Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
Jodes
Jodes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS1 & Kobo
Using more than 1 ereader with Calibre

I am new to Calibre and have decided to try using it as using PC Reader & Adobe Digital Editions is messy, so I am hoping this will help me tidy up my book collection and streamline the process of up loading to my ereader.
I have a Sony PRS T1 and my husband has a basic Kobo. Can I use both of these on Calibre?
When I intalled it, the Installation Wizard asked me to select my device but only gave me the opportunity to select 1 device. Will I be able to manage my husband's erearder (Kobo) as well as my own. I have searched the manual and cannot find an answer.
Please help.
Thank you
Jodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
donbrubaker
Enthusiast
donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: LB Mars, Voyage, iPad Mini
Jodes - Yes, I use multiple devices with Calibre and you can support multiple devices in the way you are describing. For descriptive purposes let's assume you have non-drmed ebooks. You can add all the books to Calibre and they will then be available in your "library."

When you connect a device to calibre it will show you what is on that device and allow you to move content from your library onto the device or a storage card on that device. You can then repeat the process with the second reader.

A couple of considerations...

1) I'm told that you can't use both Calibre and Sony's management software with the same device... you have to use 1 or the other.

2) If your ebooks are all "DRMed" epub (you mentioned Adobe Digital Editions) then you can use Calibre to get the content to your readers, but the readers may not be able to open the content. In that case you may want to consider removing the "DRM" which is legal and illegal in various locations.
donbrubaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbrubaker View Post
1) I'm told that you can't use both Calibre and Sony's management software with the same device... you have to use 1 or the other.

2) If your ebooks are all "DRMed" epub (you mentioned Adobe Digital Editions) then you can use Calibre to get the content to your readers, but the readers may not be able to open the content. In that case you may want to consider removing the "DRM" which is legal and illegal in various locations.
1 - at least on the 505, you can use both, just probably best to only have one running at time. Copy something with the Sony software, close it, then start calibre (or vice versa)

2 - You can open DRM ebooks copied with calibre on your reader if the reader has been authorized. You just cannot open DRMed content in Calibre itself.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you have multiple devices you might want to install the Reading List plugin. It helps with managing which books go to which device.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:20 AM   #5
Jodes
Jodes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS1 & Kobo
Thank you all very much. I have so much to learn.
Jodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:31 AM   #6
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
I have all our eBooks in Calibre but I only plug one reader in at a time

It may confuse Calibre to have two readers plugged in at once, it would certainly confuse me !
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelch View Post
I have all our eBooks in Calibre but I only plug one reader in at a time

It may confuse Calibre to have two readers plugged in at once, it would certainly confuse me !
Calibre cannot recognise more than one reading device on the USB at a time. If you plug in two at the same time then only the first one seen by the system will be recognised by Calibre. Unplugging the first one is required for the second one to then be recognised.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote