Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
kimberlymavs
Edge User

Google Calendar / Tasks

I'm a big google calendar and tasks user and I have an android phone, so I use the apps/Widgets a lot for scheduling. I have tried several apps for android on my eDGe and nohing seems to work. I think the problem is that android phones come with google synching already built-in and the apps are built to use that. Has anyone found a way to fix this? Or maybe an app that synchs on its own? I'm not extremely tech savvy so I may be missing something really simple. Thanks!

Old 09-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
sarah11918
Edge User

I'm interested in figuring this out, too. Figuring out Google Calendar is one of the big tasks on my list because even the website won't work properly on the edge. Joe and I share like a bazillion calendars all in GC to keep us organized. Looking forward to answers, and I'm going to play around and see what I can come up with in the next few days.

Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Executive assistant works with Google Calendar. There is a get from Google if your device does not have the native calendar app check-box in settings.

Last edited by cheyennedonna; 09-02-2010 at 10:45 AM.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
sarah11918
Edge User

Thanks for the suggestion. Downloading it now. I'd seen it before but didn't think I wanted something so "busy" (all-encompassing), but I think I'll try it and see how I like it.

FYI, it claims to be available both from the AndApp store and SlideMe. I'm downloading from AndApp.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
Snepscheut
Edge User

Hello Cheyennedonna, Sarah11918.

I'v installed this app to, it does a great job getting the data from a google calendar and showing it in a widget. But I have not found a way to add new data to the calendar.
In the settings you can fill in a preferred calendar app but unfortunately this does not seem to work with the new calendar app on the eDGe.

Maybe our community dev's can add this functionality to the new calendar?

Greetings,

Jos.

Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
sarah11918
Edge User

So I was just playing around, and now (for the first time) everytime I go to google in the browser, I get the mobile calendar site which actually works every time I try it. I've tried a few times in the LastPass browser and just tried once in the regular browser. So, assuming those aren't flukes (I know the mobile version of gMail in the browser isn't reliable, but works if I switch to desktop) then i was able to go to "add event" in mobile GCal from the browser.

Is the browser version now working for others, too? (I'm no longer getting the message that GC is unsupported, but I can try to open an unstable version of the site.)

Old 09-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Yes, I have been able to add an event that way since the update. So now executive reads my appointments for me and I can add if needed, with the browser. I set mine to only check every 8 hours, and no widget, I just open and check at the beginning of my day.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snepscheut View Post
Hello Cheyennedonna, Sarah11918.

I'v installed this app to, it does a great job getting the data from a google calendar and showing it in a widget. But I have not found a way to add new data to the calendar.
In the settings you can fill in a preferred calendar app but unfortunately this does not seem to work with the new calendar app on the eDGe.

Maybe our community dev's can add this functionality to the new calendar?

Greetings,

Jos.
It launches the default (new) calendar for me, make sure and choose it in settings.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
kimberlymavs
Edge User

Thank you! Executive Assistant looks like it's going to work great for my calendar. I might even start using it on my android phone! the one thing I haven't figured out are the Google Tasks - they don't seem to show up - they are not technically a calendar, although they do work along with it. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 09-02-2010, 05:37 PM   #10
Snepscheut
Edge User

cheyennedonna,

You're right, it opens. But it doesn't takeover any data nor can you add data to the Google calendar by it.

So new calendar is cool but only functional as stand alone. It could be so much better if it could sync with Google or outlook.

Jos

Old 09-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #11
alefor
Edge User

A calendar that can't sync is hardly useful for me.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #12
sarah11918
Edge User

I agree with alefor. So, I think my strategy will be to use Executive Assistant to see a few days of synched GC activities at a glance, GC website for adding/editing entries and the built in calendar to replace one of my journals which was a kind of handwritten inventory for the day (phone calls with the bank I wanted to remember etc.) Without synchronization, I can't really use it with GC, but it does make a great handwritten journal.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:37 PM   #13
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlymavs View Post
Thank you! Executive Assistant looks like it's going to work great for my calendar. I might even start using it on my android phone! the one thing I haven't figured out are the Google Tasks - they don't seem to show up - they are not technically a calendar, although they do work along with it. Anyone have any ideas?
The only thing I can suggest for tasks is to use Remember the Milk synced with Astrid. Remember the Milk has a sidebar widget in Gmail, so you can add tasks and Astrid is more full featured than Google tasks anyway. But it would be nice if we could sync with Google Calender and tasks. I also use Reqall, which can be added to with Google talk and sends SMS and/or emails with reminders.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:19 AM   #14
fibrou
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
I agree with alefor. So, I think my strategy will be to use Executive Assistant to see a few days of synched GC activities at a glance, GC website for adding/editing entries and the built in calendar to replace one of my journals which was a kind of handwritten inventory for the day (phone calls with the bank I wanted to remember etc.) Without synchronization, I can't really use it with GC, but it does make a great handwritten journal.
I'm agreeing with alefor and sarah11918 on this one. Although I like the look of the calendar app, and I can see some potential for note taking and journal-ing, the inability to sync to GC is not working for me. It's simply easier to have my android phone's calendar app (MyTouch 3G Slide) open next to the eDGe to view calendar. Having to use EA, then GC website, then EA somewhat defeats the purpose for me.

With luck, the 2.2 update will have a GC "syncable" calendar app. Crossing fingers...

Old 11-24-2010, 12:04 PM   #15
srw262
Edge User

Just received my Pocket Edge and am trying to get Google Calendar to work - any updates to this thread since September?