Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
BarryR
Connoisseur
BarryR doesn't litterBarryR doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
I'd like to turn off email notifications on rooted color nook.

First of all thanks for all the great info on this forum. Rooted my color nook yesterday and loving it.

I turned off email notifications (in both gmail and email apps) but the email app Notification setting keeps putting itself back to checked (on). I don't want these notifications as they're distracting. So I just set the app to refresh "never".

Can I turn the notifications off permanently?
Can I delete or disable the email app or the account settings?
What's the difference between the email app and the gmail app? (I'm guessing the former can be used for any compatible account and the latter only for gmail).
BarryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
BarryR
Connoisseur

I ended up having to re-root and this time I didn't set up the email app, just the gmail one. I turned off notifications on that one and no longer have any problem.
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Thanks for the update.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Barry, I personally find the default mail client horrible for the android platform. I don't understand why they've not work on creating a nice app.... actually maybe the want everybody to user gmail, but that app is bad too.

I've installed K-9 and that app is a very nice mail client. It has the ability to turn off notification as one of the many configurable items. You might want to look into this app if you wish to read email from a different email account.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:39 PM   #5
BarryR
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Barry, I personally find the default mail client horrible for the android platform. I don't understand why they've not work on creating a nice app.... actually maybe the want everybody to user gmail, but that app is bad too.

I've installed K-9 and that app is a very nice mail client. It has the ability to turn off notification as one of the many configurable items. You might want to look into this app if you wish to read email from a different email account.
I don't see k-9 in the Android Market. Should it be there? Who's the developer.
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Search for "K9 Mail" or "K-9 Mail"

hit the dog icon (beating is frowned on) and it will take you the the Market page

Here is the Appbrain QCode

=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
jandjmobile2
jandjmobile2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Red face How Can I set up a gmail account on our new Nook Color Books

[New to this group as of today. My fiance' and I got Nook Color Readers for Christmas. I would like to set up gmail accounts on them and would appreciate step by step instructions.

Thanks
JandJ

QUOTE=BarryR;1321009]First of all thanks for all the great info on this forum. Rooted my color nook yesterday and loving it.

I turned off email notifications (in both gmail and email apps) but the email app Notification setting keeps putting itself back to checked (on). I don't want these notifications as they're distracting. So I just set the app to refresh "never".

Can I turn the notifications off permanently?
Can I delete or disable the email app or the account settings?
What's the difference between the email app and the gmail app? (I'm guessing the former can be used for any compatible account and the latter only for gmail).[/QUOTE]
jandjmobile2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandjmobile2 View Post
[New to this group as of today. My fiance' and I got Nook Color Readers for Christmas. I would like to set up gmail accounts on them and would appreciate step by step instructions.

Thanks
JandJ
Hi,

Are your NOOKcolors rooted?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote