Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #301
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I'm confused.

I had version 5.3.2. I successfully did the jailbreak and installed the collections manager (yea me!). Then, as part of a troubleshooting procedure with Amazon, they had me upgrade to 5.3.3. As part of the upgrade, I got a notice saying it wasn't a test kindle anymore, and the collections manager doesn't work.

Comment 8 at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...55#post2395055 seems to imply that I don't have to downgrade my system, and can just reinstall the kindlet and developer's certificates, but the first page here seems to imply that I have to downgrade to 5.3.1 and then redo the kindlet and developer's certificate.

can some one who knows what they're talking about hold my hand through this, so I can get the collections manager to work again?

Thanks.
You are at 5.3.3 and still jailbroken? (note: 5.3.2 is for a different machine, did you mean 5.3.1?)

Then just install the Kindlet developers certificates.

Once that is done - re-install anything that doesn't work with versions that work on 5.3.3
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #302
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
How do I know whether I'm still jailbroken or not?

did the notification that I'm not a test unit anymore mean that I'm not jailbroken?

post #1 says that the jailbreak will survive the update to 5.3.3, but it doesn't seem to on mine. I guess I have to downgrade and re-jailbreak. unless there are individual files I can re-load (kindlet and developer's certificates?)? if so, where do I get those files? all I found was the original zip file for the jailbreak.

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 01-24-2013 at 06:23 PM.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #303
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How do I know whether I'm still jailbroken or not?

did the notification that I'm not a test unit anymore mean that I'm not jailbroken?
That meant the Kindlet (Jailbreak) Developers certificates are gone.
(Normal for the upgrade you did).

So try to install those, if an error, report the error code.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #304
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Where do I get the developer's certificates?

I just tried to downgrade to 5.3.1, and got an "update unsuccessful" notice - error code 3.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #305
freewheeling
Nameless Being

I just jail... which begs a question. Is the past tense of jailbreak jailbreaked or jailbroke, and is the adjective form jailbroken?

Anyway, I just jailbroke my PW which had the 5.3.1 firmware. Will this give me the ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound or, at worst, use a hyphenation algorithm and/or ragged right justification? That's the primary duhful with my PW at this point. It would also be cool to have a decent collection/sub-collection/sub-sub-collection navigation structure, but that's asking a bit much--almost like leaping tall buildings.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #306
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeling View Post
Will this give me the ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound
Though I don't need to leap tall buildings, this bold guess left me almost envious of shown fantasy and undoubtedly suspicious of something I may missed in jailbreak consequences besides becoming faster than a speeding bullet and more powerful than a locomotive.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:48 AM   #307
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
I'm confused.

I had version 5.3.2. I successfully did the jailbreak and installed the collections manager (yea me!). Then, as part of a troubleshooting procedure with Amazon, they had me upgrade to 5.3.3. As part of the upgrade, I got a notice saying it wasn't a test kindle anymore, and the collections manager doesn't work.

Comment 8 at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...55#post2395055 seems to imply that I don't have to downgrade my system, and can just reinstall the kindlet and developer's certificates, but the first page here seems to imply that I have to downgrade to 5.3.1 and then redo the kindlet and developer's certificate.

can some one who knows what they're talking about hold my hand through this, so I can get the collections manager to work again?

Thanks.
The jailbreak as such survives the update to 5.3.3. But it cannot be *installed* on a non-jailbroken 5.3.3 FW - which is irrelevant in your case, because it was already installed before the upgrade.

Concerning the required packages, you'll find everything in the first post of the CM thread. You need to reinstall the developer certificates.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #308
BeccaPrice
Wizard

thanks, ixtab for being so patient for me. I went to the collections manager thread, re-downloaded the kindlet and developer's certificate zip files, and installed them, and now things are working back the way they should. I was concerned for a bit.

(you have no idea the courage it's taking me to do this stuff - I really don't know what I'm doing, so am following directions blindly, and am rather impressed with myself that I actually get them to work. Maybe I'll try the margins hack next?)
Old 01-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #309
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Maybe I'll try the margins hack next?
You cannot do that yet with 5.3.3. The margins only worked before the update. Ixtab is working on making it compatible with 5.3.3 - keep an eye out on the JBPatch thread. I am sure he will announce it there as soon as it gets done.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #310
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Thanks for letting me know, DuckieTigger. I'll watch over there.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #311
ios
ios began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite
I executed this on firmware 5.3.1, everything appeared to work. The log says everything was successful.

All update bins disappear upon eject / update your kindle is greyed out. I have tried many, including but not limited to update_kindlet-jailbreak-20121029_install.bin (and 1007), update_jbpatch_3.1.1_fw531_install.bin and update_usbnet_0.7.N_install.bin.

As a test, I touch-ed ENABLE_DIAGS, which was completely successful (booted into diag mode).

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by ios; 01-26-2013 at 06:08 PM.
ios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #312
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ios: Please post the first four characters of your Paperwhite's serial number (found under Settings > Device Info), and a short description of where you bought it and its networking capabilities (Wifi? Wifi+3G?).

It's possible that you have a device which we simply don't know about yet, so the custom updates would not be suitable for it (the .bins contain the "supported serial number prefixes").
Old 01-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #313
ios
ios began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite
Thanks for the reply!

Serial number prefix: B01C, its from Amazon.ca, Wifi+3G.
ios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #314
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ios View Post
Thanks for the reply!

Serial number prefix: B01C, its from Amazon.ca, Wifi+3G.
Well, now we know what is in between B01B and B01D
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
Old 01-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #315
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Well, now we know what is in between B01B and B01D
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
... and more importantly, we know that B01C is indeed a new prefix that isn't supported yet. I'll forward this information to NiLuJe, and once kindletool is adapted, the other hacks should follow.

@ios: Thanks for the input! Unfortunately, all that you can do now is wait, sorry.