Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > BBeB/LRF Books (offline)

Notices

Old 08-21-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Eliot, T S: The Waste Land, v1, 21 Aug 2007

T S Eliot, The Waste Land, (1922)

One of the most significant poems of the twentieth century. For me, this is a poem about how redemption is possible in an alienating world.

I’ve hyperlinked to Eliot’s notes and added one of my own, plus a picture. I didn’t think that a TOC was necessary, though there is one on the reader.

A PROBLEM
I’ve long wanted to do this poem, which is very meaningful to me, but some lines absolutely must be indented, and I couldn’t get BD to do this. (Some of you may have noticed my plaintive requests for indenting advice.)
A SOLUTION
I had a small revelation this morning, when I realised that I could configure the subtitles so that they were exactly the same font and size as the paragraph text, whilst leaving them centred. With a bit of jiggling, the result is fairly satisfactory. (Fiddle with the settings after you’ve clicked ‘Make sony reader book’.)
Ideally, I would have liked both indents and right justification, but just indents is (just about) acceptable with this poem. And I didn't mind sacrificing the subtitles.

It occurs to me that the person who elsewhere wanted hanging indents might experiment with aligning the subtitles to the right and setting the same font and size as the paragraph text.

I’m going to upload the BD file as well as the lrf version, for several reasons:
1. The curious might like to see what I did.
2. The clever may want to suggest improvements.
3. Some people may prefer a less cluttered text and want to remove the links.
4. And it can be converted to other formats.

The first attachment is the lrf file. The second is a zipped BD file.

Last edited by Patricia; 04-05-2008 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Moved to US server.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:40 PM   #2
megacoupe
Connoisseur
megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thank you very much for this; I read this for a Lit Crit class about 2 years ago and I've loved it ever since (along with Eliot's Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock).

I've only messed around with Book Designer a little bit, but I can imagine how difficult this was for you to put together, particularly because it's in verse.

Your hard work is very much appreciated.
megacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2007, 09:32 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Here's a much better formatted version using html2lrf. I didn't have time to finish the notes.
html2lrf command line
[code]
html2lrf wasteland.html --disable-autorotation --serif-family "., Alkaios"
[code]

Last edited by Patricia; 04-05-2008 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Moved to US server.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:59 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Yes, it is mostly much better formatted, though the indents for the rhine-maidens' songs have vanished; also all the indents in section 4.
Thanks.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote