Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
paulnic7
paulnic7 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
transfering ebooks from pc to android device

Please help me!!!!!
I have a Sansung Galaxy Tab and am trying to copy ebooks from my pc to my tab. I have tried dropbox which tramsfer them but I am unable to open then tab states no viewer and give the option to download one , I down load but nothing still unable to open the books. I am a complete novice with regards to computing so please use simply language for dummies thanks.
paulnic7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
I don't have a Galaxy, but what works for a lot of people who use the Asus Transformer, another Android device is to simply use Windows Explorer. Connect your device to your PC using a usb cable. Open the device in Windows Explorer (A box should pop up when you connect it. You want to open the file.) Then use another window of Windows Explorer to find your books. Drag the books from where they are to where you want them to be. Use copy so you will still have them on your PC. That should about do it! We all started out as dummies; don't feel bad about asking questions or for clarification.
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
That's what I do with my Xoom. Connect by usb and drag and drop. Now the issue comes depending on what book reader you are using. Some require the books to be in a certain directory or to be 'imported' to their own library.
What ebook reader app are you using?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
Yes, it sounds like you may not have the correct reader installed on your tablet to open the ebooks. There is a sticky in this forum that looks at the different Android apps for reading ebooks.

Which Galaxy Tab do you have? I would recommend starting with Aldiko if you have the small 7 inch one that has Android 2.2 or 2.3. But if you have a honeycomb tablet(pretty much any new 10 inch tablet with have 3.0 or 3.1 aka honeycomb), then Aldiko is a bit buggy and you may want to go for Moon+. You can also get the reader associated with whichever store you bought the books from. For example, the Nook App or the Kindle App.

If you already have a ereader installed, it may not be able to read the specific file type your ebooks are. It should tell you in the description which file types the reader can read.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmavisO View Post
...Open the device in Windows Explorer (A box should pop up when you connect it. You want to open the file.) Then use another window of Windows Explorer to find your books. Drag the books from where they are to where you want them to be. ...
For calibre users, the task of finding the books on the PC becomes vastly easier if you first use calibre's "Save to Disk" option to copy the desired books out of the calibre library and collect them in a single folder.

If you set the preference for file type correctly, this function will default to copying only the preferred format. You then have only one folder to look for (I keep mine as a folder on the Desktop for easy access) and it will contain only the file you want to move to your device. Since these files are copies of the files in your library, using the Windows "Move" function (right-button drag and select "move" from the resulting menu) will automatically delete them from the PC's folder so that next time you have a new clean set without the previous batch.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I use the free Microsoft "SyncToy" to "pair" my master library folder on my PC with the
media for my reading devices. I have it set so that any changes to folder on my PC
will also be made to the media (SD cards and MicroSD cards), when I insert the the
media and "run" SyncToy. I just made a "MicroSD" pair for my Eee Pad Transformer
and while it took awhile for the program to create the 47 folders and copy over the
~6500 files/ebooks of the library (long enough to make some toast and pour a cup of
coffee), it only took me a few minutes to create the "Pair" and preview the operation
before clicking "Run".

I obtain my ebooks on my PC, (not using the devices wifi) as I can disinfect them there
and use Calibre to convert them, if needed or preferred. I have all the speed and file
management capabilities of my PC to maintain the Master Library Folder.

It only takes a short time (<10 minutes usually) to buy a book online, download it,
disinfect it, run it through Calibre, Drag & Drop the ebook into its proper folder in the
Master Library folder. Then whenever I get around to updating my media card I just
pop it in my PC's media reader and run SyncToy, so that the changes I made to the
Master Library Folder are also made to the media. It usually is only a matter of a couple
of minutes.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 09-12-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
That's basically my method as well Ken, but I don't use the SyncToy. I have a comparison application - Beyond Compare that I use to sync and back up.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:42 AM   #8
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
I just got a Galaxy Tab, also. Is there a way to copy directly from Calibre? I tried to use the "Connect To Folder" function in Calibre, but even when I specify the ebook folder on the tablet (which I can see okay), Calibre doesn't connect to it.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
I use Dropbox to get ebooks from my computer / calibre to my Nook Color and Android phone (thunderbolt). I use FBReader to read the books on both of my devices, and FBSync to keep them synced. The great thing about FBReader is I can set it to look for ebooks in my dropbox directory on the tablet/phone, and then I don't have to do anything else in FBReader to get the books to show up.

I have set my Calibre library folder to be inside of my PC's Dropbox folder. I have about 750mb of ebooks, and when I add a new ebook in calibre it automatically gets sent to the dropbox "cloud".

On my tablet, I download an ebook using the "dropbox" app. Then I open FBReader. The first time I ran FBReader, I went to "Menu/More/Settings/Directories" and change the books directory to "/mnt/sdcard/dropbox/Calibre Library". This sets FBReader to use its default library folder as the Calibre folder that is created by Dropbox.

Now whenever I use calibre - it puts the ebook into my Calibre Library folder. I then go to the phone/tablet and use the dropbox app to download the ebook (hold your finger down on the .epub file and select download). Then I run FBReader and my book is in the library. Note that FBReader by default opens the last book read, rather then the library view because 99% of the time you open the app, you want to just continue reading, rather than switching ebooks.

If you don't have a dropbox account, GET ONE! They are FREE!
you can even use this http://db.tt/kWGQPtl to get one (and give me a few extra MB's of storage!)

Last edited by jasoraso; 09-19-2011 at 01:31 PM.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #10
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
I'm already using Dropbox to sync my Calibre library between two computers. But I haven't installed DB on the tablet yet. Are you saying that DB on Android lets you selectively download books, rather than just keeping the whole library synced?
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
I'm already using Dropbox to sync my Calibre library between two computers. But I haven't installed DB on the tablet yet. Are you saying that DB on Android lets you selectively download books, rather than just keeping the whole library synced?
Both. For auto syncing Dropbox for mobile devices syncs a specific folder under /sdcard/Dropbox. Anything you place in that folder on your mobile device and Dropbox account will be synced.

However you can upload/download specific files to your dropbox cloud storage from any folder on your Android device. Likewise you can dowload any file from your dropbox cloud to any folder on your drobox account.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote