Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-20-2012, 06:17 AM   #9751
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Herge is Georges H.... something. Herge (HG) is his initials backwards.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #9752
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Herge is Georges H.... something. Herge (HG) is his initials backwards.
I didn't know this, but you are correct. Except for one small thing: Hergé is pronounced "Er-che", so Hergé = RG = Georges R***. The last name is four letters. Nevertheless, you're so close to the answer that you get the point for the full name
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #9753
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iznogood View Post
I didn't know this, but you are correct. Except for one small thing: Hergé is pronounced "Er-che", so Hergé = RG = Georges R***. The last name is four letters. Nevertheless, you're so close to the answer that you get the point for the full name
No wonder I couldn't get the last name! Remé? (Not sure about the accents.)
Old 10-20-2012, 07:07 AM   #9754
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Except for one small thing: Hergé is pronounced "Er-che",
Shades of The Lavender Hill Mob! Luckily not such an important error.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:19 AM   #9755
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
1. What artist used the pseudonym "Moebius"? What comic(s) did this artist create? - Jean Henri, Heavy Metal (one of my all time favourites). Sadly he died earlier this year.

10. What comic artist used the pseudonym "Jack Kirby"? What comic(s) did this artist create? I know he did a lot of work for Marvel on stuff like the Fantastic Four and Captain America.

I also know Hergé is Georges Remi - they had a programme on TV recently about him. Another of my boyhood faves.

Last edited by orlok; 10-20-2012 at 07:25 AM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #9756
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
1. What artist used the pseudonym "Moebius"? What comic(s) did this artist create? - Jean Henri, Heavy Metal (one of my all time favourites). Sadly he died earlier this year.

10. What comic artist used the pseudonym "Jack Kirby"? What comic(s) did this artist create? I know he did a lot of work for Marvel on stuff like the Fantastic Four and Captain America.

I also know Hergé is Georges Remi - they had a programme on TV recently about him. Another of my boyhood faves.
Correct on all accounts. Jean Henri is just his first names, do you know his last names as well? From what you write I'm positive we're talking about the same guy, so you get the point for the name, but I was hoping to get the last name. "Heavy Metal" was a magazine started by Moebius together with Jean-Pierre Dionnet, Philippe Druillet and Bernard Farkas, but it was not a comic strip that was drawn as far as I am aware. If I am mistaken on this point, please do correct me. If you know any of his comics (i.e. some of the series he created) there are a lot of bonus points to get here still beause he was very productive. He died in March this year. It was sad, as you say, because he was a brilliant artist.

You are also right about Georges Remi. I give both you and pdurrant one point each for finding his name.

Quote:
Shades of The Lavender Hill Mob! Luckily not such an important error.
I still have a hangover from yesterday, so my head is not in its usual mode yet, but I fail to see where The Lavender Hill Mob comes into it?

Last edited by Iznogood; 10-20-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #9757
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
In my haste at knowing an answer, I messed up. His name is/was Jean Giraud. Very sexy and beautifully detailed art - I still have a big collection of back issues of Heavy Metal (Metal Hurlant) in my attic.

Don't think I can name a specific comic strip that he started. I know he was involved in the concept design work for Alien (along with H R Giger, of course).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #9758
Iznogood
Guru

Jean Henri Gaston Giraud, short Jean Giraud, did sign some of his series with the pseudonym "Mœbius". He also used "Gir" to sign his work. As orlok says, beautiful and sexy art, a true artist. I attach half a page from one of his albums for reference.

Last edited by Iznogood; 10-20-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #9759
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I still have a hangover from yesterday, so my head is not in its usual mode yet, but I fail to see where The Lavender Hill Mob comes into it?
In spoilers
Spoiler:
The crooks smuggle the gold out of the country disguised as guilded eiffel towers, with instructions to the retail outlet not to see any crates marked with an 'R'. Unfortunately, some of the solid gold models are sold, as the letter on the crate isn't pronounced the same way in English and French.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #9760
Iznogood
Guru

Quote:
In spoilers
Spoiler:
The crooks smuggle the gold out of the country disguised as guilded eiffel towers, with instructions to the retail outlet not to see any crates marked with an 'R'. Unfortunately, some of the solid gold models are sold, as the letter on the crate isn't pronounced the same way in English and French.
Ah, I see. I have never seen that film, so I didn't understand the reference at first, but Alec Guinness and Stanley Holloway in the same film sounds like a good film
Old 10-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #9761
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Ah, I see. I have never seen that film, so I didn't understand the reference at first, but Alec Guinness and Stanley Holloway in the same film sounds like a good film
Oh, definitely worth an hour or two of your time to watch it. It's got Sid James in it too!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #9762
Iznogood
Guru

The point score so far is:
orlok: 4 points
Dreams: 2 points
Bookpossum: 2 point
pdurrant: 1 point
Shayne Parkinson: 1 point
Kumabjorn 1 point

There are still plenty of points left, so things can still change. It looks like it's about time for some hints on some of the questions, so here goes:

2. RobVel is famous for having created a very well-known bellboy
3: Think blue
5. When RobVel was wounded in 1940, "Jijé" continued with the comic about the bellboy
8. This comic artist was educated engineer, but started drawing Donald Duck stories for Gladstone in 1986. He has since become almost as famous as Donald Duck himself, and he is one of the best-known Duck writers. He is also a big collector of comics. His "signature" D.U.C.K is not his initials, but a dedication to someone very special to a lot of people
9. "Addison" is this artists first name, but he almost never uses it. He usually signs his strip with a short version of his middle name and his last name. His most famous comic strip is among the oldest comics still being made by the original creator. His comics are syndicated to thousands of newspapers all over the world. He created a lot of comic strips, so there are a lot of bonus points to get here
16. This creature started a spin-off series from the story about the bellboy mentioned earlier in this post. This spin-off started the publishing house Marsu Productions, and the name of the publishing house is inspired by the name of this creature. The artists first name is André, and he worked with a lot of well-known series, so there are a lot of bonus points to get here...

Last edited by Iznogood; 10-21-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:12 AM   #9763
Iznogood
Guru

Seems like this became more difficult than I had thought. I'll try with more hints:

3 - Think blue and white. A film based on this comic was released in 3D to the theatres last year
8 - This artist has also worked for the European company Egmont untill 2006, when he retired because of problems with his eyes. He has got an Eisner Award for his work on "The Life and Times of $crooge McDuck", a twelve episode saga about the worlds richest duck.
9 - This famous american comic artist is most famous for documenting the life and times in an american military camp, but has created a lot of other series.
16 - Since it seems that the questions about european comics are the hardest, I can reveal that the artists name is André Franquin. Which other series has he created? One point for each series
Old 10-22-2012, 05:25 AM   #9764
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
The problem is that you read comics as a child, or I did, and then you read it in your own language, so knowing their original name isn't always that easy. But if I have to take a guess at #9 it would be Nr 13 Wilmer, I believe in English he was known as Bailey, but I can't be sure.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:35 AM   #9765
Iznogood
Guru

Well done! As you point out, comics are usually translated, but translated names can in most cases be verified, so you don't have to answer the english name. Just come with a name, and I'll try to verify it.

Nr. 13 Wilmer (also known as Knasen I believe?) in Swedish, Beetle Bailey in English, Billy in Norwegian, is among the oldest comics still being made by the original creator. There are still points to get for the creators name and other series by this artist

Last edited by Iznogood; 10-22-2012 at 05:42 AM.