Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
ezzkmo
igloo appraiser
ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Keyboard
Paperwhite 2 Indexing

Well the old search for gibberish to see how many books are still indexing trick doesn't work anymore. It just says no results found. And I know my PW2 has to be indexing because I just transferred about 50 books to it right before I did a search to check.

Any other way to see what it's indexing, if anything?
ezzkmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I was just going to post the same question.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
ezzkmo
igloo appraiser
ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Solved! Stumbled across the answer at the Amazon forum.

Pineapple said, "It still works, but you have to change your search parameter from "My Items" to "All Text". There is a dropdown for the choice."

And I have just learned my PW2 is still indexing 277 items...better leave this sucker plugged in tonight
Old 10-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #4
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Oh thank goodness. Karma for you.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:56 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's a very good idea to load books in small batches (say 20 at a time) and wait for each batch to finish indexing before loading the next. Less chance of problems that way.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:00 AM   #6
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
Can the indexing be disabled or tricked some way to skip books? I'm getting mine tomorrow (hopefully without fancy colors on the screen), but waiting that long for indexing... my old PRS-505 took a minute or 2 and I found that extreme...
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, it can't. You don't have to wait for it - it doesn't stop you from reading books. It simply means that you can't search a book until it's indexed. It's nothing like what the Sony does.

Last edited by HarryT; 10-03-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #8
kevinpars
Connoisseur
kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Here is another hint - I had the bright idea to send about 20 books to my Kindle before it arrived. Then during the setup process, you connect to WiFi and your account. Then, you are given the initial prompts about how the Kindle works where you are asked to touch here etc. I had trouble getting through those prompts because the Kindle response was intermittent as it continued to download all those books. So you might want to download books after the setup process.
kevinpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Personally I never send books directly from Amazon to my Kindle. I load them all from Calibre, via USB.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #10
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
Okay, not blocking the device is good enough, wonder what will the indexing service do with cyrillic...
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It doesn't care what language the book's written it - it just indexes words.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #12
ezzkmo
igloo appraiser

Just an update on indexing. Dunno if the speedier processor helps or not, but my PW2 indexed approx. 430 books in ~12 hours. Maybe 50 books downloaded from my Amazon cloud, and the rest from Calibre. Nothing hung up and it works like a charm! No major difference over my PW1, but the light is more uniform and the minor interface changes are a welcome addition. Kudos to Amazon for sticking with a solid machine and just choosing to tweak it and make it the best it can be.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #13
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's a very good idea to load books in small batches (say 20 at a time) and wait for each batch to finish indexing before loading the next. Less chance of problems that way.
If one has a Kindle Paperwhite which has indexed all books fine, I think it'd be safe to just dump all of them onto the KPW2. I can't really believe that a book that indexes OK on the PW1 would hang the PW2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenDonkey View Post
Can the indexing be disabled or tricked some way to skip books? I'm getting mine tomorrow (hopefully without fancy colors on the screen), but waiting that long for indexing... my old PRS-505 took a minute or 2 and I found that extreme...
You can just read. The indexer suspends for some time as soon as you touch the Kindle.

Last edited by Katsunami; 10-03-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
And FWIW, if you dig around and find mentions of a disableIndexing or stopIndexing command in the search bar: don't bother, it's a noop on the PW .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #15
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I know this is the preferred method but I am just too lazy for it. I load all my books, @250 at once and let it index overnight. But this may be easier for me since I have my Fire as a backup reading device.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote