the menu even when you zoomed
- Desaturize a single page (sometime when show a single page with light color is best to convert the view in B/W to increase the effective resolution and contrast)
- Note-taking also in ePub (it can be done placing a sort of icon clip placed into the text that open the note)
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 03:40 AM   #3
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
+1 for the web browser they sold the device as having.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I like the idea of night mode (black background, white text)!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
X read X
Banned
X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook, iPhone 4, Jetbook Color.
my vote on the inverted reading colors, annotations in ePub and improved menu navigation!
X read X is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I found the list of new features on Ectaco website here

What's New in ECTACO® jetBook® COLOR
The novelties introduced in this version of ECTACO® jetBook® COLOR software are the result of the efforts we have made working with suggestions and comments by those who used the previous versions. So we made the device even more ergonomic, adding new features and improving a series of interface items.

• You can quickly lock the keyboard to avoid inadvertent key presses when carrying the device.
• Turning Wi-Fi on/off is performed just by sliding a switch on the device case.
• The "Internet Library" subsection was added so that you can access digital libraries.
• The ebook reader interface was enhanced to better suit your needs. To select a single word, for example, just hold the stylus down on it for a second.
• A series of menu items now may be activated by voice commands.
• Support for screen rotation (portrait & landscape modes) – the "Rotate Screen" function.
• The drawing mode was enriched by the addition of the "Clear Page" and "Clear all Pages" functions that allow you to delete all drawings from the current page or from the entre book, respectively.
• Quick navigation to the list of books you recently viewed with the ability to open any of them.
• Now you can turn on or off an audible click you hear when you tap the device screen or press a key. The functions are configured independently.
• The number of interface languages was increased to 14.
• When the device is turned off, a fine-looking screensaver is displayed.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:20 AM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is that upgrade available?
Last update was from April, as far as I know...
Old 07-13-2012, 03:44 AM   #8
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I found the list of new features on Ectaco website here

What's New in ECTACO® jetBook® COLOR
What about downloading via atompub?
Why improve wifi if I cannot use it in JBC?

EDIT: I suppose Atompub download is this feature:
Quote:
The "Internet Library" subsection was added so that you can access digital libraries

Last edited by mod186k1; 07-13-2012 at 03:57 AM.
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:20 AM   #9
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Atompub, may not be the same as atom (from RSS).
It may have a same part of the name in it, but it does not mean that it's therefor a form of RSS.
If so, it would need a browser.

What would make sense is that it can load a specific atom feed, from a fixed address; to download perhaps books from a library on an ebook server.
Anything that has RSS can be hacked very easily to load almost the whole internet!
Eventhough the JBC can load HTMLs, they don't function fully (links don't work, flash and java don't work).
Old 07-14-2012, 02:14 AM   #10
aghribi
aghribi began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox m92, jetbook color, pocketbook pro 912
Many of the web and network developments are on hold due to the contracts with the department of defense. Main issues are related the high security level that is required for defense applications. I think we will have to wait a little bit before this release.
aghribi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I did install the newest update. The landscape mode works but not very good. The PDF support is still lacking. There is no way to size the document in landscape mode to fit it right (like 'fit by width). I got a lot of pdfs with pictures where the JetBook Color is just stumbling over it.

The usability hasn't gotten better. Hello JetBook Color programmers: Can't be too difficult to make a product usable? Just think what would be good usability in that case.

E.g.

- Whats with the menu scrolling? Why do I always have to scroll to get the options (at the beginning I even didn't know there were more options on the bottom.
- No default size. In almost every ebook I have to set the Zooming to a new level. Hell, why aren't there default values I can set up?
- Check out the Kindle DX landscape mode. It's far from perfect but in view of the usability it's not bad

The JetBook Color is a fine device with good hardware but the usability is worse. And the programmers obvioulsy aren't thinking to change anything. What a shame!
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #12
ProDigit
Karmaniac

making the menu so you won't need scrolling is very easy,
simply reduce the font size in the menu, and make the tables smaller.
Should be a 5-10 minute programming job!
Old 08-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #13
mexmike
mexmike began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Color
Ectaco claim there are security issues regarding the web browser. This can easily be avoided by providing the firmware and web browser only to clients requesting this facility like sumeiwang, myself and many others, much the same way ectaco provide different language firmware for download. If required, ectaco could provide a login that would only give access to specific users.
The institutions concerned about security do not have to upgrade their jetbooks. Security issues can easily be checked by institutions simply verifying firware/software revision level installed on their jetbooks.
Basically I’m saying that there is no excuse for advertising a product under false pretenses, or making lame excuses for not providing the product as advertised on the propaganda. If you advertise sugar for sale, provide sugar not salt, otherwise you are breaking the law. This is what ectaco have done. Under normal circumstances the office of fair trading or call it what you will depending on country would have found against ectaco in every case and a full refund would have been awarded to the plaintiff, along with a heavy fine for the offending company.
Ectaco are obviously content with losing many future sales with returning clients and settling for the once off purchase.
mexmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #14
freewheeling
Nameless Being

The wish list is much too long. Only two things do I consider absolutely necessary:

1. The ability to annotate and take actual text notes in eBook formats, not just the crummy drawings in PDF.

That's the absolutely necessary one that isn't there. The notion that they're targeting the academic market without the ability to annotate is mind boggling.

2. Hypertext in all eBook formats. You can't click on endnotes in ePub books. What use is an eReader to academia that can't do that? Zero.

I really had no idea the device would be so fundamentally limited. They could make lots of other improvements but I can live without those. I simply have no use for a device that can't do the two things above. None.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #15
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I don't need extra features and use my jetBook Color to read pdf and epub books without any problems.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote