Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
ebookrights
Banned
ebookrights began at the beginning.

Device: none
7" Android Tablet...?

I'm almost settled on using Amazon's Kindle platform, for now. But would prefer getting an Android tablet and use the Kindle for Android app instead. I think it would be a better investment down the road.

I don't think I'll be getting a 3G model, just Wi-Fi.

So, besides Galaxy Tab, whose Wi-Fi only version is delayed into next year. What options are out there? I know there are some Chinese-made low-end models, which are still running Android 2.1 and lack good support. Should I wait for a few more months?

P.S. One thing I treasure is good support (fixes, updates), or an active community with custom ROM support.

P.P.S. The Nook Color looks good as well, but it doesn't run a "true" Android system.

Last edited by ebookrights; 12-12-2010 at 10:09 AM.
ebookrights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
The PocketBook IQ is a contender. Active community here on MobileRead. 2 year warrantee. $US149.

Runs Android 2.0, with expectations of 2.2 in January.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Looks like Q1 2011 is going to see a rash of new Android tablets, if you can wait. I couldn't so I have a Nook Color on the way, which I plan on rooting. I figure between Nookdevs and xda-developers the tech support is about as good as it's going to get.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
Pocketbook IQ runs Android including the Kindle app. It's brand new, just released a few weeks ago, and is still experiencing growing pains. But it does have good support including several company reps or vendors who post here in the Pocketbook forum. There was a new firmware update released Friday that fixed a lot of things, and it's starting to look pretty good. There is a wiki here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Pocketbook_IQ_701 about it.
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
wheatfree
wheatfree doesn't litterwheatfree doesn't litter

Device: Pandigital Novel
Quote:
Originally Posted by asjogren View Post
The PocketBook IQ is a contender. Active community here on MobileRead. 2 year warrantee. $US149.

Runs Android 2.0, with expectations of 2.2 in January.
I'm waiting to see if they actually release that update. Those of us with the Pandigital Novels heard the same thing. Velocity Micro said the same thing about the Cruz readers. If I understand this correctly, that IQ is just a Novel with hardware buttons. I'd love to get my hands on a 2.2 release for the IQ to see if we can take it apart and put it back together for the Novel.

So far, none of these companies have released the source code for any of their tablets, as they're required to do by Android's Gnu Public License. I don't have a lot of hope for either 2.2 or the source at this point. Maybe Pocketbook will the exception to the rule here. I'd buy one for that alone.
wheatfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 12:55 AM   #6
ebookrights
Banned

Just took a short trip to the town center. Checked out the Dell Streak 5. Looks nice too. But I suppose a 7" device is still a (overall) better device.

Gotta wait for a few months and see how it goes. Meanwhile, will stick with Kindle for PC and Android (use on phone).

Like I said above, good support (not 1-year delay for firmware update) or custom ROM is a major factor in my consideration. If I just want something cheap I could pick up a Chinese 2.1 tablet for <US$100. No need to be particularly fast (e.g. dual core) but an up-to-date platform is also highly desirable (e.g. 1GHz, 512MB RAM).
Old 12-13-2010, 04:03 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Anyone come across the soon-to-be-released Indian Adam yet? http://www.notionink.in/index.php. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:17 AM   #8
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
The white Pandigital Novel ereader can be modified into a full Android tablet. It becomes a poor man's iPad. I paid $139 for mine.

See threads here in the Android forum and on SlateDroid.com.

Last edited by Xanthe; 12-14-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:33 AM   #9
wheatfree

Most of those no-name chinese tablets have crappy battery life. My novel will run about 5-6 hours with the wifi off, and I have an external battery pack for it that doubles that. I wouldn't buy anything I had to charge more frequently than this. It's frustrating enough that on days like yesterday when I spent the day trying out all the different firmwares available on slatedroid for the PDN, I had to recharge it twice. But for the record that 2.2 is FAST--FASTFAST. It's just not ready for primetime yet.

For a cheap android tablet with fairly good support on slatedroid, the Pandigital Novel is still it for me. $100 give or take with rebates and sales. You can buy it at places with very liberal return policies, and the different firmwares on slatedroid mean you can cut yourself on the bleeding edge of what it will run or take a more conservative approach.

I'm back running the Cruz UI firmware. I just like it, and everything works. I tried to live without the market yesterday, but even with all the other places to get apk files, I got frustrated by specific things I couldn't find elsewhere.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
ebookrights
Banned

It's reported that the Nook Color will see 2.2 (Froyo) and Android Market officially in January.

http://www.androidcentral.com/nook-c...cially-january

That makes it an attractive model.

Speaking of custom ROMs. The Galaxy Tab is now Clockwork Recovered...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...77#post9770377

Last edited by ebookrights; 12-14-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #11
ebookrights
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatfree View Post
...It's frustrating enough that on days like yesterday when I spent the day trying out all the different firmwares available on slatedroid for the PDN, I had to recharge it twice...
Thanks for introducing slatedroid.com and the Pandigital Novel. However, 128MB RAM...? I'll take a pass and wait...
Old 12-14-2010, 12:40 PM   #12
wheatfree

The black one has 128. The white one has 256. I have a white one.

The nook color has twice the RAM of mine, but it's also twice the price. If they do actually release 2.2 with full market access, it might make it worth it though. We'll see.

Last edited by wheatfree; 12-14-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:16 AM   #13
kwarner84
kwarner84 began at the beginning.

Device: cruz reader
I just got a Cruz reader and its great for the most part but i am having one problem. I can't watch movies. When I try to play something I have downloaded it just plays the sound and a blank screen. i don't know what i am doing wrong. I downloaded skyfire so I can watch youtube videos and other but when i try to play anything that i already have on my cruz it doesn't work. Any ideas???? anyone???
kwarner84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #14
ebookrights
Banned

I'm very leaning towards a Nook Color now, for USD250 with a high-res and capacitive screen and Froyo and Android Market coming AND an active XDA community.

Too bad it's not being sold to oversea customers yet.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #15
ebookrights
Banned

Creative ZiiO, USD250.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/17/c...-sale-for-270/