Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
Wordeater
Connoisseur
Wordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Sony PRS-650
Free books from Amazon??

Earlier this week I discovered some new books (to me anyway) that ended up on my Sony. Initially I figured they must have come from Sony, perhaps as 'freebies' for buying the 650.
I then found them in Calibre last night and upon checking, in 'My Kindle' content folder. (downloads on my Mac)
Now I figure they they've come from Amazon. They all show 15/03/2010 all around 9 p.m. That pretty much coincides with my time messing around in Calibre the other night playing with fonts in Extra CSS.
The books are Aesop's Fables, Treasure Island and Pride and Prejudice.
Does this sound right? Are free books something I can expect occasionally?

WE
Wordeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:01 AM   #2
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Amazon has free books all the time (thousands, if you want classics like those three). Try looking at the sticky "bargains and free books" thread at the top of this forum (or try my blog). They don't show up automatically - you have to click to buy (at no cost) when they are free (which is often a very limited time).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2011, 12:24 AM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordeater View Post
The books are Aesop's Fables, Treasure Island and Pride and Prejudice.
Amazon added those three particular books to everyone's accounts, I think. They showed up for both my regular and auxiliary when I synced my K4Mac app.

Perhaps they're trying to entice new users by putting a few freebies in to try out for new installs, the way B&N do by automatically giving you three of their B&N Classics titles when you signup.

I don't imagine Amazon would do it on a regular basis, though. Likely a one-time promotional setup thing.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:01 AM   #4
Wordeater
Connoisseur
Wordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Sony PRS-650
Thanks ATDrake

So I wasn't the only one. These just showed up; no request from me to have them. I will never read any of 'em......just not my thing. Just surprised that's all. I recall having to read TI in school though.....waaay back when.

Thanks.

WE
Wordeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Must be only new accounts or new app installs - not one of the three is in my K library.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
I got those when I installed the Kindle app on my iPhone a few week ago. Just free giveaways for using the Kindle app.

-HM
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I also got a few books for free when I downloaded both the Kindle for iPhone and kindle for PC apps. I do not remember if there were any free books on my Kindle 3.

Last edited by Nyssa; 03-19-2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Typos - of course!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
Gort
Enthusiast
Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I've got Pride and Prejudice for free, but I deliberately went and got it from the Kindle Store. The other two I haven't got on my Kindle. I don't have any Kindle apps stored on my PC or elsewhere, though.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:49 PM   #9
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I believe the books are only included with the Kindle apps (not on any Kindle itself). They will be permanently deleted if removed from the app; they won't be stored in the archive. Not a big deal, of course, since they're free, and can easily be downloaded again.

-HM
Old 03-20-2011, 07:52 AM   #10
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
They arrived in my kindle for android app yesterday when I signed in (my android being my colour nook that is rooted)
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #11
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

not sure I actually like that idea. Are they just pushing the title to our archives or the whole book to the device running K4PC? I mean what if someone is in a really awful coverage area and NEEDS to get something else done with K4PC before the d/l's. I mean not a huge deal as the files are not that big but sometimes it's nice to not have a company screw with your device.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #12
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
On the 15th I got The New Oxford American Dictionary on my Android Kindle App for my Droid X. I didn't see it until the 18th. I checked my Kindle account to figure out how I 'accidentally' downloaded this, but there was no record and no charge. I've had the Android Kindle App since it was released.
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #13
Hollow Man
Addict

The dictionary comes with the app as well, but unlike the books mentioned above, it will show in your archive. But if you go crazy and delete it from your archive/Amazon account, there's no easy way to get it back.

-HM